GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG COVER SOLUTION - MUST READ

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Personally, I'd be bit reluctant paying $50 for a plastic trim piece that's going to end up having the same problem a couple years down the road.

I keep wishing that someone made an aftermarket DSG shifter surround that uses something other than the flakerific soft touch. Brushed aluminum would be really cool. I've never been able to find anything like that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Personally, I'd be bit reluctant paying $50 for a plastic trim piece that's going to end up having the same problem a couple years down the road.

I keep wishing that someone made an aftermarket DSG shifter surround that uses something other than the flakerific soft touch. Brushed aluminum would be really cool. I've never been able to find anything like that.

I agree completely. Perhaps the $300 part is different? No way to tell unless a dealer replaced one under warranty. And I researched too. I emailed 6 companies that sold complete dash kits. They all said their supplier/manufacturer wouldn't sell just the DSG cover "decal". The best I could find is OSIR piece, and I don't like the carbon fiber look. If the dash trim were black or fake carbon fiber then I would have liked it. They do have a matte black carbon fiber but it's even more expensive - I think $110 to the gloss' $100. And it still just a stick-on piece.

At least I have the old one, and I'm going to try to repaint it a similar color, once I find the paint. I thought the piece I ordered WAS just a silver color with normal paint.

If anyone repaints their cover let it sit for at least 10 days to fully cure before assembling - that's what the people at Rustoleum told me.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
How many with peeling surrounds use a protectant (armorall, etc)? Mine started to peel when I applied protectant, and has stopped peeling now that it's dry again. I'm going to avoid cleaners on the new one and see if it makes a difference.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think it's the heat and humidity that kills the paint. I'm still looking for matte or satin charcoal gray paint. Nothing at Lowe's Home Depot, or Advance Auto Supply. I really prefer the stock look.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
How many with peeling surrounds use a protectant (armorall, etc)? Mine started to peel when I applied protectant, and has stopped peeling now that it's dry again. I'm going to avoid cleaners on the new one and see if it makes a difference.

Mine was because I'm a dumb ass and hung a little tree air freshener from my shifter.

Hot day = oil from air freshener seeping = wrinkled soft touch

I could see a stronger cleaner doing the same thing.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I sprayed 3 coats of plastidip on mine and it has yet to have any issues after about a year. It's not perfect but it's a fairly close match and it's super simple to peel off and respray if needed.

chanman13

You're Welcome.
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit GTI
Just plastidip it. That new one is going to start chipping anyway.

Did this to mine the other day. Looks nice besides the fact that my car needs to be detailed. Heres a picture of it. Sorry for the photo being kind of large.

teejtiu

Passed Driver's Ed
I called my local dealer and got quoted $283 for that part number. Ouch!

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
How well does that hold up?

Plastidip???

I can drag my fingernail across mine without any ill-affects. It gets dirty and what not and I haven't had a problem wiping it off with my hand. I also hit it with detail spray quite often and it hasn't started peeling or anything. I would say it's the best option next to vinyl.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Plastidip???

I can drag my fingernail across mine without any ill-affects. It gets dirty and what not and I haven't had a problem wiping it off with my hand. I also hit it with detail spray quite often and it hasn't started peeling or anything. I would say it's the best option next to vinyl.

Agreed. Whenever I did mine, I think it was 2010 sometime, it has been fine ever since. I regularly wipe it down with Armor All cleaning and protecting wipes. I think I did two coats and it feels much more durable than stock.