GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Gray MKV GTI

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I would take a shell simply in the case that I fail this inspection for stupid little things. My buddy has done this many times but always manages to fail for cracked mudguards, broken fog bulb, or something silly like that.

Why have you not mentioned this mysterious East Coast state, yet???.... you're asking for somebody on here to provide you their VIN, yet you're treating your state like, uhm, a "state secret."

It would be more helpful to your case if you provided pics of the car and this hood... and I'm still not clear on the hood VIN issue. Hoods are replaced all of the time due to front end collisions. I'm not aware of a VIN anywhere on the hood, and even if there was one, then you have a bill of sale, so why do you need a VIN? Any question at inspection, you have the FB bill of sale from the guy that never responds, right?

I'm sorry, but your lack of detail of where you are or who you are and the fact that your brand new to this forum given your question is for somebody's VIN # is a red flag. We of course don't know if you're really even in the United States. Maybe you are, maybe you're not - you've yet to provide what state you're rebuilding this car. Maybe if you provided your specific state, somebody else on here might be familiar with that state and be able to be more helpful with your concerns -- did you not consider that?

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
My apologies to poster but nobody knows you and you are asking for personal info with a story that may or may not be true. You would have to be on here quite a while to get that kind of an ask.

Nobody seems to be addressing the inconsistency on the hood.

Is there a VIN on the hood or not? In his response, he advised the reason he came to this forum was SPECIFICALLY because he bought a hood on FB and the guy wouldn't give him the VIN. In another response, he says he needs somebody else's VIN to explain why the hood has a different VIN number.

He wrote:
The car was in a front end collision and the hood was badly twisted. I have since had the frame repaired from the accident. I cant use the same VIN for the hood because I am not reusing the hood that came with the car since it was so badly damage. I needed the VIN from the gti I got the new hood from. Just cant get it so I am looking for someone willing to just let me have their vin so I can prove the hood isn't stolen. In the end, the worst that can happen is that I have to buy a nee hood. If you ever find a shell or blown motor mkv gti let me know. Thanks for the advice.

Again, nobody has addressed the underlying reason he's claiming to need a VIN. Is the VIN stamped on the hood somewhere, and if so, the hood is commonly replaced in accidents, so why would the hood VIN need to match even if there was a VIN on the hood, which I don't think there is. In addition, there are many aftermarket manufacturers of MKV hoods, so not every hood is even a genuine VW hood, anyway. How does this hood issue make sense as a reason for requesting somebody give him their VIN?

The story doesn't add up to me - in addition, the OP isn't even providing details of which state he's doing this from. How about a pic of this car, how about the OP name the actual state -- why use "East Coast" and be secretive about the state.

The whole thing sounds super sketchy to me.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

Is there a VIN on the hood or not? In his response, he advised the reason he came to this forum was SPECIFICALLY because he bought a hood on FB and the guy wouldn't give him the VIN. In another response, he says he needs somebody else's VIN to explain why the hood has a different VIN number.

He wrote:

Again, nobody has addressed the underlying reason he's claiming to need a VIN. Is the VIN stamped on the hood somewhere, and if so, the hood is commonly replaced in accidents, so why would the hood VIN need to match even if there was a VIN on the hood, which I don't think there is. In addition, there are many aftermarket manufacturers of MKV hoods, so not every hood is even a genuine VW hood, anyway. How does this hood issue make sense as a reason for requesting somebody give him their VIN?

The story doesn't add up to me - in addition, the OP isn't even providing details of which state he's doing this from. How about a pic of this car, how about the OP name the actual state -- why use "East Coast" and be secretive about the state.

I just wanted a vin from a similar color car. I was recommended to do this from my friend. I have plenty of vins from my other parts, but none of them are body panels except my front bumper (i got from a white 09 2 door). Im in CT and we have a form where we list the major components we purchased used and must include a vin.
Trying to post pics through my phone isnt working. Will send some after I get off from work?
Also, if there is a vin on the hood, could someone tell me where it would be located. I couldn't find it.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Why not put the VIN from another part your replaced then? Probably that these cars were parted anyway

That was my back up plan. A lot of parts were just parts though so I have no idea what color the cars they came off of were. Going to try to search these vins and see if any are United Gray.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

He wrote:

No the hood does not have the Vehicle Identification Number stamped into it or even a label with the number, OP just wants a Vehicle Identification Number that can be logged in the file for where the parts came from.

MK5 have at least 4 places that the VIN can be easily found, the others are not made public knowledge for a reason.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
No the hood does not have the Vehicle Identification Number stamped into it or even a label with the number, OP just wants a Vehicle Identification Number that can be logged in the file for where the parts came from.

MK5 have at least 4 places that the VIN can be easily found, the others are not made public knowledge for a reason.

Thanks brother:thumbsup: