GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to Exhaust Systems

Delsorbo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 Rabbit MK5
My car has been making gurgling sounds when I let off the gas for the passed week. Over the weekend, somewhere in the exhaust system (near the front) started to leak a lot of noise out. The dealership suspects something has broken in the exhaust but was gonna charge me up the wazoo just to check it out. I was thinking of changing it anyway and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on where to start.

I want something that has a very deep and low sound. Currently in it's broken state, it drones extremely loud at 2000pm. I cruise around the city alot round this range and I definitely don't want any noise here. People have mentioned that the AWE and Borla systems are great, but i still find them kinda farty sounding. Ideally I'd like a deep sound when I am accelerating. Obviously I know I am limited running a 2.0 engine. But I've seen a mazda3 make a really low and deep sound so I am hoping it can be done.

I realize there's many parts to the exhaust that can be changed and have no idea how much each affects the outcome.. resonator, muffler, tips, downpipe. I appreciate any advice anyone has to give.

I kinda like how this sounds here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQN8eW05i5E

tldr - my exhaust is acting up and I'm planning to replace it. Kinda new to understanding exahust systems and I am looking for something with a deep sound don't really like the high pitched farty sounds .

MKVDave

Ready to race!

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
had the eurojet downpipe first, then the other night i got the EJ catback and J pipe installed. nice low tone, when you're taking it easy it's not too loud but when you get on it the sound is definitely noticeable :) vbands are nice too.

you'll hear the gurgles still but in a nice low growly way

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
I have the AWE tbe - amazing sound, really well built (perfect fit) and ZERO drone.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
There was a Neuspeed catback for sale in Toronto a few weeks ago. It's a shame you couldn't hop on that, I have one and it sounds insanely good; gotten many many compliments (even from V6/V8 guys!)

RedRims

Just installed the 42 Draft Designs 3" TBE Race Series Non-Resonator today. The sound is fantastic, nice and deep and aggressive. Not much drone even when cruising at 73mph. They are fabricated to order and fit perfectly for your car.

Shades

Ready to race!

RedRims

Delsorbo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 Rabbit MK5
I am a bit confused as to what a catback is. According to wiki, catback is just the area of the exhaust system after the cat converter. Looking under my car, the res, and 2 mufflers are both after the cat converter, which would make it also a cat back system? Can someone please explain this to me?

Car(s)
Subaru
I am a bit confused as to what a catback is. According to wiki, catback is just the area of the exhaust system after the cat converter. Looking under my car, the res, and 2 mufflers are both after the cat converter, which would make it also a cat back system? Can someone please explain this to me?

you just said it. a cbe is everything after the cat. a dp is turbo and the cat (unless its a catless downpipe). a tbe is the entire exhaust

mandowombat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI STOCK
I never knew dsg was a mod.

on a stick shift car the exhaust is less farty than a DSG. OP states he wants a less flutter and more growl. if the OP car is DSG getting rid of the farty sound is difficult, right?

Redrims has a TBE i currently would like to hear. although i drive DSG this really will help the stick shift driver decide than the DSG drivers

any recommendations to an exhaust for DSG drivers that want a deep loud sound without noticeable DSG farts??