GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Gray MKV GTI

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Hey guys, I am in the process of rebuilding my car and I recently purchased a hood from some guy on Facebook. I forgot to grab the vin on it for the rebuild paperwork and I messaged the guy, but he won't respond (it's been over 4 months). I am now stuck relying on somebody to throw me a vin number of a car with similar color so I could throw it on the sheet, simply just so that its there. On the other hand, I am looking for mkv gti shells (no motor or blown motor). LMK and thanks ahead of time!:thanks:

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, I am in the process of rebuilding my car and I recently purchased a hood from some guy on Facebook. I forgot to grab the vin on it for the rebuild paperwork and I messaged the guy, but he won't respond (it's been over 4 months). I am now stuck relying on somebody to throw me a vin number of a car with similar color so I could throw it on the sheet, simply just so that its there. On the other hand, I am looking for mkv gti shells (no motor or blown motor). LMK and thanks ahead of time!:thanks:

You're a new member and this is a very odd request. Maybe the guy that sold you the hood isn't responding because giving you the VIN # off of his car was not part of the deal related to selling you a hood. So, why would somebody from this website "throw you a VIN" from their own car - the VIN is, of course, a unique identity plate that ties that specific vehicle to that specific owner, assuming it's a registered driveable car?

Why can't you use the VIN from the GTI you're rebuilding -- that's really the question? If the car was in a serious wreck, then it would have a R-Title for a salvaged vehicle -- but, it would still have its own VIN. Also, why do you say, "rebuilding your car," but you never say what year you're rebuilding, or even that the vehicle is even a VW GTI. So, again, why are you asking people from this website to "throw you a VIN" and what "sheet" are you trying to put someone else's VIN on? Clearly, whatever you're doing isn't legal, if you need some random person's VIN to do it, and the fact your account is so new and the way your story reads -- "hey, I bought a hood off of Facebook"... what does that have to do with anything and why would a guy selling you a used hood give you the VIN off his car in the first place?

Last edited:

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
You're a new member and this is a very odd request. Maybe the guy that sold you the hood isn't responding because giving you the VIN # off of his car was not part of the deal related to selling you a hood. So, why would somebody from this website "throw you a VIN" from their own car - the VIN is, of course, a unique identity plate that ties that specific vehicle to that specific owner, assuming it's a registered driveable car?

Why can't you use the VIN from the GTI you're rebuilding -- that's really the question? If the car was in a serious wreck, then it would have a R-Title for a salvaged vehicle -- but, it would still have its own VIN. Also, why do you say, "rebuilding your car," but you never say what year you're rebuilding, or even that the vehicle is even a VW GTI. So, again, why are you asking people from this website to "throw you a VIN" and what "sheet" are you trying to put someone else's VIN on? Clearly, whatever you're doing isn't legal, if you need some random person's VIN to do it, and the fact your account is so new and the way your story reads -- "hey, I bought a hood off of Facebook"... what does that have to do with anything and why would a guy selling you a used hood give you the VIN off his car in the first place?

Sorry brother I think I may be misunderstood. When making a sale of used automotive parts, it is good practice for the seller to give the vin number of the car as proof of valid ownership(not stolen). I have purchased a large amount of parts for this vehicle, recieving the vin number for each of them so that I could then write a receipt of the transaction and include the vin on there so that when the inspector checks the car, they can see I have a valid VW vin (so they know I didn't steal it). I have an 08 mkv gti and am rebuilding it due to it being my brothers accident car and the sentimental value it holds. I am looking for a favor, but favors are not always delivered so I can understand why people wouldn't want to give a vin number to some guy through text or email. The vin is an identification number, but in reality it is not of high confidentiality. Anyone can see your vin. I am not looking to steal a vin, just looking to see if someone is willing. A good candidate would be a crashed car that someone scrapped. I'm into the hood a good chunk of money and part of the deal was the vin (mentioned in conversation b/w me and seller). He wouldn't respond and I forgot to check it before I left and now I am relying on anyone who can help. I am looking for shells with clean titles because it's easier to swap motors into a clean title car than getting a rebuilt title in my state. Sorry for the lack of details brother, I appreciate the feedback. It helps me to make it look less sketchy.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry brother I think I may be misunderstood. When making a sale of used automotive parts, it is good practice for the seller to give the vin number of the car as proof of valid ownership(not stolen). I have purchased a large amount of parts for this vehicle, recieving the vin number for each of them so that I could then write a receipt of the transaction and include the vin on there so that when the inspector checks the car, they can see I have a valid VW vin (so they know I didn't steal it). I have an 08 mkv gti and am rebuilding it due to it being my brothers accident car and the sentimental value it holds. I am looking for a favor, but favors are not always delivered so I can understand why people wouldn't want to give a vin number to some guy through text or email. The vin is an identification number, but in reality it is not of high confidentiality. Anyone can see your vin. I am not looking to steal a vin, just looking to see if someone is willing. A good candidate would be a crashed car that someone scrapped. I'm into the hood a good chunk of money and part of the deal was the vin (mentioned in conversation b/w me and seller). He wouldn't respond and I forgot to check it before I left and now I am relying on anyone who can help. I am looking for shells with clean titles because it's easier to swap motors into a clean title car than getting a rebuilt title in my state. Sorry for the lack of details brother, I appreciate the feedback. It helps me to make it look less sketchy.

