GOLFMKV

2014 BRZ Build Thread (Boosted!!!)

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
It's sad you didn't get a MK7 but I understand your decision.

I actually chose my GTI over a used BRZ. It was quite a bit cheaper and I figured I wouldn't have to fumble around with an aftermarket turbo assembly because it's turbo from the factory.

I also knew that heavy modifications would bite me later if I went SCCA.

As for the BRZ, a few of my friends have one so I'll make some reco's for you:
Don't go with a blower or a "from this other stock car" turbo. Go with a full on aftermarket kit. Every single "DIY Turbo" I've seen, turns into a one year project just to get it running. This is your DD I'm assuming, so don't do a "turbo yourself" project unless you can stand going 7-8 months without being able to drive your car the way you want. Anything can go wrong from fuel issues to air issues, to boost leaks, to shit just not running the way it's supposed to. And you won't have ANYONE to turn to except SUPER EXPENSIVE shops because they're going to have to go through your whole build to figure out what went wrong. The reason aftermarket kits cost so much is because a lot of time goes into making sure they work for practically ever sample of your car.

This guy worked at it for a year and ended up selling the car after only putting 2000 miles on it when the kit was finished:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16487

Versus the Greddy Tuner Turbo kit, which costs $5200 and comes with everything you need and puts down 93 whp and 68 ft-lb out the door. Save yourself money and time and go with a pre-made kit.

Whatever you plan on doing with FI, plan on compensating at the drive train. The transmission on the BRZ isn't meant to handle much more than the stock horsepower, especially not the differential and clutch disc. I would also look into an LSD while you will have it taken apart.

If you want a "cheaper" wheel upgrade, I would try to grab WRX or STi wheels for the wider grip and better tire dimensions. BRZ stock wheel size is like baby tires. I wouldn't trust them with 250+ horsepower to the rear wheels.

I also think you should skip the intake/exhaust entirely because a turbo is going to change everything about that set up (down-pipe and turbo-back versus header-back exhaust, FMIC or top mounted intercooler versus radiator and CAI only, different exhaust pressure requiring different diameter).

Look into a backseat delete because those backseats are worthless.

Otherwise, focus on suspension and take her out to a track so you can be amazed by the lateral grip and turn in capabilities of that car! It's a blast to drive, probably the only car I've had more fun in than a Miata, (but not as fun as an S2K, turbo will change that).

Last edited:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
It's sad you didn't get a MK7 but I understand your decision.

I actually chose my GTI over a used BRZ. It was quite a bit cheaper and I figured I wouldn't have to fumble around with an aftermarket turbo assembly because it's turbo from the factory.

I also knew that heavy modifications would bite me later if I went SCCA.

As for the BRZ, a few of my friends have one so I'll make some reco's for you:
Don't go with a blower or a "from this other stock car" turbo. Go with a full on aftermarket kit. Every single "DIY Turbo" I've seen, turns into a one year project just to get it running. This is your DD I'm assuming, so don't do a "turbo yourself" project unless you can stand going 7-8 months without being able to drive your car the way you want. Anything can go wrong from fuel issues to air issues, to boost leaks, to shit just not running the way it's supposed to. And you won't have ANYONE to turn to except SUPER EXPENSIVE shops because they're going to have to go through your whole build to figure out what went wrong. The reason aftermarket kits cost so much is because a lot of time goes into making sure they work for practically ever sample of your car.

It is my DD, but it doesn't have to be...I also have a 2006 GLI, so I could DD that...

This guy worked at it for a year and ended up selling the car after only putting 2000 miles on it when the kit was finished:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16487

Versus the Greddy Tuner Turbo kit, which costs $5200 and comes with everything you need and puts down 93 whp and 68 ft-lb out the door. Save yourself money and time and go with a pre-made kit.

I think in the end, I probably will just do a kit. But I think I'd rather go with a supercharger....no oil lines, and in general, much easier to install/doesn't tamper with the original engine as much

Whatever you plan on doing with FI, plan on compensating at the drive train. The transmission on the BRZ isn't meant to handle much more than the stock horsepower, especially not the differential and clutch disc. I would also look into an LSD while you will have it taken apart.

That's for damn sure. I already break the wheels free just making turns...and not even at speed....clutch and LSD are at the top of my list..

If you want a "cheaper" wheel upgrade, I would try to grab WRX or STi wheels for the wider grip and better tire dimensions. BRZ stock wheel size is like baby tires. I wouldn't trust them with 250+ horsepower to the rear wheels.

Haha, a lot of people do that..I actually hate STi wheels...(I know, I know...) I'm probably going to grab some RPF1s, or some Grids...eventually, I'll get a 3-piece, but my dream wheel for this car is some LE37s!

I also think you should skip the intake/exhaust entirely because a turbo is going to change everything about that set up (down-pipe and turbo-back versus header-back exhaust, FMIC or top mounted intercooler versus radiator and CAI only, different exhaust pressure requiring different diameter).

Intake is already done, just a "filter-on-a-stick" setup; and I've already installed a Perrin HBE exhaust...that went on two days after I bought it haha

Look into a backseat delete because those backseats are worthless.

:word:

Otherwise, focus on suspension and take her out to a track so you can be amazed by the lateral grip and turn in capabilities of that car! It's a blast to drive, probably the only car I've had more fun in than a Miata, (but not as fun as an S2K, turbo will change that).

