GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Control module failing, DSG disengaging!

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Hello everyone,
i have a problem on my 57k miles 09 MKV GTi. It got involved in an accident, the most obvious damages got repaired, except a cracked subfame bracket, and bent stretch bolts that i believe let to my front right wheel pushed back a few millimeters. However, it lately shows some more issues.

Firstly, it threw some codes in a lot of control modules, all pointing to the same thing, "lost communication with ABS Control module".

The most apparent abnormalities would be:
1. A beeping sound that comes up randomly while driving, even when switching the ignition to ON position at times

2. The beep comes with a couple of lights, traction control, ABS, and brake warning light, and at time low fuel warning light

3. At times(more frequently lately), whenever all mentioned above on #2 happen, the speedometer would just fall straight to zero yet the car is still maintaining its speed. This can last for the whole journey!

4. It shows steering wheel light, traction and tire pressure light all the time

5. Lately, the car would feel a little sluggish when ever these(#2) happen

6. Very lately, what got me insane was, the DSG disengages while on low speed, in traffic of just out of the parking. the engine would just rev up, with the lever still in D, with no response. This requires me to switch off the engine, and then on again, it will be then it gets normal.

I am hoping to replace the ABS CM, and see how it holds up. However, i am struggling to find the matching part number as VW dealers rob me on that component.
Can you please suggest and guide me on solving these problems. All my speed sensors are okay and i believe there isn't any open connections, unless i have to dig deeper on that one.

Thanks in advance for your constructive, informative and brilliant answers.
peace!

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I had the speedo going to zero, beeping and ABS light for a second several times when driving. Turns out it was a loose battery ground. But your issues seems more serious

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Well, I don't have DSG, but I suggest you read up (on this forum) the dozens of pages related to ABS Control Module failures in 2009 MKV GTI's. VW did offer an extended warranty (eventually) to cover this costly repair, but the car is now 10 years old and you need to check with your Dealer to see if the warranty is still valid. Hope so, as it's an expensive module + labor (or was back when below threads were active).

To read up on the subject, see:

My post #553: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151505&page=26
My repair: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=ABS+Module

In summary, ABS Controller failures were common in early MKV's. While the repair CAN be done by a competent person, it's not very easy. The module is in a difficult spot to reach and you must be especially careful to avoid damaging / cross threading the 6 brake lines. And you need a Ross Tech VagCom scanner to reset / adapt several (4 as I recall) sub-systems. Hopefully VW's extended warranty is still valid.

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Thanks for the information. I will check the links. The car is not under warranty, everything is on me!:cry:

Well, I don't have DSG, but I suggest you read up (on this forum) the dozens of pages related to ABS Control Module failures in 2009 MKV GTI's. VW did offer an extended warranty (eventually) to cover this costly repair, but the car is now 10 years old and you need to check with your Dealer to see if the warranty is still valid. Hope so, as it's an expensive module + labor (or was back when below threads were active).

To read up on the subject, see:

My post #553: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151505&page=26
My repair: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=ABS+Module

In summary, ABS Controller failures were common in early MKV's. While the repair CAN be done by a competent person, it's not very easy. The module is in a difficult spot to reach and you must be especially careful to avoid damaging / cross threading the 6 brake lines. And you need a Ross Tech VagCom scanner to reset / adapt several (4 as I recall) sub-systems. Hopefully VW's extended warranty is still valid.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Theres a recall out on the ABS modules for the 09, very common for them to fail. bring to VW and they should fix for free if thats the issue. Same thing happened to mine and many others but I had to replace it myself before the recall was issued.

(it could potentially be an ABS wheel speed sensor issue too but look up the recall on the 09 for the ABS module they will fix at any mileage you should have gotten notices in the mail for recall too)

*oh just realized you are in Lesotho lol....may be out of luck on that recall ..

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Also likely your DSG mechatronic is dying or some of the solenoids in it are. Pretty common too unfortunately.

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
yah it definitely wont apply Unfortunately, i have no option but to deal with it myself!

Theres a recall out on the ABS modules for the 09, very common for them to fail. bring to VW and they should fix for free if thats the issue. Same thing happened to mine and many others but I had to replace it myself before the recall was issued.

(it could potentially be an ABS wheel speed sensor issue too but look up the recall on the 09 for the ABS module they will fix at any mileage you should have gotten notices in the mail for recall too)

*oh just realized you are in Lesotho lol....may be out of luck on that recall ..

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Can't the ABS CM issue lead to TCM being confused, not necessarily dying? im not sure how the two systems communicate and what kind of data they're sharing.
maybe someone can clarify on that.
what i have spotted it it does that whenever the ABS issue randomly becomes worse.

Also likely your DSG mechatronic is dying or some of the solenoids in it are. Pretty common too unfortunately.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
How about if you post up the complete Auto Scan for this car. As for ABS Dtc you might get other Dtc in other modules because of the ABS issue/s.

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Hello everyone, I got the 2009 MK6 TSi Module but havent fitted yet, part #: 1K0 907 379 AP, Mine is 1K0 907 379 AE, i think they are compatible if im right.

However, the guy i got the module from insists that the module is not faulty, plus it probably didnt feel any impact during accident, He rather believes the steering control module is the one faulty.

He cleared the codes, but the steering one remained. We tried to do the basic settings and adaptations for angle sensor, but it couldn't succeed. The surprising thing is, we struggled to access the steering assist, there wasnt any communication, but eventually we did! but i had always accessed it and checked how the angle sensor could respond as i turned the steering before i could go to him.

The bottom line is, the abs codes and the beeps havent returned, however, the speedo still falls randomly, the steering light is still there, the brakes control module says incorrect basic setting for the angle sensor, traction control cant be switched ON/OFF!

I am currently confused as to where exactly the problem is at. What do you suggest i should do to find out the exact problem. By the way, im just an upcoming enthusiast who is still learning a lot of things, im not well versed with these things but im trying my best!

cheers!

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Hello everyone, as an update, I installed the module(with the whole abs assembly), i did the coding using Obdeleven, it just accepted it without appending any zeros. I did the basic setting and adaptations for relevant sensors, bled the system several times, and all went okay except that i had to deal with the Coding resetting itself to zeros. I did a couple of kilos with the car, it seemed okay!

However, this morning when i switched the car ON, the beeps and all relevant abs warning lights were all back as before! The speedo seemed to be workin still fine though! The steering warning was back too! I scanned the car, the brakes control module threw some codes, saying the hydraulic pump was 'faulty', and the control module was 'faulty'!
The codes didnt clear, i even thought of switching the pump with my original one, but the module with the replacement one. But i remembered i didnt do function Test after installation.
i then re-adapted the sensors, the steering wheel light disappeared, and i then did function test, after a million trials, it went all good and all the remaining lights disappeared!
i did a couple of kilos again, all seems okay thus far, i will see how it will be in the morning. Can i ask,are those 'faulty' codes for the pump and module expected if the function test wasnt carried out/completed?

cheers!