GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

low beam headlight bulb

hay_bails19

My right side low beam is out so i am trying to replace it. how am i supposed to know if my 2008 has H7 or D2S bulbs? and what are the differences? I would ideally like to replace both with a bluer bulb but dont have money to blow on $100 D2S bulbs which i am assuming are much better lol

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You have both H7 and D2S bulbs on your gti. H7 are your FTP and the D2S is for you HID.

EBay has OEM VW D2S bulbs for about $50 each.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Last edited:

hay_bails19

So in reviewing i noticed that both my HID and FTP bulbs do not work at all, but the parking and turn signals on that same side do work. as they both stopped working at the exact same time i am beginning to wonder if it could be a wiring problem vs both bulbs burning out?

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Most likely you simply have a burned out D2S HID bulb. Remember - this is a dumb North American VW (unless you have made some lighting changes or selected other country options via VagCom)- so the ONLY way your Flash to Pass (FTP) Halogen inner lights will EVER work (when the car is running) is if the parking brake is engaged and your headlight switch in the OFF position.

In other words - anytime the car is moving, your flash to pass Halogen (inner) lights will never work. When moving (parking brake off), the Flash to Pass simply operates the Hi-Beam HID shutter.

Well, I suppose one way to use your Halogen inner high beam lights when moving would be to shut off the engine, push the car off a cliff, then your FTP Halogens should work fine - at least until you hit the ground. In order to ever use the inner Halogens for their intended purpose, you have to make VagCom changes - and some of those (European) changes cause other inconveniences.

Anyway - with luck, you may only need a new D2S bulb. But there are other parts of the HID system can can fail, too. At the very least - check your fuses.