GOLFMKV

Light Painting Thread

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Deets on lighting setup?

Deets?

Just 3 LED flashlights lol. I was shooting my buddies Evo X as well so him, my buddy with the Mk3, and myself were all lighting the car up. You can't really see it in these two pictures, but this one, you can tell there is a little bit of difference in the flashlights.

IMG_5961-edited by g60_corrado_91, on Flickr

I was using the kit lens 18-55 at f/3.5, 100 ISO, and 25 to 30 second exposure time.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
So it was done with just one exposure?

(Deets = details, with yoloswag)

Ah, yes. Just one exposure. Post processing done with Lightroom. I really only exposed them a little more; the white balance remains true to how it was shot from the camera.

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
Yup, all light painted except for the shadow casting light. Those are strobe'd as you can see in some of the photos.

I can post up some before pics of any that you want.

2006UG

<ding dong>
Sweet! Any tips on photoshop and how to get the light smoothed out? You made the paint look almost flat!
All I used in photoshop was make each layer lighten and dial in the opacity.
Did you screen out the areas you wanted for each layer and take the contrast way down?

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
That's all I pretty much do as well, layer each photo set to lighten and change the opacity to certain ones until it's what I like. Then certain parts of the photo are put into groups and adjusted separately but in a way they can blend together...if that makes any sense. I use a lot of curves and color layers heavily. You also never want the car to have too much contrast compared to the background or vice versa.

2006UG

<ding dong>
I know what you mean. I'd consider myself moderately experienced with lightroom, I think I've put around 2-3000 photos through there.
Photoshop is a decent beast. I'm watching tutorials and reading tips as I've got time, and adjustment layers are scary right now. I appreciate the tips though, I love the shots you post!

SlowNLow

MOAR LOW
That's great dude, the fact that youre teaching yourself and learning. That's how I learned just experimenting and trying different things.

It's the best way. Same thing i did. And some help thanks to you buddy :wub: