GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurocars build thread

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Bought an 08 Passat wagon for $400 off craigslist. Pretty clean overall, needs front fenders (rust), valves/belt, cam, HPFP and valve body. Kbb is just under 5k running

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Got the head pulled off the Passat in about 4 hours this afternoon. Looks like one of the roller bearings for the timing belt failed and trashed it. The front crank seal cover is damaged and needs replaced, only 6 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves were bent in the process. Valves barely touched the pistons so they’re still in good shape. Hope to start reassembling by next weekend

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Got the head pulled off the Passat in about 4 hours this afternoon. Looks like one of the roller bearings for the timing belt failed and trashed it. The front crank seal cover is damaged and needs replaced, only 6 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves were bent in the process. Valves barely touched the pistons so they’re still in good shape. Hope to start reassembling by next weekend

Did you pull the turbo off with the head? I'm slowly preparing to do drop in rods and it seems like the easiest way to get the head off is disconnecting the turbo/manifold and leaving it chilling behind the motor. Any downside to doing it this way?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I left the turbo on the head and used an engine hoist to yank it all out as one. Benefit is that you dont have to undo the lower engine mount to pull the engine forward to clear the firewall and nuts on the manifold are much easier to reach once out of the bay. In your case, you wouldnt even have to remove the turbo once the head is off. Saved you some gaskets and frustration

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Continuing the bulletproofing of the Passat. Replacing the thermostat and oil filter housing gaskets and also did the poor mans balance shaft delete since i already had to pull the pan and front oil seal cover. Engine is basically a bare block in frame now waiting for a full refresh. If anyone wants to donate some drop-in rods i’ll put them to good use

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Continuing the bulletproofing of the Passat. Replacing the thermostat and oil filter housing gaskets and also did the poor mans balance shaft delete since i already had to pull the pan and front oil seal cover. Engine is basically a bare block in frame now waiting for a full refresh. If anyone wants to donate some drop-in rods i’ll put them to good use

I'm kicking around the idea of cutting the balance shaft gear while I'm doing drop in rods, as I plan on tracking this car eventually when my sons are old enough to ride along. Is the increase vibration really that bad? I have a civic beater with a 1.7 4cyl and no balance shafts and there really isn't that much buzzing.

What really got me thinking about it is the new Honda 2.0T. For the Accord, Honda has balance shafts integrated into the oil pump very similar to the FSI design, but they are deleted in the Civic Type R for better track reliability.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Didn't feel like switching to a press fit pulley?

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Lol, that's perhaps a little overboard. But better safe than sorry! I have the older one (before it was the press fit, billet steel version) and only did the one dowel.