GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fighting with P2177 (running lean)

vr6turboguru

I did the valve cover first before the spark plugs. i would to you suggest to check the spark plugs first. Yes i removed the intake manifold and changed the injectors.

davidlau6371

I got the same P2177 and B310B too lean, but after change G410 and G247, still get LTFT in 21.

Finally change MAF sensor and back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more.... finally detect the problem even big, cam follower broke (code P0087) and need to change cam follower, HPFP and intake camshaft now

davidlau6371

One more.... finally detect the problem even big, cam follower broke (code P0087) and need to change cam follower, HPFP and intake camshaft now

Finder

Ready to race!
February update:
Since my discovery back in November that with running a stage 2 file I get perfect fuel trims, I got in touch with Unitronic and provided them with all the details. They made corrections and gave me a file in December that didn't improve anything. Two months later, after doing some logging as per their request they finally gave me a calibrated file. The car drives nice now, pulls hard but the LTFT are still a bit high, currently at 13%. Not sure if this is normal for winter gas and +/-5 C temp for a K04 file. I do hope it will get better when spring comes.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
So after some deeeep research i might bring the bad news (or good?)

I myself as others i seen here have no leaks, fuelling issues, replaced maf, o2's and god knows what..

My discovery on maf readings brought me down this dark path of trials and errors and discoveries.

My maf readings were 120gs and my intake is "ramair".
I knew my readings were low so i got a brand new maf.
I was now up to 150gs but i was still low.

This sort of started to point in a certain direction..

So i took off the filter and ran filterless for the sake of science.
I was now up to 160gs but still to low.

This comes down to a simple solution.

The intake is shit and must go off!

After googling in depth discussions about intakes on these mk5's, finding topics over 10 years
Old, its sure that this lean code isnt alien to mk5 owners with their trims off.

This is because the maf housing on the stock airbox is oval and slightly smaller than any aftermarket intake. It also has a metal screen/filter inside to even out the airflow to help the maf getting proper readings.

Im all fine now with the stock airbox. after spending lots lots on unwanted parts that did nothing, and even the cost of the intake which just threw my trims off so bad that i got a code.

If these aftermarket companies would just take their time designing proper maf housing solutions it would be better.

I found a handful of people that had luck with some of the brands.

If going stock filter is out of the world, there are 3 options i found:

1: Buy a better brand that majority of others have reported good trims on.
2: ghetto mod your engine cover maf housing (cut it off) cut your intake, and couple them (google,youtube it)
3: buy this : http://www.42draftdesigns.com/fsi-oem-style-maf-housing/

What i found is after these mods, people reporting trims back to normal again.

Now try stock filter and report back if your code went away:p

There is passing more air into the engine than your maf reads cause of these poor intake design.
Now, there is the "air leak" you never found.

tedted

hmm.
i want to go with this because i too have read about the design of the intake being too big for the readings AND ive always wondered why most all aftermarket intakes did away with that waffle screen (i always thought that was necessary to 'spread' the air velocity evenly)

what other brands did you find that works? If i remember evoms has one..

QUESTION because I did some random testing awhile back too... How come I can idle the car fine with no maf sensor plugged in, BUT if i take the intake off completely; the car stalls out ?

finder, fungist: what are your idle maf g/s readings?

Finder

Ready to race!
You definitely want a good intake for proper MAF operation.

I see between 2.5 to 2.9 g/s at 720rpm in some older logs I've found on my laptop.