GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it time to sell?

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Did you find/price out the new car, btw?
And how soon until you pull the trigger?

Yes! They've sourced one in Northern Illinois, and swapped inventory for a Jetta R-Line. Should be in town early this week! Pulling the trigger as soon as it shows up!

Now I'm debating between going APR immediately (which apparently can cause warranty claim issues, as they can see it's been flashed on the flash counter) or going with a piggyback Burger Motorsports JB4. The JB4 doesn't do all the cool stuff APR does, like motorsport rev limiter, launch control, speed limiter, and such, and doesn't produce quite as much power, but it's easy to take off with no traces, and is like $300 cheaper.

Considering this engine has had quite a few years to shake out any issues, I'm tempted to just go APR immediately, but I'm not 100% yet.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
I guess if you don’t care about powertrain warranty....

It's not that I don't care, it's more of a calculated risk, considering my good relationship with my dealer I guess. Had my MKV tuned for many many years, and they didn't bat an eye at any warranty claims. I never had anything blatantly possibly-tune related fail though. Intake replaced, water pump replaced, ABS unit replaced, PCV replaced, throttle body replaced, and maybe some more, all on warranty, while I had a intake, dp, and tune. If I threw a rod or blew my clutch, obv they would have complained, but that's reasonable I guess.

I'm definitely still debating...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I wouldn't go gun ho on the new car just yet, IMO. Get used to it stock, then when boredom sets in, go for a JB4. Then when boredom sets in again, sell the JB4 and move on to a full tune. (buy a used JB4 and you won't lose much when you sell it off again)
A JB4 can get you pretty close to Stage 1 tune power levels anyways, which is almost equivalent to MK5/6 Stage 2 TSI levels.

If you don't care about the warranty though (which is 6years/72k miles)....then by all means, go for the tune right away

Just a heads up that any scan of your car WILL detect the tune and that's out of the dealer's hands once VW (automatically) knows. The dealer might say they'll fix something, but VW might not pay out on it creating a problem.
The dealer's tone saying they're mod friendly can definitely change once a problem arises....especially since nothing is in writing & they have no obligation whatsoever.

On a side note....if you want the VW Friends & Family discount ($500 under invoice) on the new car, I can get that for you.
Even if you negotiated a price already, it'll take another $500 off usually (since VW reimburses the dealer thru the program).
Just send me a PM with your email, if interested

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
I wouldn't go gun ho on the new car just yet, IMO. Get used to it stock, then when boredom sets in, go for a JB4. Then when boredom sets in again, sell the JB4 and move on to a full tune. (buy a used JB4 and you won't lose much when you sell it off again)
A JB4 can get you pretty close to Stage 1 tune power levels anyways, which is almost equivalent to MK5/6 Stage 2 TSI levels.

If you don't care about the warranty though (which is 6years/72k miles)....then by all means, go for the tune right away

Just a heads up that any scan of your car WILL detect the tune and that's out of the dealer's hands once VW (automatically) knows. The dealer might say they'll fix something, but VW might not pay out on it creating a problem.
The dealer's tone saying they're mod friendly can definitely change once a problem arises....especially since nothing is in writing & they have no obligation whatsoever.

On a side note....if you want the VW Friends & Family discount ($500 under invoice) on the new car, I can get that for you.
Even if you negotiated a price already, it'll take another $500 off usually (since VW reimburses the dealer thru the program).

Your plan is definitely a smart one. My main concern was coming from a Stage 2+ MKV, the vanilla MK7.5 GTI might not do it for me, so to speak. Especially when you say the JB4 will bring me "close" to Stage 2 TSI levels. I'd hate downgrading my power/fun factor.

As far as warranty work, like you said, in theory they can claim whatever they want, so definitely have to factor that risk in. With my MKV, I had numerous things replaced under warranty while tuned. None of which were turbo or bottom end related though. They never made a fuss about it at my dealer (who I've given LOTS of business over the last 10 years, not that I expect them to return that favor if it came to it). I can definitely understand not honoring turbo or bottom end work with a tune, but at the same time, the likelyhood of either of those going with an APR tune doesn't seem that high. I'm not autox'ing, racing, or anything like that. Spiritedly getting up to the speed limit, with occasional WOT pulls and corner carving for fun. It's a risk, but possibly one I'm willing to take. Definitely will take your advice to heart though! I appreciate it!

Will PM you in regards to F&F discount! Thank You!!!

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI

PM'd you! Not showing in my sent private messages though, so lmk if it doesn't come through. Many thanks!