GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Pressure Myth

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
Some cliffs notes would be nice for us TL;DR people.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
While an underinflated tire may decrease fuel economy, an overinflated tire does not improve fuel economy, according to the article.

I find that interesting, especially knowing that I've driven on overinflated tires at the track and noticed less grip. I would have associated that with the smaller contact patch we presume would be caused by a swelling tire surface, but then... that was a few years back.

Perhaps modern tires maintain their shape better at a variety of tire pressure levels? I could believe that.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Underinflated tires are dangerous.

Vageline

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' GTI
i go by whats in the door... that being said, my front tires are a little low. looking at them, id say they have about 25psi in them, but i get about 25-27mpg average. highway im looking at maybe 30-34mpg... and city about 0mpg

DejaVu

Ready to race!
The President of the United States says that if everyone just kept their tires properly inflated and got tune ups, we could save the same amount of oil that we could get if we drilled all oil available in the entire country. No one seems to have debunked that so ...its true!!

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
The President of the United States says that if everyone just kept their tires properly inflated and got tune ups, we could save the same amount of oil that we could get if we drilled all oil available in the entire country. No one seems to have debunked that so ...its true!!

Sigh...

Vageline

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' GTI

if we really wanted to stop drilling for oil and give jobs to america (or whatever country that consumes it) and be green, then we would use oil from algae. for some reason, this isnt even talked about lol. gotta love politics and big businesses

langer

i fix teefs

Serious or trolling?

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I go 37-38psi up front ad 35 in rear. Anything lower and light on the dash comes on. 35 in front makes them look flat.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm a firm believer that the "recommended" tire pressure is so the automakers can meet their CAFE requirements. I run 29/26 COLD. They heat to 32/29. I'm happy because the ride is sooooo much softer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I see what some other are saying, though. The article doesn't say if the 32 PSI used was the recommended pressure for that particular vehicle.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is not political, because it doesn't matter what either party does. I recently read where the U.S. EXPORTS more oil than they import. And that the U.S. exports gasoline. Mainly to India and Asia. So it stands to reason we have enough oil and refinery capacity to meet our needs. This is due to people driving less and especially since newer cars get much better MPG than 10 years ago. And with the higher CAFE requirements the trend will continue. But the oil companies know they can make more money by exporting oil and gasoline. The pipeline from Canada to Texas that's being disputed is not so the U.S. can use Canadian oil. It's so the oil can be loaded onto ships in the Gulf of Mexico to send to other countries. You may have read that the "import car racing scene" exploded in the Middle East in the UAE. Kids there go out into the desert at night for meets and racing. It's so pervasive that in about 10 years the UAE won't be able to export any more oil because they will need it there. THEN you will see a problem in the U.S. and elsewhere. You hear about gas possibly going to $6 in the U.S. soon? I figure in 10 years it will be over $10 at the least. Unless you're wealthy you'll be driving 500CC shit boxes.