GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI use MK6 R intake camshaft

davidlau6371

Hi guys,

if change MK6 R intake camshaft on my mk5 GTI K04 with DM K04 ECU Map, custom make Cold air intake, turbo pipe and throttle pipe in 80mm, twin-Intercooler,

do I get more power? Anything I need to beware or additional modify or any problem ??

As R version will get more fresh air timing .... but it may suitable with my Map ...

Would you share your comments....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the only difference between the R cam and regular cam is 0.5mm more lift on the HPFP lobe. I don't think there are wild differences in duration and overlap between any of the EA113 cams.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hi guys,

if change MK6 R intake camshaft on my mk5 GTI K04 with DM K04 ECU Map, custom make Cold air intake, turbo pipe and throttle pipe in 80mm, twin-Intercooler,

do I get more power? Anything I need to beware or additional modify or any problem ??

As R version will get more fresh air timing .... but it may suitable with my Map ...

Would you share your comments....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using it in my new motor (assembled but not running yet ). I wanted to go with it because of the higher lift on the fuel lobe. USP is indicating that the lift for intake valves is increased but they don't list any specs and my expectation was that the increase was of course quite mild as this is a factory cam.

The other forum member I know using it is also doing a big turbo build same as mine and the tuner had to make adjustments to get motor to run properly I believe. PM Mostic and ask him for more info.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Forgive me for my mind going off into "weird idea" mode...if wanting a golf R intake cam for more hpfp lobe lift, why not make a 0.5mm shim to go inside the cam follower between it and the hpfp piston? Trim out a circle to fit inside diameter of cam follower, snip the edges inward to a depth surpassing the lube holes of the follower, and twist each tab 45ish° to allow oil in and out? This would give the desired lift, keep the shim from any lateral movement, and still allow lubrication.

I know, I read something like this, a golf R cam for more hpfp lift, and my mind goes into "I could do this!". ←maybe, LOL.
For more laughs...Wanna hear another one? When/If the hpfp lobe wears a bit and the hpfp piston no longer has complete contact to the lobe, add a 0.5mm(gu'esstimated) valve spring shim between the hpfp retainer nut and the hpfp piston spring and increase the stroke. I even went to my local machine shop and found that one actually fits with regards to diameters, but the thickness would yet need be determined. See, my mind is a weird place to be...at times.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Forgive me for my mind going off into "weird idea" mode...if wanting a golf R intake cam for more hpfp lobe lift, why not make a 0.5mm shim to go inside the cam follower between it and the hpfp piston? Trim out a circle to fit inside diameter of cam follower, snip the edges inward to a depth surpassing the lube holes of the follower, and twist each tab 45ish° to allow oil in and out? This would give the desired lift, keep the shim from any lateral movement, and still allow lubrication.

I know, I read something like this, a golf R cam for more hpfp lift, and my mind goes into "I could do this!". ←maybe, LOL.
For more laughs...Wanna hear another one? When/If the hpfp lobe wears a bit and the hpfp piston no longer has complete contact to the lobe, add a 0.5mm(gu'esstimated) valve spring shim between the hpfp retainer nut and the hpfp piston spring and increase the stroke. I even went to my local machine shop and found that one actually fits with regards to diameters, but the thickness would yet need be determined. See, my mind is a weird place to be...at times.

Wow, you thought a lot about it but this is why I think your idea falls a bit short.

Golf R fuel lobe is taller so it provides a longer stroke, which provides for more fuel per stroke. Putting spacer on cam follower will not lengthen the stroke. Stroke length controlled by lobe. So its all about maximizing the length of the stroke. I think the reference to the cam providing more lift is what may be confusing. It provides for a longer stroke by adding lift.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know I know, LOL...stroke would be equal...and why I always find fault in my thinking. Whenever I go off thinking that way...I always see why I wasted my own time. I laughed at myself a bit ago when it, the truth, hit me. Both silly scenario's are absolutely not helped by my thinking...no addition of stroke and less stroke with lobe wear regardless of contact.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I know I know, LOL...stroke would be equal...and why I always find fault in my thinking. Whenever I go off thinking that way...I always see why I wasted my own time. I laughed at myself a bit ago when it, the truth, hit me. Both silly scenario's are absolutely not helped with my thinking...no addition of stroke and less stroke with lobe wear regardless of contact.

Don't know if its a waste of time to think creatively. Sometimes you come up with a solution for a problem you were not trying to solve. A thicker top on cam followers might make them last longer. Who knows.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right...helped quite a bit when engineering, drafting, and manufacturing...and I do not mind publishing my wayward thoughts. I make myself giggle then find myself saying "Idiot" often enough to be entertaining...but sometimes I do land on a good idea.