GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Audi TT-RS/TTS control arm + spindle

supertanch

Ready to race!
Is it just one of the holes that needs to be opened up/slotted to match up with the subframe hole, or something else? Just trying to get a specific answer for future seekers.

Exactly like TXBDan said, I'll take a pic of it later so it's more clear

Supertanch, do you know/remember if the GTI steering rack's threaded holes were threaded all the way out to the mating surface where the inner tie rod interfaces? I'm still trying to figure out Tyrolsport's issue with thread engagement. Since the stock GTI inner tie rod has an unthreaded space near the shoulder, maybe that are isn't threaded in the mating rack. So maybe that would leave the TT inner tie rod short on thread engagement.

I dont recall 034 had seen any issues for TT inner tie rod, it seems threaded in pretty well from my inspection...

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Thx Boston, your H2Sport spindle thread motivated me to finally put in the money for this.

Before the mod, despite my car is not that low I'm still losing a lot of static camber which suffers in mid corner a lot, esp with the torque GTI has. Now it gives me much more confident to gas on upon apex, it did seem to help a lot. Also the weight saving is definitely noticeable when going over curbs.

All that aside.. when are my Ecsta XS going to wear out... had 5 events with them already and still no signs of giving up...

Same deal with my Ecsta's, they seem to last and last, decent tires but I'm not in love with them. Lower limits than Direzza's but more consistent and seem to take many more beatings.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
From Japan:

http://euro.superlap.jp/item_detail/153/

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
You're right, mate. The longer pin will increase forces - on track quite risky.
It's just less than an inch though.

Nevertheless interesting find. This one also increase trackwidth + camber.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
You're right, mate. The longer pin will increase forces - on track quite risky.
It's just less than an inch though.

Nevertheless interesting find. This one also increase trackwidth + camber.

That one isn't much longer than stock so probably works OK, but the spindle corrects bump and roll center.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i understand the tie rod concern but why do you have to swap the ball joints and control arms to fit the spindles? what about the spindle doesn't bolt up the oem mk5 drivetrain?

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for digging out this thread but I'm trying to fit MK3 TT swivels on MK7 (MQB platfoirm) and looking for some reference pieces. This is the only successful case I have found so I hope someone would see this post.

First problem is tie rod. Why need to swap the outer rod? Is that because the TT tie-rod-ball-joint does not fit Golf, or the outer rod has difference shape?

Second is about bearing. The bearing on my car is 80mm and I dont know whaat does this mean. TT bearing is 85mm. So should I swap bearings too?

And the last is LCA ball joint. I dont want to swap my stock LCA or ball joint. Would the stock ball joint match TT swivals?

THANKS A LOT!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for digging out this thread but I'm trying to fit MK3 TT swivels on MK7 (MQB platfoirm) and looking for some reference pieces. This is the only successful case I have found so I hope someone would see this post.

First problem is tie rod. Why need to swap the outer rod? Is that because the TT tie-rod-ball-joint does not fit Golf, or the outer rod has difference shape?

Second is about bearing. The bearing on my car is 80mm and I dont know whaat does this mean. TT bearing is 85mm. So should I swap bearings too?

And the last is LCA ball joint. I dont want to swap my stock LCA or ball joint. Would the stock ball joint match TT swivals?

THANKS A LOT!

The whole suspension setup is completely different on the MK7 platform. What worked and applies on the MKV/6 platform does not apply for you. We would all be guessing at this point, someone has to take the plunge to figure out what works and what doesn't on the MK7.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah that's right and seems that I'm going to be the guinea pig to try this :biggrin:

I know that things are different on MK7, but I just want gain some experience from MK5 pioneers. So I'm grateful for any experience or advice, even for which may be useless on MK7!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
regarding the outer tie rod, yes the ball joint does not fit the bushing in the mk5/mk6/passat knuckle.

the bearing diameter i'd assume is the hole size. it won't fit properly if it's not correct. since the bearings are different, you'll also want to verify that the spline for your axle is the same as well.

i believe the stock ball joints will work in the mk5/mk6 application. i am using superpro ball joints and they fit fine. but like Das Gespenst said, it may not be the same for the mk7 suspension setup.