GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Airbag light

mrmat

Hello

Recently I installed a Parrott bluetooth handsfree, which involved taking my radio dashboard apart.

Long and short, I think I may have disconnected a plug and now my airbag warning light comes on when I start the engine.

Is this just a case of trying to pull the radio dash apart again, and checking all the connections? Or has the warning been irreversibly triggered?

My MOT is due in 5 days and I *really* want to avoid paying my VW dealer £160 to look at this just to plug a cable back in...

I'm based in London, does anyone know of any cheapo places that can fix it?

And is it safe to get it done on the cheap, instead of using a main dealer? (I'm worried maybe I *did* knock something in the side arm and the airbag became disconnected?)

Thanks

Mat

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
This is TOTALLY the wrong part of the forums. BUT I think I've got an answer for you.

It's pretty common to get an airbag light when you take the dash apart. Just clear the code, if you don't have a scanner or vagcom just disconnect the battery for a while until it re-sets. I know the battery works on CEL/MIL so I think it should with airbag light.

Bottom line is if you get the light cleared it's not likely to come back on (for a while at least) so you can pass inspection.

Dealers in UK really charge 160 ($300ish USD) just to plug your car in to the computer?!?! Or is it just a London thing? That's nuts either way.

Anyway cheers from Murica' and good luck!

mrmat

@BlaineWasHere

My apologies for posting in the wrong part of the forums :/

Had *no* idea I could just disconnect the battery to clear the code. Presumably this also means that, should the light be coming on for other reasons, I'd then know about it because it would come back on after reset? That's my hope.

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but are there any other 'gotchas' I need to be aware of if I pull the battery out and leave it for a while? I do have my radio code so that should be okay. But will anything else be reset, which could potentially mean my MOT (service) doesn't pass?

Update; my local Volkswagen Main Dealer asks for £140 not £160. That's just to *look* at the problem. They said that if the fix was simple it wouldn't cost any more than that...

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Unhooking the battery should not have any other ill effects. Just like if your battery died overnight.

Also if there is a real problem the light will come back on.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
I had an airbag light once. Disconnecting the battery didn't do anything for it. But, I went into vag-com and cleared the code. Works just fine now. :)

mrmat

I disconnected the battery for 30 mins.

Didn't work :(

Anyone know how I can get hold of a vagcom, or find someone who has one? I'm based in West London.

Thanks!

Mat

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I disconnected the battery for 30 mins.

Didn't work :(

Anyone know how I can get hold of a vagcom, or find someone who has one? I'm based in West London.

Thanks!

Mat

Try going over into the regional section of the forum and post up you need vagcom help clearing an airbag code.