GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

bmeskin

Not sure what you mean. I think they did the software and then the codes were "different", and not included in recall. They still say I need a new ABS module, and ask $1700 now.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
elevate the concern. if it's a part number discrepancy you may be out of luck but as far as i can tell it was limited to a model year only so part number of the module should be irrelevant.

kid8

Took my '09 in for the recall of ABS, and they say they will not cover this (something about the codes not being inclusive) and now asking $1700 for the job. Interested if this happens to anyone else and where do we go from here?

Hi all, I joined just so I could share with you about my experience. I had the same issue as you with my dealer and they said they had 2 more that had bad units but didn't meet the recall requirements. They're looking for one of 2 specific codes in the software update. It's a 124 or 125 code as I'm told.

I called VW care for a week to try and get it resolved and talked to multiple people who all said the same thing, there's nothing they can do for me because my car didn't display the codes they were looking for. I eventually found out that my unit wouldn't even communicate to take the software update. I was told I'd have to fix the communication issue first so they could then do the software update. The fix is to replace the control module which is extremely frustrating since that's what the recall is for essentially.

I gave up after a week of trying and not having my car and just sent the module out to be rebuilt. I couldn't swallow the ~$2k repair they quoted.

Hopefully the rest of you have better luck, it seems as most have!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Took mine to the dealership today and everything checked out okay. Service manager 'bribed' me with car wash vouchers so I'd give him a good rating (and say that they did the maintenance check they were unable to do since my car is lowered and the lift supports wouldn't fit under my side skirts....LOL....low life problems). Next step is APR stage 2!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm at the dealer now with mom's 09 EOS. They explained the software update and said if it fails they have to order the parts and I can drive the car minus ABS feature. Seems like they expect the worst, so I'm hoping everything is covered. You guys getting the runaround need to try another dealer and push the issue with corporate VW and NHTSA.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
So I haven't been around for a bit but let me tell you about my ongoing experience with this:

So I of course had the same issues as everyone else. Got my recall. Took it in. They said "well, the pump is bad too now, so we'll see if VW will replace it"

Of course, they won't. The garage also tells me when VWoA denied the request to do the work, that I don't have the correct codes to justify a replacement (even though that contradicts what they told me when I picked up the car, but that's about to be par for the course)

So I call VWoA customer care myself and got "escalated" to a regional case manager. He's worse than useless because I don't think he's ever bothered to read the recall at all. He swears up and down that this is a software update ONLY. No modules or pumps will be replaced.

I, of course, read him the recall letter verbatim but he's dead set that even though it says "certain specific codes" will cause the replacement to be done, it means that no replacements will be done. My brain explodes & I just gave up with him & hung up because apparently you can't go higher than a regional case manager on THIS issue (though my case number for when I called back to customer care & started another case about my complaint ABOUT the regional case manager is being elevated to a supervisor. How that one can go to a supervisor but I can't appeal the regional case manager's decision is beyond me. But anyway...)

So VW basically said "screw you, we aren't fixing anything".

I started doing research & found the NHTSA recall information on this. Specifically this document below at the link that's the TSB on handling the recall (which the NHTSA is claiming is an "owner-level" service bulletin and doesn't actually apply to the recall that's listed at the top of the document) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V913-6017.pdf

Now, on page 13 is where it gets interesting. That's where they explain the 2 "certain specific codes" that require a module replacement (that the regional case manager claims doesn't exist). It reads:

"If faults 01130: ABS Operation – Implausible Signal with 125 shown in the 4th line of the Expanded ambient conditions and/or 16352: Control Module Faulty with 96 shown in the 4th line of the Expanded ambient conditions are stored in the ABS Control Module (address word 0003), the ABS module will require replacement. Continue to Section D"

Now here is my VagCom log that they're claiming doesn't meet the requirements that they also claim don't exist in a document for a recall that apparently doesn't apply to that recall:

Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AD HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0104
Revision: 00H35001
Coding: 113B400D492A00FB880C02E6922200413000
Shop #: WSC 01316 785 00200
VCID: 74E7DC1DD7A7F39E49-8020

2 Faults Found:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error
014 - Defective - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 43
Reset counter: 82
Mileage: 196085 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Count: 16391
Count: 2
Count: 12288
Count: 96
Count: 38656
Count: 256
Count: 0
Count: 4864

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
014 - Defective - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 37
Reset counter: 82
Mileage: 196085 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Count: 7
Count: 4608
Count: 104
Count: 50729
Count: 776

Now, I don't know about you, but it looks to ME like I have code 16352: Control Module Faulty with 96 listed on line 4.

So now I've gone thru the regional case manager who didn't read the recall (and any attempts to start a NEW case result in the existing case decision being "upheld" by VWoA customer care) and the NHTSA which won't enforce the recall. NHTSA told me to try the Federal Trade Commission.

And I still can't get an answer out of VWoA or NHTSA on what exactly the "certain specific codes" are if they're not the ones listed in that TSB. Basically, they're trying to get out of fixing this any way they can. Mine has gone from occasionally being a problem when I hit the brakes hard in the snow or when I hit a bump hard going around a corner to being a crapshoot every time I turn on my car (for most of the past year) of whether I'll get this fault.

