GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
So I got in my car to drive somewhere a couple days ago and right after I pulled out of the garage (no hard driving/wheels spinning/hard stops, etc, rolling/idling only) the ABS/ESP lights turned on along with a blinking 'brake' light. It also gave a ding when it happened. Car drives normally, but clearly has no traction control (and I assume no ABS/stability control). This issue does NOT reset when the car is restarted....same ding and accompanied lights. I checked my brake fluid and it looks full.

Just a reminder, had my car at the dealer for the recall and they said it checked out fine. This was just about 5 months ago.

So what are your thoughts....sounds like ABS module to me based on reading through this thread. And what are your opinions on if VW will cover this under the recall....my guess: very unlikely as they have 'eliminated liability' with their check IMO. I need to see if I can find a friend in the area with VAG-com to run codes.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
"Should there ever be an issue with the ABS control module after the new software is
installed, an authorized Volkswagen dealer will cover replacement of the ABS control
module if certain, specific fault codes are present at the time of diagnosis.
Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this letter) may
cause the ABS system warning light in your vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be
prepared to cover diagnosis and repair costs associated with these other, unrelated
conditions."

Good luck

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Thanks! Looks like I need to set up an appointment with the dealer. Fun....

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
You already have the software update, so as long as it's throwing either of the 2 replacement codes, they should swap it out at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frnkwhte

VWOA shot me down for replacing the module on my GTI even after failing their tests. Their reason was that they couldn't communicate with the module.. well that's because it's junk! So I'll be replacing it with one from a 2011/2012 and coding it with VCDS. My problem is that VCDS isn't reading the long code due to the communication issue. I've seen on other forums people looking it up by VIN/model etc. Anyone willing to help with generating my code?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ehabgo

Car(s)
Vw golf 2008
I have 2008 vw golf
same problem traction break abs light come on and 3 peeps
The problem happend due to open key switch and remove the battery wires and reconnected them with switch open ,then these lights come on.
After tow days the battery dead also alternator . I replaced them but the problem still .
Any sugestion brothers.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

triumph

VWOA shot me down for replacing the module on my GTI even after failing their tests. Their reason was that they couldn't communicate with the module.. well that's because it's junk! So I'll be replacing it with one from a 2011/2012 and coding it with VCDS. My problem is that VCDS isn't reading the long code due to the communication issue. I've seen on other forums people looking it up by VIN/model etc. Anyone willing to help with generating my code?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought there was something in this thread I read about adjusting the long code slightly for your car. Dropping a zero or something. :iono: Good luck, a shame you have to go through this to fix a safety flaw.

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed
"Should there ever be an issue with the ABS control module after the new software is
installed, an authorized Volkswagen dealer will cover replacement of the ABS control
module if certain, specific fault codes are present at the time of diagnosis.
Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this letter) may
cause the ABS system warning light in your vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be
prepared to cover diagnosis and repair costs associated with these other, unrelated
conditions."

Good luck

That's weird... I got a recall card in the mail, waited until winter, and just brought it in yesterday for the ABS recall. They replaced the module without hesitation and didn't charge me a penny for any diagnostics or testing...
So you are saying if they don't get the right codes they will bend you over a barrel? Is this on cars that didn't have an official recall?
Edit: oh, you are saying after the software fix is done if you get another code.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
That's weird... I got a recall card in the mail, waited until winter, and just brought it in yesterday for the ABS recall. They replaced the module without hesitation and didn't charge me a penny for any diagnostics or testing...
So you are saying if they don't get the right codes they will bend you over a barrel? Is this on cars that didn't have an official recall?
Edit: oh, you are saying after the software fix is done if you get another code.

That's straight from the recall notice, if after they do the software update and do not get the proper codes they send you on your way. If at a later time you get an Abs light and they match the ones they are looking for you get Abs module fix plus the diagnosis fee back. This is of course only for cars that are on recall to begin with.

All spelled out here

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V913-6017.pdf

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Just a FYI. I had this issue back in 2012 and replaced my ABS module with a used one. No problems till this past week all lit up again. Just took a corner at decent pace and traction control came on mid corner and a lit up again.

Had the notice and took to dealer. Of course my unit didn't "meet VW Criteria". Checked my OEM Original ABS Module Codes from my VagCom log back in 2012 same thing wouldn't have qualified.

I contacted VW Corporate and waiting on response from Regional case manager. Its a long shot but interested to hear what they have to say to mend or not mend the issue for myself and will bring up many people have this same issue.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Sometimes a clever customer will find the name and contact info of the regional case manager via LINKEDIN, thereby achieving direct customer to VW communication link sans dealer. :)

Just a FYI. I had this issue back in 2012 and replaced my ABS module with a used one. No problems till this past week all lit up again. Just took a corner at decent pace and traction control came on mid corner and a lit up again.

Had the notice and took to dealer. Of course my unit didn't "meet VW Criteria". Checked my OEM Original ABS Module Codes from my VagCom log back in 2012 same thing wouldn't have qualified.

I contacted VW Corporate and waiting on response from Regional case manager. Its a long shot but interested to hear what they have to say to mend or not mend the issue for myself and will bring up many people have this same issue.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Well... I discovered yesterday that if you just run the car without repairing it for about 2-3 years because VW lawyered their way around the recall, that your ABS module will eventually just die completely with no communication. When that happens, pretty much everything is screwed. No power assisted steering, no ABS, no speedometer, no floating gas tank, no mileage gauge change (which can be fun for figuring out how many miles to empty you are), the EPC, CEL, traction control lights all on, as well as power steering lights. My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

I'm going to plan on trying to do the repair with the used 08 module onto my 09 this weekend. I've been sitting on this used part for 2 years now. Time to do this stupid repair. I'll update Monday.

Lloyd Dobbler

Passed Driver's Ed
Well... I discovered yesterday that if you just run the car without repairing it for about 2-3 years because VW lawyered their way around the recall, that your ABS module will eventually just die completely with no communication. When that happens, pretty much everything is screwed. No power assisted steering, no ABS, no speedometer, no floating gas tank, no mileage gauge change (which can be fun for figuring out how many miles to empty you are), the EPC, CEL, traction control lights all on, as well as power steering lights. My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

I'm going to plan on trying to do the repair with the used 08 module onto my 09 this weekend. I've been sitting on this used part for 2 years now. Time to do this stupid repair. I'll update Monday.

Mine is acting up after the recall, too. I don't have the time or energy to replace the module myself. Two independent mechanics have told me to take it to the dealer. Dropping the car off tomorrow. Prepared for a painful bill.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
My attempted repair using a previous-revision unit off an 08 didn’t work. In fact, the wiring harness didn’t even match up. So I gave up, went to the dealer & bought an 18 GTI. I got a friend of a friend that’s already interested in my Rabbit even with the no-brakes condition it’s in. He was planning to tear it apart & pull the engine & throw a bunch of parts on it as a toy anyway... so he can start with that.