GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drove over curb, damage to look for?

yg17

Ready to race!
Leaving a parking space today, and the spot in front of me was empty, so I figured I could pull forward and go like I always do in that situation. Unknown to me, there was a diamond curb-like thing (I dunno what you call it) in the middle of 4 spaces, in fact, thanks to Google Street View, I've attached a pic of it. I was parked where the grey minivan is. Anyways, I ended up going over it with my front passenger side wheel and stopped once I realized what happened, and figuring I was fucked no matter what, I continued on and went over it with my back wheel since all of the other spots near me (except for the one directly in front) were occupied and I didn't have any room to maneuver my way out of there. After doing this, I got out and inspected my car for damage and there was none, the tires and wheels look fine and there appears to be no body damage. It also drives normally, I was on the highway driving back home and got it up to around 70 and all seemed fine. But is there any damage I may not notice right away that I should look for and have fixed before it becomes a problem? I have an appointment at the dealer for my 20,000 mile service in a couple weeks and would like to have any possible damage taken care of while I'm there. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'd like to make sure.

If it matters, my car is completely stock, so stock height for a 2009 GTI, stock 18" Hufs wheels, etc. I'd also like to meet the moron who decided to stick an island in the middle of a parking lot without putting a tree or lamp post in it to let you know it's there :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-28 at 10.36.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-28 at 10.36.41 PM.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,730

absence

___liminal
i'd check your front intercooler. if your bone stock, you won't have a boost gauge -- and it may not even tell you if there is an issue -- but there are two mount points at the bottom of the intercooler that are prone to shearing off -- and in turn causing boost leaks.

the ny brethren know all about this :frown:

hobbes

Ready to race!
That curb seems pretty low, and since you were going over at low speeds, I wouldn't think anything was damaged. I think the worse thing that could have happened is some curb rash on your rims.

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
Damn dude, I was really high and had a similar problem in my old bmw. and I wacked the SHIT out of that curb, No probs though . I drive my stock GTI w/ 18"s off concrete(my driveway) that tall pretty frequently, though. I would think as long as you didn't hear anything scrape and you didn't knock the hell out of your rims on the curb, your good. Tell em to pull the wheels off and check that shit out if you want. Your car man! Good luck w/ it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I doubt you did anything. Doubt you even scuffed a tire. I ran over one of those concrete things that keep your car from going too far into a parking space with my 2002 which had lower front ground clearance than my 2007. Took off pretty fast. Lots of thumps. Figured I scraped everything and knocked out the alignment. Checked the alignmnet, it was fine. Didn't even scuff the lower lip.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
Check underbody plastics, lower control arm ends and bolt heads, oil pan / drain plug, trans case.

Manheim81c

Go Kart Champion
Since it's still stock,it's sitting kinda high so you should be okay.
Did that same thing a few weeks ago,for some reason I thought I was in my Jeep.......:iono:

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
I did the exact same thing...

and drove my car for almost 3 months not knowing what I did.....it was winter and everything seemed to be in order until I took my car into the shop and they got under it. They found a messed up radiator mount, radiator, intercooler and the AC condenser all jacked up. Not to mention some minor cosmetic damage to the bottom lip, it threw an Airbag light and pinched a tire...end of the day, about $2500 in damage. And for the douches that think stock is high enough to drive over a curb, I've got the stock 17's so yes, I have the 4x4 look and didn't manage to escape damage.

I hope you faired better than I did. Look for dripping coolant. Mine leaked but it didn't in my garage. It must have beeen a slight enough angle to pool it inside the undercarriage cover??? All is good now, good luck!

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
and drove my car for almost 3 months not knowing what I did.....it was winter and everything seemed to be in order until I took my car into the shop and they got under it. They found a messed up radiator mount, radiator, intercooler and the AC condenser all jacked up. Not to mention some minor cosmetic damage to the bottom lip, it threw an Airbag light and pinched a tire...end of the day, about $2500 in damage. And for the douches that think stock is high enough to drive over a curb, I've got the stock 17's so yes, I have the 4x4 look and didn't manage to escape damage.

I hope you faired better than I did. Look for dripping coolant. Mine leaked but it didn't in my garage. It must have beeen a slight enough angle to pool it inside the undercarriage cover??? All is good now, good luck!

I think its safe to do it in the 18s douche. Apparently its the inch that makes the difference....

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
^ Why are you always starting trouble in every thread?

He's just telling us his experience and helping the OP.

Honestly, check the subframe, wheels, tires, and make sure the car still tracks straight and that the steering wheel is in the same position as before.

Did you hear anything scrapping when you hit it? I jumped a curb one before while taking pictures and not paying attention on a 2" drop from 06 ride height (1.3" drop for an 09). Thank God I hit it at an angle otherwise I would've damaged the bumper, radiator, and intercooler. As it was I managed to scrape the subframe. Just backed it out and all was fine. This curb you hit looks lower though.

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI

^ Why are you always starting trouble in every thread?

He's just telling us his experience and helping the OP.

Honestly, check the subframe, wheels, tires, and make sure the car still tracks straight and that the steering wheel is in the same position as before.
All I did was return the favor man. lol. Trouble? :iono: