GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions

Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2009 Golf MKV GTi Dsg
ABS Control module failing, DSG disengaging!

Hello everyone,
i have a problem on my 57k miles 09 MKV GTi. It got involved in an accident, the most obvious damages got repaired, except a cracked subfame bracket, and bent stretch bolts that i believe let to my front right wheel pushed back a few millimeters. However, it lately shows some more issues.

Firstly, it threw some codes in a lot of control modules, all pointing to the same thing, "lost communication with ABS Control module".

The most apparent abnormalities would be:
1. A beeping sound that comes up randomly while driving, even when switching the ignition to ON position at times

2. The beep comes with a couple of lights, traction control, ABS, and brake warning light, and at time low fuel warning light

3. At times(more frequently lately), whenever all mentioned above on #2 happen, the speedometer would just fall straight to zero yet the car is still maintaining its speed. This can last for the whole journey!

4. It shows steering wheel light, traction and tire pressure light all the time

5. Lately, the car would feel a little sluggish when ever these(#2) happen

6. Very lately, what got me insane was, the DSG disengages while on low speed, in traffic of just out of the parking. the engine would just rev up, with the lever still in D, with no response. This requires me to switch off the engine, and then on again, it will be then it gets normal.

I am hoping to replace the ABS CM, and see how it holds up. However, i am struggling to find the matching part number as VW dealers rob me on that component.
Can you please suggest and guide me on solving these problems. All my speed sensors are okay and i believe there isn't any open connections, unless i have to dig deeper on that one.

Thanks in advance for your constructive, informative and brilliant answers.
peace!

Last edited by Lesleyman; 10-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Lesleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
vwengineer
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 5 GTI (stock AXX)
I had the speedo going to zero, beeping and ABS light for a second several times when driving. Turns out it was a loose battery ground. But your issues seems more serious
vwengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

so you just tightened a negative terminal on the battery??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwengineer View Post
I had the speedo going to zero, beeping and ABS light for a second several times when driving. Turns out it was a loose battery ground. But your issues seems more serious
Old 10-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
vwengineer
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 5 GTI (stock AXX)
Yes, in my case I had removed it to do a repair and forgot to tighten it back. Yours might be an electrical issue as well
vwengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

Okay Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwengineer View Post
Yes, in my case I had removed it to do a repair and forgot to tighten it back. Yours might be an electrical issue as well
Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 AM   #6
Fred930
Scirocco MK II Track Car

Drives: 2009 VW GTI 6MT White
Well, I don't have DSG, but I suggest you read up (on this forum) the dozens of pages related to ABS Control Module failures in 2009 MKV GTI's. VW did offer an extended warranty (eventually) to cover this costly repair, but the car is now 10 years old and you need to check with your Dealer to see if the warranty is still valid. Hope so, as it's an expensive module + labor (or was back when below threads were active).

To read up on the subject, see:

My post #553: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showt...151505&page=26
My repair: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showt...ght=ABS+Module

In summary, ABS Controller failures were common in early MKV's. While the repair CAN be done by a competent person, it's not very easy. The module is in a difficult spot to reach and you must be especially careful to avoid damaging / cross threading the 6 brake lines. And you need a Ross Tech VagCom scanner to reset / adapt several (4 as I recall) sub-systems. Hopefully VW's extended warranty is still valid.
Fred930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 AM   #7
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks for the information. I will check the links. The car is not under warranty, everything is on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred930 View Post
Well, I don't have DSG, but I suggest you read up (on this forum) the dozens of pages related to ABS Control Module failures in 2009 MKV GTI's. VW did offer an extended warranty (eventually) to cover this costly repair, but the car is now 10 years old and you need to check with your Dealer to see if the warranty is still valid. Hope so, as it's an expensive module + labor (or was back when below threads were active).

To read up on the subject, see:

My post #553: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showt...151505&page=26
My repair: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showt...ght=ABS+Module

In summary, ABS Controller failures were common in early MKV's. While the repair CAN be done by a competent person, it's not very easy. The module is in a difficult spot to reach and you must be especially careful to avoid damaging / cross threading the 6 brake lines. And you need a Ross Tech VagCom scanner to reset / adapt several (4 as I recall) sub-systems. Hopefully VW's extended warranty is still valid.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
BudgetPhoenix
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI DSG
Theres a recall out on the ABS modules for the 09, very common for them to fail. bring to VW and they should fix for free if thats the issue. Same thing happened to mine and many others but I had to replace it myself before the recall was issued.

(it could potentially be an ABS wheel speed sensor issue too but look up the recall on the 09 for the ABS module they will fix at any mileage you should have gotten notices in the mail for recall too)

*oh just realized you are in Lesotho lol....may be out of luck on that recall ..
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
BudgetPhoenix
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI DSG
Also likely your DSG mechatronic is dying or some of the solenoids in it are. Pretty common too unfortunately.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:14 AM   #10
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

yah it definitely wont apply Unfortunately, i have no option but to deal with it myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Theres a recall out on the ABS modules for the 09, very common for them to fail. bring to VW and they should fix for free if thats the issue. Same thing happened to mine and many others but I had to replace it myself before the recall was issued.

(it could potentially be an ABS wheel speed sensor issue too but look up the recall on the 09 for the ABS module they will fix at any mileage you should have gotten notices in the mail for recall too)

*oh just realized you are in Lesotho lol....may be out of luck on that recall ..
Old 10-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #11
Lesleyman
Passed Driver's Ed

Can't the ABS CM issue lead to TCM being confused, not necessarily dying? im not sure how the two systems communicate and what kind of data they're sharing.
maybe someone can clarify on that.
what i have spotted it it does that whenever the ABS issue randomly becomes worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Also likely your DSG mechatronic is dying or some of the solenoids in it are. Pretty common too unfortunately.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
GTI's
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2008 GTI Z4Z4 P03 PIP
How about if you post up the complete Auto Scan for this car. As for ABS Dtc you might get other Dtc in other modules because of the ABS issue/s.
GTI's is online now   Reply With Quote