GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sticking HID Shutter

doc280

Ready to race!
:thumbsup: What was the grit of the paste used?

0.5 microns

I polished the plunger by hand and paper towel. It only took 3 or 4 minutes to remove the scoring.

Inside the solenoid there is a fiber material which the plunger rides in. I did not see any damage to the fiber material or any dirt or debris. I did blow the solenoid out with air, just in case there was something I did not see. I did this prior to polishing the plunger and it made no difference. It took the polishing to get it the work properly.

Also I located zero signs of any type of factory lubrication of any of the moving parts, so I kept it that way. I imagine lubrication in this environment could vaporize and condense later on the bulb causing a not good result.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
0.5 microns

I polished the plunger by hand and paper towel. It only took 3 or 4 minutes to remove the scoring.

Inside the solenoid there is a fiber material which the plunger rides in. I did not see any damage to the fiber material or any dirt or debris. I did blow the solenoid out with air, just in case there was something I did not see. I did this prior to polishing the plunger and it made no difference. It took the polishing to get it the work properly.

Also I located zero signs of any type of factory lubrication of any of the moving parts, so I kept it that way. I imagine lubrication in this environment could vaporize and condense later on the bulb causing a not good result.

This post and your earlier photos of HID assembly are excellent!

Thanks for taking time to document the symptoms, analysis, and repair procedure, which compared to buying an entire new assembly will save some of us a large bundle of money.

Nice work.

doc280

Ready to race!
This post and your earlier photos of HID assembly are excellent!

Thanks for taking time to document the symptoms, analysis, and repair procedure, which compared to buying an entire new assembly will save some of us a large bundle of money.

Nice work.

Thanks for the compliment. I most likely am in a very unique position to find strange things popping up, as my high mileage GTI, keeps putting on the miles. I hope to continue to find inexpensive ways to solve the problems.