GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to purchase a 08 R32

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
X2

I came close to getting a mk5 R32, glad I didn't. I think the mk4 is more fun with a stick. If you're going to spend that consider a new mk6 GTI, much better car!

Same, I was really going for an mk4 but found a great deal a little north of where I live. I've driven every 2000+ model and I'd still consider buying one.

mkvnamedlucy

Great White Buffalo
Before I pull the trigger and get my self a white 08 R32, what do the VW lovers have to say about purchasing a 4 year old VW certified car with 27,739 miles on it?

http://www.cityvolkswagen.com/Vehic...32-2dr_HB_*Ltd_Avail*-San_Diego-CA/1699927303

I have been reading on different forum and found people saying to skip the extra money to purchase the R32 and get the GTI, better warranty and more tuning capability.
I honestly love the sound of the V6 and trying to stay away from the tuning for a year at least and get a car that it would be good over all performance and looks.

I currently have a RSX base and hate the lack of HP, always owned JDM car but now I think I deserve something more classy and German:biggrin:

any information on bushing the R32 will be greatly appreciated.

A res delete on there makes that car soo sexy:thumbup:

tapatalk-o-bell

[uTQUOTE=bigbadvoodooguru;3286891]MISQUOTE FAIL D: D:
Makes me look like a dick. I did not say that. Antagon misquoted D: D:[/QUOTE]

LOL I saw that too, voodoo is a helpful member here :thumbsup:

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Coming from a family that owns 2 gtis, a 2012 golf TDI, and an R32, I would have to say the only tangible benefits of the R32 over the GTIs are:
-4 wheel drive, great in the snow
-the stock exhaust note
-and if you're picky, power response is slightly better in the R32.
The GTI is faster, lighter, has better MPG. Spend 600-1000 in mods on the GTI and it will be significantly faster than the R32. After an intake and Rev D. DV, I like the sound of my GTI better anyway.

Personally, I really like the R32 but its price tag keeps it from comparing with the GTI. If I were you I would wait for the Golf R to come around. 4 wheel drive, more power than the R, better gas mileage. Also more tuneable because it is turboed.

EDIT: also you say you would like to stay away from tuning. Why not spend 600$ and get an APR stage 1 flash on a GTI? Super reliable (more conservative than tuners such as unitronic), and a huge leap in performance. No hardware required, you take it in and they hook it up to a computer. Need to take it in for service? The modes are switchable and you can put it back to stock for the dealer. If I were you I would consider the chip in your purchase decision.

EDIT #2: I see you live in San Diego, 4 wheel drive would not be a benefit for you unless you plan on spending 4-8 grand to hop the R32 up to 400-600hp.

Last edited:

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Im with quoz there. The r32 only has an advantage on a track. A chipped gti is better everywhere else. In terms of reliability... I have a 2008 gti with 82k miles on it. Its been stage 1 since 15k miles. It still runs like a champ and no dsg issues at all. spend that money on a GTI. get a chip . be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
For what its worth a chipped GTI is 7 seconds faster to 130 than the r32. that's like.. Not even a close race

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
An R32 is good off the line if use the launch control due to the AWD. Other than that a Stage 1 GTI is faster to 60, the quarter mile, and like he ^^^^ said.

While the R32 is a nice car, you should be able to get a fully loaded with Nav. 2010 or 2011 GTI for that kind of money, and a CPO car will have a longer warranty. APR Stage 1 is about $700 including tax and installation. While it will never sound like a 6-cylinder I imagine there are CARB-approved solutions that sound close. They only made 5,000 R32's so I also imagine if you need a part specific to it you would have to wait.

Last edited:

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
and if you are dropping 25k get a MK6 model. No reason to buy a generation old (soon to be two).

But I still think with that amount there are a ton of car options that are way more appealing. Especially in San Diego. RWD 2 door lightweight boxer engine coupes with oem LSD comes to mind.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
^^^ True. When is the MKVII going to be available?

There are plenty of RWD cars out there but I don't think, performance-wise, there are any (for the price) that can keep up with even a Stage 1 GTI.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
oh but there are miatas and Z4's and 350z's and mustangs and wrx's and mr2's and now there are gt86's and brz's and all sorts of other stuff that is so much more interesting and fun to drive. I know my MR2 blows my Rabbit, the MKV GTI's I've driven, and my brother's modified MKIV GTI out of the water and that thing has cost me less than 3 grand total. And I redid the interior so it's mint WITH heated seats ;)

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
There always seems to be an '08 R32 sitting on a dealer lot in just about every major US city imaginable. They simply don't move because they're poor values for most buyers. Here's a few reasons why I wouldn't consider that car:

1. It's a lot of money to spend for a car that's only marginally better than a loaded Mk5 GTI that costs $7-8k less. If I was prepared to drop $25k on a GTI, I'd look into buying a Mk6 with a factory or CPO warranty.

2. Versus a GTI, the fuel economy is abysmal. My buddy leased an '08 R32 when it came out and he averaged about 19 mpg, spirited driving. I consistently get 25-26 mpg driving the same way on my GTI. An R32 is about 500 lbs. heavier than a DSG GTI because of the larger motor and the AWD system. More weight to push + thirstier engine = bad mpg.

3. The benefits of AWD are practically negated living in a low-elevation city like San Diego. You'd truly only see those benefits on a track.

4. I know you said you wanted to hold off on tuning, but if you end up getting the bug later, the 2.0TSI motor is much cheaper and easier to tweak. It has much more power potential for less money.

I know the GTI doesn't sound the same as the R32 with 3.2L V6, but I think it sounds pretty damned good for a 4-cyl.