So other than going to a dealer over 50 miles from my house to try a different "regional case manager" or calling Federal Trade Commission or calling up & biting the head off of some low level office guy at VW corporate in Virginia or getting a lawyer involved, anyone got any ideas what I can do next short of buy a used part on eBay?

kid8

So other than going to a dealer over 50 miles from my house to try a different "regional case manager" or calling Federal Trade Commission or calling up & biting the head off of some low level office guy at VW corporate in Virginia or getting a lawyer involved, anyone got any ideas what I can do next short of buy a used part on eBay?

I basically went through everything you did and then some. I got fed up with it after a few weeks of the run around that I sent my control module out for a rebuild. Luckily I have another car to drive though as it took about a week give or take a day to get the module back. It cost under $300 all said and done, going through Module Master.

When I got the module back, I had to redo the basic settings. I'm still new to VWs so I struggled a bit. I got most of it on my own pretty easily but didn't get them all setup correctly.

Here's the kicker, I took it back to VW to have the recall performed again now, since I had some lights on still and knew the system was communicating properly. The funny thing is that the system pulled the codes they are looking for so they replaced the module under the recall. However, they called me up after spending what they say were days working with VW to get the ABS and ESP lights to clear, but weren't able to after all the corporate support. They told me I needed a new ABS pump to fix the issue at a cost of $2300. :barf:

I declined the repair, pulled the codes and found it to be for the ESP function test. I drove around in a parking lot following the ross tech guide and cleared out the codes and everything works as it should now.:happyanim:

If I didn't have a second car though this option wouldn't work unless I rented a car for a few weeks or could get by without a car for a few weeks. Hopefully it helps, I felt better going refurbished on the control module over buying used. I tried to keep my remanufactured module since it has a 5 year warranty, but they wouldn't let me. You could gamble buying used though I suppose and try and take it in for the recall again.

Good luck whatever you do, but I wouldn't expect much help from VW as of this point getting as far as you have already!

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Does anyone that has had the module AND pump replaced have the part #s for the revised versions? I know that the module should be 1K0907375AP or 1K0907375AN but I don't know what the pump part # is?

My current revision is 1K0907375AD for the module and 1K0614517BD. I'm wondering if 1K0907375AP and 1K0614517BE will work.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I have a spare control module/pump for sale if anyone is interested. I'll let it go cheap. I bought it because I thought something was wrong with the used one I bought, but ended up being my user error :smile: just send me a pm if anyone wants it.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Apparently I'm supposedly getting a phone call today from the region case manager's "leadership team member" to discuss this. Maybe I'll get clarification because after visiting the dealer to get some answers yesterday, it sounds like VW denied the replacement because even though I had the "the solder is cracked/broken in the module" replacement code, when it went in, I also had the code for the bad pump & that is somehow negating the code that says "the solder is bad in the module & you need to replace it"? Like trying to argue that the pump failure caused the module failure? How any failure in the pump can cause the solder to crack is beyond me & I'd really like to hear their logic on this.

Let's see how this goes, because so far, I'm pretty much done with buying anything VW after this "recall that we're not going to do and you can't make me do it" experience. Especially since they STILL haven't even attempted the module flashing for the software fix (probably cause they know that when they do it, they'll lunch the module & be forced into a replacement)

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Well, this was absolutely a waste of time as well.

Apparently, if I have any codes stored for the ABS module at the time of diagnosis, they are now claiming they can't perform the software update. And because they can't perform the software update because of those module error codes, I need to replace the module so that they'll perform the software update to discover whether or not the module needs replaced. HOLY HELL. And it gets better... the only way that the module gets replaced is if the codes that I currently have only appear AFTER the software is updated. But because I have the code that I need to have after the software update, before the software update, I can't get the software update that might cause those codes to come up.

My freaking head is going to explode. This is absolutely absurd & defying ALL logic.

She essentially argued that the cars that aren't experiencing an ABS problem and therefore have no codes, can get the software update that might uncover the codes that warrant a replacement. But those cars who experience an ABS problem while driving that pop the codes (you know, the complaints that generated the recall in the first place) can't have the software update to discover the codes that might call for a replacement.

It's like looking for buried treasure. The software update needs to dig it up to find it, but if it's already at ground level, I need to bury it so that I can dig it up.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Gave up on VW and bought a previous-revision module & pump assembly off an 08 from a junk yard here for $42. Already have vag-com, so I just need to be sure to copy the coding over from the old one to the new one & then do the set-readiness procedures with the hub sensors. Damn sight better than the $2300 VW wanted for a brand new one.

FiXXXerX

Ready to race!
Just wanted to come into the thread here and see if anyone can follow up with the success/procedures for replacing the module... I just had VW and an escalated VWOA attempt fail at getting them to replace mine under the recall. Every criteria was met except the check digit that's supposed to read '96' mine read '98' :/

I have a module and pump out of a 2010, and I'm prepared to give this a shot with VagCom, but I'm wondering what you all had to do during the install and if there is a way to do it without bleeding and flushing the brakes? Also, what was the success rate like doing this for you guys?

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
I have been having trouble finding a weekend to work on mine. My understanding is that you DO have to bleed/flush the brake lines in order to ensure no air in the lines. So you do need a power bleeder to do it. I hope to get to mine in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk