GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW!!! GOLFMK5 MONTHLY PHOTO CONTEST

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
No...it isnt a pro photography website, but pro's do post here so it is relevant to those who are interested in learning real skill as opposed to those who will be misled by reading Rockwells diatribe.

I encourage anyone to try, creativity is not limited to the camera you choose, but to mislead the folks into thinking a P&S is sufficient for a photography contest that doesnt have a P&S category is unfair.

The only way to do that fairly is have category's and have the participants submit accordingly

HDR
Photoshopped
Untouched pro DSLR
P&S

Opanda exif viewer can determine what camera the image came from in the "untouched" category - Photoshopped can accept any entry because this is akin to the "open" class ... and the very best images will be submitted here.

Opanda will weed out cheaters in the P&S class as well because it reveals camera exif info. this way nobody has any complaints about sandbagging or cheaters.

Also...to be honest ... 10 grand is nothing in terms of "pro gear" I own one lens that cost 8k ... my entire equipment list is close to 100k in value. nowadays the budding amateur can easily have 10k in his equipment.

More often a P&S yields a "lame photo" when compared to one taken by a high end pro setup. the reason for this is because the pro photographer has not only invested his money in his equipment, but his life and soul - he is a "photographer" those who do not wish to make this investment still like to take "pictures" and they invest in P&S cameras.

It does not mean they cant take a nice photo but to imagine a pro who has skill and experience using a P&S to win a photography contest just doesnt fly...sorry.

but like you said...encouraging everyone to submit is what this is all about and thats the real beauty of photography, taking photos and seeing others photos. I agree that everyone should try and have fun with it no matter what gear they use.

You are taking this way to seriously I think. It's just a friendly contest for bragging rights....nothing more.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
You are taking this way to seriously I think. It's just a friendly contest for bragging rights....nothing more.

lol...im not even entering.

Im just bench racing about photography stuff.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
OK. Well in that case check this out...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

Majoli's images for all three stories drew rave notices, and they earned him some of photojournalism's most prestigious awards in 2004, including the U.S. National Press Photographers Association's Best of Photojournalism Magazine Photographer of the Year Award and the U.S. Overseas Press Club's Feature Photography Award.

It would seem reasonable to guess that all that award-winning work in remote and frequently dangerous places must have been shot with big, fast, bulletproof pro SLR cameras. But in fact, Majoli shot every frame with Olympus C-5050 digital point-and-shoots -- the same camera your snap happy Uncle Maury takes to Disney World.

There are 100's of stories just like that out there. So to say "to mislead the folks into thinking a P&S is sufficient for a photography contest that doesnt have a P&S category is unfair." IS actually misleading people into thinking they need big fancy camera when they don't. Period.

Last edited:

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
OK. Well in that case check this out...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

There are 100's of stories just like that out there. So to say "to mislead the folks into thinking a P&S is sufficient for a photography contest that doesnt have a P&S category is unfair." IS actually misleading people into thinking they need big fancy camera when they don't. Period.

There is nothing technically superior about those images - the camera used could have been a brownie pinhole camera and he still would have won the awards because of the content - (War & civil unrest or 3rd world famine Images always get awards) Go find me 100 stories just like that out there and I will tell you the same thing. this is a "photography contest" not a photojournalism contest - big difference. I didnt look into it, but I would guess that photographer also had alot of experience under his belt as well - be it in photography or military or humanitarian. just being in a place where civilized humans rarely go is enough to win you an award photographically. Funny how people think these places are common stomping grounds for "guys with camera" like its disneyland.

Let me see the images he took with a P&S that allowed him to use off camera lighting, oops...thats right, you cant do that with a P&S (unless you have lights with an optical sensor and you pick up his main flash of course - but thats kind of against the point since P&S are meant to simplify things ) ...or the images where he blended 9 exposures together ...oops, alot of P&S dont have manual exposure settings that are sufficient for the entire range of an HDR.

Dont even get me started on sensor size - pixel peepers see an 8 MP P&S and think they are right in there with a DSLR thats got 8mp ...bzzzzz wrong again, the sensor size is everything, pixel density, pixel size is what matters, not the MP number displayed on the neatly packaged box.

How about long exposures? do P&S even have a tripod mount anywhere on them? My 7.1 megapixel canon TX-1 powershot doesnt and thats a really good P&S.

I am not saying they cant take "fine" photographs, I am saying that they are undergunned and simply lack the range a pro DSLR has. Its not fanboyism, its fact. more can be done, more easily with a higher end camera - all one needs to do is get away from a P&S and get into an interchangeable lens DSLR - you dont even have to buy the best, you just need something with a lil bit more versatility. there are a ton of entry level DSLR's out there that have more features that arent much more money that some of the top of the line P&S

This is like arguing that a Yugo is just as good as a Ferarri because it can still get you from point A to point B. some things just do everything better.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
EXACTLY! That's my point. HELLLLLO. I'm not sure why you go on to contradict yourself.

LOL the point that you painfully missed is that his content was WAR - UNREST - FAMINE

Every person on here is going to be posting photos of cars or car parts. ... maybe the guy who posts in here from Bahrain will get lucky and get a photo of his GTI getting blown to bits, but with a P&S it might be blurry.

Good luck man, good luck everyone, just have fun with whatever you are using to shoot. sheesh

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
No I didn't miss that. Photography Contest, Photojournalism Award whatever. You just come across like an elitist with your "100 thousand" dollars worth of equipment.....saying that it's misleading people to say they can win a photography contest with a P&S. It's bullshit IMO.

I just think discouraging people based on their equipment is a really lame thing to do. Especially since this is a friendly contest between forum members. It's supposed to be fun.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
Yea...I am elitist, I provide for my family by running a business with only 100k in overhead - most businesses spend that in a month easily but I'm elitist...give me a break.

I have 23 years of photography experience to back up my opinions. how many years do you have? Until you walk in my shoes, dont start with name calling, I have been polite in that regard and I am simply trying to illustrate a point that you are stubbornly not wanting to hear. I have been encouraging in all my posts that no mater what "have fun" apparently you missed that too, if you cant handle reality, keep posting on message boards - its the right place for someone of your mindset.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit

I read that weeks ago... seems like its split down the middle on the "generality" of subject matter and use between P&S and pro DSLR.

The consensus that i gathered from that thread was that the experience of the photographer is the overriding factor when it comes to the final image.

Which is what I have maintained here all along. A capable photog can take a P&S and do well, but the average guy can do more with a pro DSLR because the camera has beter features...be it iso capability, faster AF or a more precise AutoExposure mode.

I think when people call "fanboy" they cant afford the equipment and thats jealousy rearing their ugly head. If someone can afford the equipment and do a great job - they obviously arent fanboys, but a capable pro. if its the other way around and they cant do crap with their 10k in gear... "fanboy"

oh well.

I am done, I made my point...
Enjoy the contest folks

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Ugh.. G*d Damnit... can we stop bickering and just get a topic already.

a 10MP good point and shoot vs a 8MP SLR are not going to be incredibly noticable differences.

This is for the best picture, if we are voting on it, hopefully people can look past the HDR or filtering of the image and decide if the final product is something they like.

I mean here are some of my pictures, with varying amounts of photo editing
HDR

Photoshop

or a point and shoot with no editing and no photoshop Canon ES450 IIRC the model #