GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystery Oil Leak Passenger Side... Help..

Jnovoa28

I have this oil leak that leaks all over the passenger bottom side of the motor. Oil will be on intercooler piping, passenger side part of oil pan(not drivers side). Changed out oil return line because it was kinked thinking that was the issue & it still leaks. Oil is visible all the way to the control arm. Camshaft seal was replaced.

Any idea where it can be coming from anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jnovoa28

The motor just got a rebuilt head and new timing belt and tensioner about 2-3k miles ago. It currently has 147k miles on it.

Just replaced the oil pan gasket. Can you explain how a valve cover gasket will leak all the way down ?

Messy

Throw any p0299 codes? I had to replace my turbo muffler o ring after doing the timing chain tensioner. Maybe the pressed o-ring on the lower timing chain cover?

Jnovoa28

Throw any p0299 codes? I had to replace my turbo muffler o ring after doing the timing chain tensioner. Maybe the pressed o-ring on the lower timing chain cover?

I have not thrown any p0299 codes, I have thrown a p0011 & p2293 code. The pressed o-ring is the crankshaft seal I was talking about that I replaced as well.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Just replaced the oil pan gasket. Can you explain how a valve cover gasket will leak all the way down ?

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass. Gravity.

With oil leaks i have found its best to look up from where you have oil to where there isn’t and work your way to the leak. For example, if you have oil all down the back (firewall side) of the engine I would look to see where it’s wet and look up from there to find the leak, some folks may have different opinions but that’s what I’ve done in the past and it’s been successful. Other folks may chime in to see what’s worked for them.

Oh I almost forgot. Clean the area 1st before trying to diagnose these issues.

Jnovoa28

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass. Gravity.

With oil leaks i have found its best to look up from where you have oil to where there isn’t and work your way to the leak. For example, if you have oil all down the back (firewall side) of the engine I would look to see where it’s wet and look up from there to find the leak, some folks may have different opinions but that’s what I’ve done in the past and it’s been successful. Other folks may chime in to see what’s worked for them.

Oh I almost forgot. Clean the area 1st before trying to diagnose these issues.

Changed the valve cover gasket, since it’s a cheap easy fix. Will keep updating if it continues to leak. There was oil in the back of valve cover. So hopefully that was the leak

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Did they ever add dye to the oil? Might help find it. When I had fsi remember the oil return line from the turbo leaked at the block gasket.

Jnovoa28

Did they ever add dye to the oil? Might help find it. When I had fsi remember the oil return line from the turbo leaked at the block gasket.

I’m actually going to do that today, hopefully can source down the leak & I replaced the oil return line with gasket