GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traction Control- How intrusive in snow?

cygnusx1

NewDubber
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Currently entering my first winter with an 08 GTI, using blizzaks from my old Matrix with one season on them. I'm stage 1, trying to figure out how these cars handle in snow. I've been spinning my right wheel a bit in slush/ice whenever the turbo spools (not WOT, barely half). Traction control seems to flash anytime the turbo spools. Always been at low speed and I've never been close to losing control, just a bit more noticeable than the slow matrix.

Might try rotating the right side tires (they're directional). Wondering if my tires are already getting worn after just one season... I understand high torque + ice = spin, obviously, but I just want to gauge how "normal" this is for the MkV GTI, especially tuned. How intrusive is traction control in snow and ice on these cars for other people?

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Losing traction with open diff front wheel drive is common even on tarmac. Snow or gravel increased likelihood. Proper tires can help, but the drive train doesn’t. To disable the esp & take it easy in the snow prob best you can do.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I leave it on unless I'm honing in a parking lot or whatever. I only had to turn it off once when I needed traction getting up a hill.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Yup, here in Chicago we get decent snow. I leave it on at all times unless I'm out playing. It actually does a good job of keeping you in traction and keeps the car in control. Only time I turn it off is really deep snow when it actually slows the car down so much theres worry of getting stucm.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
You are going to lose traction anyway with too heavy of a foot, you need to get off the throttle anyway. Its a great "idiot light" for folks who either haven't driven in the sh*t as much or forgot how to over a nice summer.

You do need to just power through with limited traction and its the right call to deactivate TC in that situation, but those are super infrequent IMHO.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
You are going to lose traction anyway with too heavy of a foot, you need to get off the throttle anyway. Its a great "idiot light" for folks who either haven't driven in the sh*t as much or forgot how to over a nice summer.

You do need to just power through with limited traction and its the right call to deactivate TC in that situation, but those are super infrequent IMHO.

I noticed with 2.0t while tuned up 20psi I lost traction on dry pavement in 1-2 gears easily, just like an srt4 at 300hp losing grip in 3 gears. With this R32 with UM haldex software, I get off the line great in wet or dry as long as good tires are involved