GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How-to Porsche Cayenne / VW Toureg / Audi Q7 Brembo brakes.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Just got a package from rotorlab.

Excellent! What pads are you going to run.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
HPS 5.0, didn't pick a track pad yet.

Discovered OEM Denver wheels fit with a 10mm spacer. These are massive.

Edit, also discovered that Neuspeed RSe12's clear by like 2-3mm

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
HPS 5.0, didn't pick a track pad yet.

Discovered OEM Denver wheels fit with a 10mm spacer. These are massive.

Edit, also discovered that Neuspeed RSe12's clear by like 2-3mm

Looks like enough clearance on your Neuspeeds. I used to run HPS 5.0 on the street. They are a very nice choice. I have been running HP+ all around with my R calipers front and rear. So far I have not been able to melt them at the track.

My favorite pad for the street and current pad setup is HPS 5.0 rear and Endless MXRS for the front. I think when the new calipers come in I will go with Hawk DTC-60 pads all around for track and Endless MXRS all around for street.

Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
The bearing in my mock up hub was trashed so those were the "worst case scenario" clearances. Installed them and have a bit more than shown in the photos, just comfortable enough clearance on the RSe12's that I don't have to worry about bearing deflection introducing my wheel spokes to my calipers. Rob@RotorLab machined the mounting tabs on these to accommodate his rotors, had to run a washer to shim these out. Ended up with a ~0.20mm difference from side to side. Was aiming for 0.50mm or less as the instructions for StopTech, AP, and Brembo call to shim to within that for their BBK's.

I am pretty happy with the feel of the brakes, I am not convinced about the need for a RS3 master cylinder for fronts only. These are progressive rather than the "loading up" of the single piston stock solutions, dunno if that's the right term but the single piston pinching plus the slop in the caliper make them not super responsive where the 17z's are instantly responsive even on a not so amazing pad. Driving the same car back to back really makes this change obvious. You do have a deeper pedal but regular day to day stopping is close to stock feel while smashing the pedal to 70% of travel will launch the driver through the windshield if not strapped down. I think people with bad feel must have air trapped. I used a motive power bleeder, if you don't have one get one when you do yours. $50 to make bleeding and flushing simple and quick.

I am going to install my .:R rear calipers, they nearly have the same volume requirements as the 4 piston 17z/18z rear brakes. I'll reevaluate the need for a bigger master cylinder then. I have a .:R32 master cylinder as well as a RS3, I think the .:R one will be the one to run.

Last edited:

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
Can anyone comment on how much material needs to be removed from the LCA? I'll be off work for the year starting next week and plan on installing my 17z kit..

Also hoping my mk7 Austins clear with the 5mm spacers I have on hand..

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Nothing needs removed from the cast steel or aluminum (Passat) lower control arms. The stamped ones will gouge the surface at full lock.

You need 12.5mm spacers with denver/huffs/detroit wheels for the 17z calipers. I doubt the mk7 austins will clear with only 5mm.

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
Nothing needs removed from the cast steel or aluminum (Passat) lower control arms. The stamped ones will gouge the surface at full lock.

You need 12.5mm spacers with denver/huffs/detroit wheels for the 17z calipers. I doubt the mk7 austins will clear with only 5mm.

Cool. I'll plan on swapping over to the Passat LCAs at the same time then.

Guess I'll have to look at sourcing some spacers and longer wheel bolts also... that sucks.

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
Finally got mine installed today. Clearance is tighter than a mug.. but I'm happy with them so far

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
12.5 or 10mm spacer on those austins?

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
12s.. didn't think that .5mm would matter much but [emoji50].. it's close.

Thinking about it, I was initially looking for 15s. Still may swap to 15s at some point and that would give at the very least 2mm of clearance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
The wheel bearing will have some play and your wheel may flex, when I was looking at BBK's the manuals for a few said that 3mm clearance was the absolute minimum clearance.

You are still a bit tucked with them so 15mm spacers may get you moar flush. I've been able to push Denver's out pretty far and not eat my fenders, but I am not low enough for stance nation.

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
The wheel bearing will have some play and your wheel may flex, when I was looking at BBK's the manuals for a few said that 3mm clearance was the absolute minimum clearance.

You are still a bit tucked with them so 15mm spacers may get you moar flush. I've been able to push Denver's out pretty far and not eat my fenders, but I am not low enough for stance nation.

Ive been running the 12mm spacers for over a month with no issues but I was just waiting for a pair of 15mm spacers to come up for sale. Got a pair installed and I don't feel as though I'm a nasty bump away from catastrophe lol.

escottc

Car(s)
VW GTI MK6 DSG K04
Hub Centric Ring

Thank you for the information. I've found another post that mentioned that Hub Centric Rings need to be "shaved" a bit to fit. Is that needed for the 17z? Thank you. - Scott

Alexis Audi a3 8p

Car(s)
Audi a3 8p jetta vr6
So for anybody looking to setup Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 6 piston Brembo caliper on the front of your MKV using 1 piece rotors:

1: 6 Piston Brembo calipers off of a Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, or Audi Q7.

-There are two types of calipers 17z for 330mm rotors and 17" wheels, and 18z for 350mm rotors and 18" wheels.

-You also have to consider spoke clearance as the large calipers stick outward much farther and can contact your spokes.

2: Rotors off of a 2008 Mercedes-Benz ML350 or 2008 Mercedes Benz GL450

-2008 ML350 rotor specs, these are the rotors to use with 17z calipers

-2008 GL 450 rotor specs, these are the rotors to use with 18z calipers.

3: Caliper mounting hardware from JHM Motorsports, or 5/8" x .035" Stainless tubing as a reducer and 14mm Shouldered Bolts and nuts.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal....html?osCsid=1ede1644950e51d3963aa8ba08956a91

4: 67mm - 65mm metal hub centric rings.

-These will need to be shortened as not to stick out past the face of the rotor and interfere with mounting the wheels.

5: 2004 VW MkIV .:R32 brake lines.

-Direct fit to MkV brake line and 17z-18z Calipers

The Calipers bolt directly to the stock spindle with the hardware kit from JHM. I made my own hardware using 5/8" .035 stainless tubing as a sleeve and hardened shouldered 14mm bolts and locking nuts You will need to grind some material off the very bottom of the caliper and a small spot on the control arm where the bottom of the caliper comes in contact with the control arm at full lock, it is a very minor snag that is a non issue.

Rotors are a perfect fit aside from the slightly too large center bore and the rotor hold down doesn't fit.

You use pads for the calipers you have make sure they specify 330mm for the 17z and 350mm for the 18z as they are different.

I also chose not to use the brake pad warning light and did not buy pads equipped with the wiring for them, you can turn the light off with Vag-Com or do what I did and pack aluminum foil into the connector on your can and tape it up with electrical tape.
It is posible to use a 355mm rotor in a 17z caliper?

Attachments

• 20210129_175936.jpg
    20210129_175936.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 158