It is an absolute blast to drive, you said it! Just needs a little more torque, in my opinion...

:iono:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
**UPDATE**

Yes, I suck at updating this...I actually forgot that I had this....

Day 3 of ownership: Had a Perrin HBE exhaust installed.

Impressions: Very happy with the exhaust note. It's just enough, but not so much that it gets me attention from local law enforcement. Butt dyno told me that there was a slight torque increase, but not much.

Been reading a lot about the Phantom supercharger, and it seems like it might not be a bad option, for as inexpensive as it is. Plan is still to supercharge, but I'm just deciding between the Phantom (maybe temporary?) and a Vortech kit...thoughts?

Also, trying to decide whether I want RPF1s like everyone else in the world, or if I want some Grids....I really need a wider rear tire, kind of want a 17x9, or even an 18x9...just don't know exactly what I can fit, and what will require fender rolling or lowering...

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
The standard set-up for these cars on coils is 18x9.5 et35-40 with 255/35/18 tires and about -2 camber. The finders are LARGE on this car, no rolling needed. I'm on 17x9 et37 on 255/40/17 and I'm super low. I scrape the pinch weld too often.

If you are gonna stay on springs you can't go quite that aggressive.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am old and have modified a bunch of my cars, done superchargers and turbos. Superchargers work but I consistently had pulley belt/drive issues they are simpler but more problematic in my opinion. The super requires a lot of power to drive it and is always under a lot of stress where turbos are not. My turbo installs once dialed in always just worked. My last car was a Vortcech supercharged GTO LS1. I had lots of issues with that one and the blower was replaced once and then failed again after I sold the car. Lots of belt slippage issues it was a real headache. However when it ran properly it really worked. Go turbo!!

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
The standard set-up for these cars on coils is 18x9.5 et35-40 with 255/35/18 tires and about -2 camber. The finders are LARGE on this car, no rolling needed. I'm on 17x9 et37 on 255/40/17 and I'm super low. I scrape the pinch weld too often.

If you are gonna stay on springs you can't go quite that aggressive.
Yea, the fenders are massive....good to know that I have plenty of room to play with....thanks!
I am old and have modified a bunch of my cars, done superchargers and turbos. Superchargers work but I consistently had pulley belt/drive issues they are simpler but more problematic in my opinion. The super requires a lot of power to drive it and is always under a lot of stress where turbos are not. My turbo installs once dialed in always just worked. My last car was a Vortcech supercharged GTO LS1. I had lots of issues with that one and the blower was replaced once and then failed again after I sold the car. Lots of belt slippage issues it was a real headache. However when it ran properly it really worked. Go turbo!!
Alright, Alright, haha everyone seems to favor a turbo....I just like how supercharged have low end power. This car is great after like 3800rpms, but it takes forever to get there...and a turbo will still take a while to spool...to me, it's like adding a turbo charger to an engine with VTEC....it seems redundant

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Supercharger is really the way to go on this platform though... trust me!!! Jeff will tell you this too. It's a general public consensus.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Supercharger is really the way to go on this platform though... trust me!!! Jeff will tell you this too. It's a general public consensus.

:thumbsup:

That's what I originally wanted...but everyone I know seems to be trying to talk me out of it....

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I vote supercharger too, unless you're planning on building the motor to put down a ton of power.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Ive beaten the piss out of mine this year with sc. From snow driving, loads of autox and track days.

Went through a belt, company warrantied it and sent me new cogs.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Guess I should really update this...for the 2 people that visit this forum a week...long story short, the local Scion dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and got me into a 2015 FR-S. I took delivery of it September 27th, with 2 miles on it.

-Ultramarine Blue
-Bespoke audio
-Otherwise a base FRS.

(Obligatory pictures to follow.)

Baby's first bath:

Literally two hours after I bought it, I swapped out the amber DRL/turn signals for yellow bulbs. Loved the look. (I'll have to take pictures of that tomorrow, because I can't find any on my phone now)

Also, because the stock (Prius) wheels suck dick for skittles, I found a desperate local, and upgraded to these Enkei Kojins in 18x8.75. Wasn't really in love with the wheels themselves at first, but the seller wanted to trade the Kojins, (with almost brand new rubber), plus two Enkei Race spares, (50% tire left), and a set of two 10mm and two 25mm spacers, plus $200 for my stocks, so that was too good of a deal to pass up. I figured it was an upgrade from what I had, and would open the door to trading down the road for what I really wanted. Plus, I'm actually growing to like them.

Le shoes:

I've been enjoying the car so far, and today I put on an eBay diffuser, which, for $50, really made the ass end pop. Pictures of that tomorrow too.

This is how she sits now, minus the diffuser, which you wouldn't be able to see anyways:

Upcoming: Genuine Toyota Mudflaps, fog lights, and I purchased a UEL/Frontpipe deal in a group buy, so that should be here next week...still wanting to boost this car, just not sure when or how. A local has a 325whp turbo setup for $4000 that he's selling so I may jump on that.

More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
Needs more low. Otherwise not bad, I'd look into a turbo set up, mainly the Greddy. I love the FR-S and plan on getting one after my GTI but I can't see spending the money on the turbo & SC kits for only +90hp. Thats just too little for the amount of money you're spending.