GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurocars build thread

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Spare transmission case is at the powdercoaters, should be back by the end of this week. Peloquin LSD added to the mix as well. Testing engine wiring today

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Such great attention to detail, what a great project.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
New transmission is back together, all new bearings and seals. I wish the color wasn’t so brown, but it’s the closest one my powdercoater could find to match the duplicolor cast iron grey that i painted the block with

Input shaft brace sealed from the inside AND outside (they are notorious for leaks)

My very professional preload measuring setup

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Went live today with the battery, no smoke and no fires. Was a little nervous after lots of wiring work over 2 years. No engine fault codes either.

Only issues i noted so far is that somehow all of the central conv. coding reverted back to factory, the brake switch turns off the lights instead of turning them on (not sure if coding or wiring since i went with a MK4 switch), the coolant level sensor is beeping even though i wired it so it should be off, and even though my headliner was in perfect condition when i parked the car i noticed today that the entire center section has separated. Only noticed it when the wife went to put the battery cables on and hit it with her head.

Next week I’ll swap in the built trans, wrap the rest of the engine harness and start installing the rest of the drivetrain.

To do:

Fill all fluids
Double check all engine hardware torque
Loom rear section of engine harness
Swap transmissions
Bolt up axles
Route PCV hoses/figure out catch can solution
Put new fuel in tank

After that it’s driving. Not sure if the 70A alternator is enough, but we’ll find out

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Went live today with the battery, no smoke and no fires. Was a little nervous after lots of wiring work over 2 years. No engine fault codes either.

Only issues i noted so far is that somehow all of the central conv. coding reverted back to factory, the brake switch turns off the lights instead of turning them on (not sure if coding or wiring since i went with a MK4 switch), the coolant level sensor is beeping even though i wired it so it should be off, and even though my headliner was in perfect condition when i parked the car i noticed today that the entire center section has separated. Only noticed it when the wife went to put the battery cables on and hit it with her head.

Next week I’ll swap in the built trans, wrap the rest of the engine harness and start installing the rest of the drivetrain.

To do:

Fill all fluids
Double check all engine hardware torque
Loom rear section of engine harness
Swap transmissions
Bolt up axles
Route PCV hoses/figure out catch can solution
Put new fuel in tank

After that it’s driving. Not sure if the 70A alternator is enough, but we’ll find out
That headliner issue is exactly what happened with my car :cry:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
My Golf, Passat and now GTI all have saggy headliners

That headliner issue is exactly what happened with my car :cry:

My mk5 also had this happen.

I scheduled an appointment with an interior team who is scheduled out till mid September. It will also cost a few hundred... which I think I’m okay with because the interior is immaculate except for the tent that suddenly appeared between last week and the week before. All was fine and then *boom* the material separated.

Now... alcantrara or just regular oem-like fabric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk