GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For Years To Come: Build Thread

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Unfortunately, if you rear end someone, you're always at fault.
Yeah, like I said, 'depending on the situation.' I'm not 100% in agreement that the car that rear-ends someone should always be at fault. There are plenty of situations I can think of that the car in front would be at fault, but I realize this is just kinda how these types of collisions are treated (blaming the rear car).

Corgon

Ready to race!
Alright, I just got done ordering all my parts:

New front and rear bumper
New front right fender and fender liner
Euro lip
ECS aluminium skid plate
StopTech front slotted and drilled rotors
Rear trailing arm and control arm
Rear top strut mount
Polyurethane stage 2 bushing kit
Avant Garde M240 18x8. (I wanted 18x9s but they would have to make them and they said it could take up to 6 weeks plus shipping...and since I need the car back on the road I can't quite wait that long.)
Michilin Pilot Sport A/S3 235x40

I really wanted to get front and rear sway bars, but shipping ended up being more expensive than I anticipated and I need some money left over for paint/other things that might be broken. I plan on working on the car Saturday the 6th and I'll be taking pictures/videos of the whole process!

Corgon

Ready to race!
So over the weekend I got a bunch of parts in and proceeded to put the car back together. I didn't have a lift so I had to put the car on jack stands and lay on my back the whole time, which SUCKED. Two things I didn't realize were broken were the rear tie rod and wheel bearing, so I had to go hunt for those things. Finally after 4 days of work everything was done. I did a rudimentary alignment in my driveway and the car drives straight, no wobbles, no vibrations, nothing! I just dropped off the front bumper and fender at a shop today to get them painted.

I also took the car into firestone to get an alignment but now the car drives like shit. :(

Now that my wheels fit, I plan on going lower, but here's how it sits at the moment.

Corgon

Ready to race!
So I finally got a lot of little things sorted out, painted my front and rear bumper and my fender, and washed the car! I'm satisfied with how the paint matched, the clear coat is a bit different to the clear coat that's on the car and it kinda stands out a little bit under direct light...maybe I'm just too conscious of it. They didn't do a great job painting the fender so I have to take it back sometime when I'm back in town for UNI.

Anyways, I took a couple of pictures so here's one! My plan is to lower the car a bit more and add some spacers just to flush the wheels out a bit more. Things I still need to get done: replace CV join on front right, get a new dust shield, get new license plate light holders, get a brake rotor screw because I stripped the hell out of mine, and replace the lower ball join on the front right.

I've pretty much torn down and rebuilt my entire suspension so if you have any questions, let me know.

Corgon

Ready to race!
Got to drive aound COTA for about 8 laps. It was part of the Cup Cake Meet parade lap that turned into a full blown track day. I was definitely limited by how much I rubbed and my rear brake pads that were pretty much non-existent by the 8th lap. Regardless, it was a blast and I'm hooked on track driving now.

https://youtu.be/r80Gl6gNu0c

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
On that alignment from firestone, can't you take it back and have em realign it? They have a lifetime alignment if you get it for your car.

Corgon

Ready to race!
On that alignment from firestone, can't you take it back and have em realign it? They have a lifetime alignment if you get it for your car.

Yeah I have the lifetime alignment. Problem is, they can still really fuck up your alignment with the machine. I took it to Firestone recently and had to get it redone at VW. You gotta find someone who knows how to work on lowered cars.

Corgon

Ready to race!
So when I had my accident, I didn't know it at the time, but I managed to bend the top part of my steering knuckle. It's kind of crazy that that massive piece of metal gave out before the control arm or the strut. I pulled an old knuckle off an 07 jetta at a junk yard, gave it a good cleaning and painted it. I ordered a bearing and yesterday I got to work. The only hiccup I had was the fact that I didn't have a 27mm socket for the axle bolt, but a buddy came through for me. The job took about an hour and I finally have camber adjustment again!

I didn't think to take any pics as I was in a bit of a rush :(