GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > New MkV Buying Information + Dealer Reviews Forum
Ringer Racing

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
dark.blood_26
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI MKV
Buying assistance GTI Mk5

I just test drove a 2008 GTI with 177k miles on it. The guy had the timing belt broke on him when it had 160k on it and damaged 8 exhaust valves. This could be a good thing and a bad thing. Good because I don't have to worry about the timing belt breaking for a while but I'm worried about other stuff that may have broke or soon will break. Brakes and shocks had been changed. Oil had been changed regularly. Exterior and interior looks great for an 08. There's no weird noises on the engine and everything seems to be working fine.

Things that bothers me: there's a little bit of vibration coming from the front right of the car. It could be just the wheel alignment or something. Also, there seems to be rust on the rotors. It's not really a big deal but it looks like the car hasn't been driven much lately. Lastly, 177k on an 08 is so much.

Is there anything I should look for? The guy is asking 5k for it. Is it a good deal?
dark.blood_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
Get it PPIed by a certified mechanic and make sure he or she checks your concerns. That way you have documentation prior to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk