GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

darkpaniel

Quick question: could a faulty ABS module cause the ABS pump to fail as well?

So my 09 GTI was under the recall as well. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday, and today I get a call from my service advisor saying that they replaced the ABS module, but the problem persisted because my ABS pump was bad. He went on to tell me that the pump itself wasn't covered under the recall and that it would cost $2,500 to replace!

I've contacted VWOA and they're escalating my case and looking into it. I should hear back from them by tomorrow, but in the meantime, what do you guys think?

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Quick question: could a faulty ABS module cause the ABS pump to fail as well?

So my 09 GTI was under the recall as well. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday, and today I get a call from my service advisor saying that they replaced the ABS module, but the problem persisted because my ABS pump was bad. He went on to tell me that the pump itself wasn't covered under the recall and that it would cost $2,500 to replace!

I've contacted VWOA and they're escalating my case and looking into it. I should hear back from them by tomorrow, but in the meantime, what do you guys think?
^^^
Bad news

Sent from my Samsung S7 using Tapatalk

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys know if the fault codes from the brake/ABS/ESC lights are saved in the car's system? I only have issues with BRAKE/ABS/ESC lighting up when on the canyon. I turn of the car and turn it back on and the lights clear. Do I need to bring it when the lights are on? or can they check/test my ABS module without that?

I have also received the recall letter and plan on bringing my car in.
Thanks in advance!

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Do you guys know if the fault codes from the brake/ABS/ESC lights are saved in the car's system? I only have issues with BRAKE/ABS/ESC lighting up when on the canyon. I turn of the car and turn it back on and the lights clear. Do I need to bring it when the lights are on? or can they check/test my ABS module without that?

I have also received the recall letter and plan on bringing my car in.
Thanks in advance!

it should store the codes:

2 Faults Found:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error
014 - Defective - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 249
Mileage: 136323 km
Time Indication: 0

01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 15
Mileage: 136694 km

kern417

Go Kart Champion
it should store the codes:

2 Faults Found:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error
014 - Defective - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101110
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 249
Mileage: 136323 km

01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 15
Mileage: 136694 km

*as long as you don't clear it. you don't have to have the lights on but don't clear the codes with vagcom or an obd scanner so they can still see them when they hook your car up.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Got my notice yesterday. Can I include the cost of VCDS and a motive bleeder on the compensation form lol? I paid like $100 for my mk6 module

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Dropped mine off last night... Tripped the faulty ABS as I pulled into the dealer just to be sure the code was stored. I hope to hear an update by noon.
Hopefully the software will flag mine appropriately and they have the module in stock. Keeping my fingers crossed that my pump is not bad cause I don't wanna deal with that argument. I'm halfway thinking about paying for the pump upfront before they install the module just to be on the safe side... Thoughts?

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Can the ABS pump be bench tested? Or maybe thru Vagcom? I guess I can ask them to do that first.

jemartti

I brought mine in today. Turns out they don't keep any of the ABS Control Modules in stock? From what I understand, this is the process:

• They flash the recall update to the existing ABS Control Module.
  • If it succeeds, they say "good enough" and you're good to go.
  • If it fails, the control module is totally toast.
  • They order in a new control module. They don't keep these in stock because apparently the programming is custom to your car. This can take 1–3 days.
  • Because a toasted ABS system is considered a safety issue (even though the car hasn't had functional ABS for a few years now :iono:), they're required to give you a loaner car until they get the new module in and installed.

To be honest, I'm glad my module failed the update; getting a new one installed feels good for peace of mind. It's a bit of a hassle, but this loaner 2017 Jetta ain't too bad (although it feels pretty chintz compared to my eight-year-old GTI :smile:).

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
My dealer did the flash this morning but saw that I already had ABS fault codes so they prolly just went ahead and replaced the module (I got lucky cause they did have it in stock). I will be picking it up soon. They were bleeding the brakes around 2pm after the module replacement.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
ABS Module replaced... Tested and it works... :)

Jyuen

Snow Mexican
[*]Because a toasted ABS system is considered a safety issue (even though the car hasn't had functional ABS for a few years now :iono:), they're required to give you a loaner car until they get the new module in and installed.

To be honest, I'm glad my module failed the update; getting a new one installed feels good for peace of mind. It's a bit of a hassle, but this loaner 2017 Jetta ain't too bad (although it feels pretty chintz compared to my eight-year-old GTI :smile:).

Is this true?

My dealership sent me home with my dash lit up like a god dammed Christmas tree and told me I'll get a call when the module arrives. 10/10 gonna go crash this thing and blame the abs.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
I have a 2008. So am I just screwed and gonna be forced to pay for all of this myself?