Okay, but if you're rebuilding your brother's 08 VW GTI, it would already have a VIN on the body, so why aren't you using that one? I did not see that explanation in your response about rebuilding your brother's car. Also, interestingly enough, I have a Union Grey 2008 GTI, but there's no way I'm giving out my VIN #. Yes, if you saw it in a parking lot, you could write it down or take a pic of it on your phone - but it's not very easy to find a Union Grey MKV just sitting somewhere. If somebody really wanted a VIN, you could probably find a Craigslist listing somewhere in the US using Google where the sale has a Carfax link with the VIN on it. Actually, if somebody wanted one bad enough, that person could simply cruise by a VW dealership -- there's likely to be an MKV somewhere on the lot, if not for sale, then waiting for some type of service in the VW garage.

I doubt anyone here is just going to give out their VIN #, though - and that absolutely includes me. As I said, it's STILL not clear why you're not just using the VIN on your brother's 08 GTI... why do you need ANOTHER VIN if what you're doing is legal?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Okay, but if you're rebuilding your brother's 08 VW GTI, it would already have a VIN on the body, so why aren't you using that one? I did not see that explanation in your response about rebuilding your brother's car. Also, interestingly enough, I have a Union Grey 2008 GTI, but there's no way I'm giving out my VIN #. Yes, if you saw it in a parking lot, you could write it down or take a pic of it on your phone - but it's not very easy to find a Union Grey MKV just sitting somewhere. If somebody really wanted a VIN, you could probably find a Craigslist listing somewhere in the US using Google where the sale has a Carfax link with the VIN on it. Actually, if somebody wanted one bad enough, that person could simply cruise by a VW dealership -- there's likely to be an MKV somewhere on the lot, if not for sale, then waiting for some type of service in the VW garage.

I doubt anyone here is just going to give out their VIN #, though - and that absolutely includes me. As I said, it's STILL not clear why you're not just using the VIN on your brother's 08 GTI... why do you need ANOTHER VIN if what you're doing is legal?

The car was in a front end collision and the hood was badly twisted. I have since had the frame repaired from the accident. I cant use the same VIN for the hood because I am not reusing the hood that came with the car since it was so badly damage. I needed the VIN from the gti I got the new hood from. Just cant get it so I am looking for someone willing to just let me have their vin so I can prove the hood isn't stolen. In the end, the worst that can happen is that I have to buy a nee hood. If you ever find a shell or blown motor mkv gti let me know. Thanks for the advice.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
The car was in a front end collision and the hood was badly twisted. I have since had the frame repaired from the accident. I cant use the same VIN for the hood because I am not reusing the hood that came with the car since it was so badly damage. I needed the VIN from the gti I got the new hood from. Just cant get it so I am looking for someone willing to just let me have their vin so I can prove the hood isn't stolen. In the end, the worst that can happen is that I have to buy a nee hood. If you ever find a shell or blown motor mkv gti let me know. Thanks for the advice.

Wait a sec, that does not make sense. You said you needed the VIN from the previous Facebook seller, but now you're saying the VIN is on the hood and it does not match? I have a GTI, and I'm not aware of the VIN being on the hood... and if it was on the hood, why would you need to ask the person that sold you the hood for the VIN? People replace hoods due to crashes all of the time, and that does not require you to change your VIN.

Why don't you provide a pic of your car and this hood, because you're story isn't adding up.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Just pull one from the web or the parking lot :biggrin: I understand what you are doing rebuilding the car and trying to keep proof of how you got the parts legally. What I do not understand is why you are looking for a shell unless doing a swap of parts from one to the other don't want those hidden VINs messing you up.

PSU

1660/5000

From what I understand, he’s just covering his tracks.

“This hood came from VIN xxxyyy”

“This bumper came from VIN yyyzzz”

Etc, etc.

I’d guess he’s not in the US as that’s not common practice here but I do understand where he’s coming from.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Etc, etc.

I’d guess he’s not in the US as that’s not common practice here but I do understand where he’s coming from.

Looks like OP is from the "East Coast" and different states and types of titles on the car may require the VIN that the parts came from or at least a bill of sale.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My apologies to poster but nobody knows you and you are asking for personal info with a story that may or may not be true. You would have to be on here quite a while to get that kind of an ask.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
The VIN is visible from the outside of any parked car, if you want so badly a VIN then look around for a Golf 5 same color and then write it down. I don't understand your point though, you have a receipt from the transaction, isn't it enough?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
The VIN is visible from the outside of any parked car, if you want so badly a VIN then look around for a Golf 5 same color and then write it down. I don't understand your point though, you have a receipt from the transaction, isn't it enough?

In my state, the inspection requires a recipet and vin on a document where you have to list major parts replaced (hood, fender, door, etc). I could steal a vin, but I am just not intrusive like that and contradicts my morals. I just ask people and if they say yes, great, if not then thats fine as well.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
My apologies to poster but nobody knows you and you are asking for personal info with a story that may or may not be true. You would have to be on here quite a while to get that kind of an ask.

No apology needed bro I completely understand?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

Etc, etc.

Exactly whats going on except i do live in the US its just difficult to pass this inspection in my state. They want everything documented and ID.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Just pull one from the web or the parking lot :biggrin: I understand what you are doing rebuilding the car and trying to keep proof of how you got the parts legally. What I do not understand is why you are looking for a shell unless doing a swap of parts from one to the other don't want those hidden VINs messing you up.

I would take a shell simply in the case that I fail this inspection for stupid little things. My buddy has done this many times but always manages to fail for cracked mudguards, broken fog bulb, or something silly like that.