GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sticking HID Shutter

doc280

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if it is possible to deactivate the shutters in the headlights to prevent them from going into high beam mode. The reason I ask is because I have one which gets stuck in the high beam mode and I either have to smack the headlight or hit a bump in the road to get it back down. The GTI is in Euro mode so I do not need the hid high beam as the halogen beams come on. The car does not produce an error code for the shutter being stuck in the up position.

I know I could replace the headlight however I would rather hold on to my money and I hate how expensive the hid stuff is.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Vcds is your friend. Need to use the coding for HID without shutters or pull the pins for the shutters.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
First see if you can do an "auto scan" and save all the current coding that exists in the car as it now stands before you change any coding. Have no idea if Carista can do that. You want to change the coding in Central Electronics control module J519 for your HID with shutters to HID without shutters and pull the pins for shutters at headlight plug or at the J519 module. Here is a screenshot from Vcds.

Left side

Right side

Last edited:

doc280

Ready to race!
Thanks for the information, sorry it took me so long to respond to this, honey due list had been neglected.

Is it just me or do these wiring diagrams get more complex every year. I have been looking at the ones you provided and I have not found pin 11 yet.

I know Carista will allow me to print out a the fault check, however not sure about the customization section, I will check later today and also show you the light option it provides.

doc280

Ready to race!
I must have misread the Carista option it is to activate the halogen lights with the bi-xenon.

So if I just snip the wire going to pin 11, do you think all hell is going to break loose?

Attachments

• IMG_20181206_140115-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20181206_140115-1024x768.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 164

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I would prefer to de-pin 11 at both housing connector plugs than cutting the wires, just remember to tape the wires or pins off. I looks like you already have the FTP to come on with your high beams. You may get an error message in the MFD for the HID high beams without changing coding as posted earlier but I am not certain on that.

doc280

Ready to race!
I would prefer to de-pin 11 at both housing connector plugs than cutting the wires, just remember to tape the wires or pins off. I looks like you already have the FTP to come on with your high beams. You may get an error message in the MFD for the HID high beams without changing coding as posted earlier but I am not certain on that.

Thanks for the information. Reason I was think wire snip is because I have the proper tools to repair that, I have nothing to de-pin.

I will look at it next week, off to Vegas to play some poker. If I win I might purchase new lights.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You may find the tools for pin removal at a local chain automotive store for rent. Good luck in Vegas

doc280

Ready to race!
He called, four times the big blind, with a Q7 pre-flop ....wtf

My poker tournament dreams came to an end while betting pocket aces.

Disassemble and repair of my headlight is hopefully in order today.

doc280

Ready to race!
Shudder is doing its thing

I remove the headlight assembly from the GTI and disassembled it so I could operate the shudder by hand. The shudder of course would stick in the open position. I disassembled the shutter assembly and discovered that the solenoid plunger was sticking. Removed the plunger from the solenoid and found it had some scoring on the sides. To remove the scoring I used diamond paste, which is used to polish tungsten. Once the plunger was polished I cleaned it with alcohol and reassemble the headlight assembly and dropped it back in the car. The shudder function is back to 100%.

Attachments

• 20181216_165519-1280x720.jpg
    20181216_165519-1280x720.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 20181216_161150-1280x720.jpg
    20181216_161150-1280x720.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 20181216_161133-1280x720.jpg
    20181216_161133-1280x720.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 197