GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to purchase a 08 R32

Roberto.TJ

oh but there are miatas and Z4's and 350z's and mustangs and wrx's and mr2's and now there are gt86's and brz's and all sorts of other stuff that is so much more interesting and fun to drive. I know my MR2 blows my Rabbit, the MKV GTI's I've driven, and my brother's modified MKIV GTI out of the water and that thing has cost me less than 3 grand total. And I redid the interior so it's mint WITH heated seats ;)

I do love Mr2 but i haven't seen one in good conditions in SD. Miatas are ok, but they kind of have a girly look to them. 350Z are slow, I hate mustangs :paddle::paddle: WRX and EVo have very bad MPGs

Roberto.TJ

1. It's a lot of money to spend for a car that's only marginally better than a loaded Mk5 GTI that costs $7-8k less. If I was prepared to drop $25k on a GTI, I'd look into buying a Mk6 with a factory or CPO warranty.

2. Versus a GTI, the fuel economy is abysmal. My buddy leased an '08 R32 when it came out and he averaged about 19 mpg, spirited driving. I consistently get 25-26 mpg driving the same way on my GTI. An R32 is about 500 lbs. heavier than a DSG GTI because of the larger motor and the AWD system. More weight to push + thirstier engine = bad mpg.

3. The benefits of AWD are practically negated living in a low-elevation city like San Diego. You'd truly only see those benefits on a track.

4. I know you said you wanted to hold off on tuning, but if you end up getting the bug later, the 2.0TSI motor is much cheaper and easier to tweak. It has much more power potential for less money.

and if you are dropping 25k get a MK6 model. No reason to buy a generation old (soon to be two).

An R32 is good off the line if use the launch control due to the AWD. Other than that a Stage 1 GTI is faster to 60, the quarter mile, and like he ^^^^ said.

You have to consider gas mileage and transmission. DSG was and still is in the developing stages and they are notorious for recalls. It is also an AWD. More gas, less mpg. But it's a fun car and rides well with a v6 engine. Too out of my price range. I'd settle with a gti with manual transmission.

Coming from a family that owns 2 gtis, a 2012 golf TDI, and an R32, I would have to say the only tangible benefits of the R32 over the GTIs are:
-4 wheel drive, great in the snow
-the stock exhaust note
-and if you're picky, power response is slightly better in the R32.
The GTI is faster, lighter, has better MPG. Spend 600-1000 in mods on the GTI and it will be significantly faster than the R32. After an intake and Rev D. DV, I like the sound of my GTI better anyway.

also you say you would like to stay away from tuning. Why not spend 600$ and get an APR stage 1 flash on a GTI? Super reliable (more conservative than tuners such as unitronic), and a huge leap in performance. No hardware required, you take it in and they hook it up to a computer. Need to take it in for service? The modes are switchable and you can put it back to stock for the dealer. If I were you I would consider the chip in your purchase decision.

Thanks for all you guys time and help:thumbsup:

Like I said before I am not a VW expert, where can I read more info on that stage 1, stage 2 tunning guys are talking about?

So you guys are basically telling me that a Stage 1 GTI will out perform a 08 R32 with just a couple of hundred bucks invested on it ($700):cry:

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Like I said before I am not a VW expert, where can I read more info on that stage 1, stage 2 tunning guys are talking about?

Check out APR's website. They have kits for Stage I/II/II+/III and a pretty good job explaining the differences.

So you guys are basically telling me that a Stage 1 GTI will out perform a 08 R32 with just a couple of hundred bucks invested on it ($700)

In a word, yes. Stage I will give you similar horsepower and significantly more torque.

Last question what year GTI should I look it to?

Generally speaking, anything from 2008.5 onward would be your best bet because of the newer TSI motor. 06-08 GTIs have the FSI motor, which has historically been prone to issues with its fuel pump, cam lobe and PCV. These issues are practically non-existent on the TSI.

I've been pretty lucky with FSI, but I do maintain it very well. With that said, I'd only consider an FSI if the car in question has a good, well-documented service record.

Roberto.TJ

Check out APR's website. They have kits for Stage I/II/II+/III and a pretty good job explaining the differences.

Generally speaking, anything from 2008.5 onward would be your best bet because of the newer TSI motor. 06-08 GTIs have the FSI motor, which has historically been prone to issues with its fuel pump, cam lobe and PCV. These issues are practically non-existent on the TSI.

I've been pretty lucky with FSI, but I do maintain it very well. With that said, I'd only consider an FSI if the car in question has a good, well-documented service record.

Thanks you for your feedback....

have the 2008 and over models had any recalls?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here's what I would look for: A 2010 or 2011 off-lease, CPO car. Depends when it was bought. Look for one about 2-years-old from DATE OF FIRST SERVICE (which is the date it was originally sold), and you should have about another one year of factory warranty and 2 years worth of CPO warranty. An off-lease car is more likely to be UNMODIFIED and undamaged. And it's more likely to have serviced at the dealer because routine maintenance is free for the first 3 years.

Roberto.TJ

Here's what I would look for: A 2010 or 2011 off-lease, CPO car. Depends when it was bought. Look for one about 2-years-old from DATE OF FIRST SERVICE (which is the date it was originally sold), and you should have about another one year of factory warranty and 2 years worth of CPO warranty. An off-lease car is more likely to be UNMODIFIED and undamaged. And it's more likely to have serviced at the dealer because routine maintenance is free for the first 3 years.

What do you mean by CPO?

Thanks again the Fed for this great tips....

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
What do you mean by CPO?

Thanks again the Fed for this great tips....

What's we're referring to is certified pre-owned. That means that the car has been certified by Volkswagen of America as a "like-new" vehicle. It will carry the remainder of its basic warranty, plus a 2-year/24,000 mile extension on that warranty. It's piece of mind when buying a used car.

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Thanks you for your feedback....

have the 2008 and over models had any recalls?

Not really. Besides the dsg recall. But one thing to note about some of the 08 models is that they may come with the old revision diverter valves which tend to flaw out. You can check if you put your car in stands and look underneath the passenger side. If it goes out and your car is under warranty then vw will replace it with the revision D diverter valve. Or you can just buy it. They sell em at ecstuning for around $50.

Roberto.TJ

Thanks UGFast89, chunkisagoonie and The Fed for your great advice, I looks like ill be in the look out for a 2010 or 2011 GTI. Hopefully Ill have some choices to pick from.

It would be nice if one of you guys lived close to SoCal to tag and learn about be best mods for the GTI.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
I am in Irvine/Tustin and have vagcom if you ever need it. I can help with just about anything on your car too but I guess its kinda far.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll need to ask people who live in California about mods since you have such strict emissions standards in your state. I'm partial to APR programming.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
This looks like a good deal?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2902772492.html

What do you guys think?

That price is on the high end of KBB private sale, but it does have extended maintenance and looks well-maintained. Low miles for a 2-year old car, too.

I would ask the seller what "extended maintenance" really means. Is it an actual warranty extension or just a normal maintenance (lube, filters, etc.) extension? Big difference there.

Roberto.TJ

That price is on the high end of KBB private sale, but it does have extended maintenance and looks well-maintained. Low miles for a 2-year old car, too.

I would ask the seller what "extended maintenance" really means. Is it an actual warranty extension or just a normal maintenance (lube, filters, etc.) extension? Big difference there.

I'm going to go see it Friday after work. it does say "Asking $21,950 or Best Offer"

I might be willing to give a offer of 19500 or something along the lines of that