GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG making weird sounds

twinkers

is cheesing.
Hey,
Did a couple of 1/4 mile runs this weekend, nothing unusal. Then on the way home I noticed a whining sound I assume is the DSG when it shifts from first to second. It also makes the noise when it downshiftsfrom 2 to 1 but not during any other shifts. Any ideas?

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
You can hear it better when you're right up next to a wall. Yeah, thats normal, i love the sound <3 Sounds like a jet turbine spinning up or spinning down.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Sure it wasn't just transmission whine becoming louder? How many miles on your car?

twinkers

is cheesing.
Hey, Thanks for all the replies. It always made that whine in S mode esp. when gearing down. But after doing about 10 LC at the track it now does it in D and only when shifting from 1st into 2nd. I have 29,000 KM and have been changing oil every 8,000 km even when not required.

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
You'll notice it in the higher RPMs in lower gears, where S mode likes to run at. The sound is in the back of your mind, thats probably why you're hearing it more in D as well.

twinkers

is cheesing.
That may be but I am paranoid. it wasn't making the noise before the other day in D mode (it did in S mode).But the wife can actually hear it inside the house when I pull into driveway now when she couldn't for the last six months. I am going to make an appointment at stealership to change the DSG fluid tomorrow and get it looked at just in case. Thanks for all the replies.

cmdrfire

Hey, Thanks for all the replies. It always made that whine in S mode esp. when gearing down. But after doing about 10 LC at the track it now does it in D and only when shifting from 1st into 2nd. I have 29,000 KM and have been changing oil every 8,000 km even when not required.

You did 10 LC in a row or over a long period of time? Too much stress on the tranny (caused by repeated LC starts) can cause some damage, but it does sound just like a transmission whine to me. Get the DSG oil changed just in case, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The car is quite smart, and usually knows when it wants attention.

cmdrfire

BMW's SMG has a launch control function but if you use it more than 6 times it raises a flag and invalidates the warranty on the SMG/tranny (or something along those lines).
DSG is a more durable than that, but exactly how much I don't know.

twinkers

is cheesing.
well back from dealer. They dont know after 2 hours... Yay!!! Gotta go back as I had no time.