GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brake lights are stuck on all the time!! Why?!?!

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed
VW has replaced the switch with a new one, did nothing eventually EPC light came on. A few days later my father replaced it himself, same thing :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed
Wiring for that switch F and Vcds could tell you the status of that switch.

Current part number for that switch should be 5G0698459 confirm with your dealer.

I don’t really understand how the wiring works, I appreciate the help though. VW spent 2 weeks trying to diagnose it. The shrugged their shoulders after day 14 and suggest we rewire the car

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
OK, key in off position brake lights off, key in on position brake lights on correct??

What happens when you disconnect the brake light switch? Key off and key on??

FWIW the Cecm J519 module controls all exterior lights

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Remove that switch or switch is broken call will not start in DSG because you need to press brake pedal just like the a manual will not start if clutch pedal not depressed.
A bit off topic but the manual will not prevent you to try to start if the clutch is not depressed, I always start it in neutral with handbrake on (and yes it works in 1st gear too, don't ask me how I know...)

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I don’t really understand how the wiring works, I appreciate the help though. VW spent 2 weeks trying to diagnose it. The shrugged their shoulders after day 14 and suggest we rewire the car

Were you able to verify with your father the exact part he used? I was looking it up, and the part appears to be made by Facet Spl in Italy, and VW sells the Facet part as VW Genuine OEM. The model # (as mentioned above) is 5G0698459 for the Facet and VW part. Looks like it's the same part from 2007-2018, so, nothing special about an 09.

Anywho, the above said, the switch appears fairly simple. I'm not certain how it works, but looks like it's a sensor that may work like an ABS sensor (detects position of a magnetic object) on the master cylinder. So, I did some searching and found somebody else on the MK6 forum (note brake light sensors on MKV, MK6, and MK7 are all the same) and this guy had a very similar problem -- almost laughably similar. He took it to the dealer, the dealer replaced the part, the part did not fix the issue, and the dealer left it at that - blamed his modifications for not being able to do a proper scan. His lights were stuck on all of the time, like yours, meaning the car could be started even though the brake light switch was not working.

So, without further adieu or drama - HE was able to trace the problem back to a blown fuse. I don't know what fuse is linked to the brake light switch (ie - not the brake lights, as they work, the fuse for the switch may be blown). Have your dad check the fuses -- google it to see if you can track down the exact fuse location. I can tell you, though, I have a Haines Repair Manual at home, and it has a fuse diagram if you can't track it down.

Let me know if this turns out to be the issue. Also, read the post from 2012 for yourself:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50189

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol that’s too funny... I will pass him down the information. I just can’t believe VW couldn’t figure that one out. I’ve mentioned to him before that it could be a fuse, he said VW tried it all. (Which also blows my mind why they can’t figure it out) but maybe he was thinking about the fuse for the actually bulbs themselves. I’ll have to tell him to look at the fuse for the switch itself.

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed
Were you able to verify with your father the exact part he used? I was looking it up, and the part appears to be made by Facet Spl in Italy, and VW sells the Facet part as VW Genuine OEM. The model # (as mentioned above) is 5G0698459 for the Facet and VW part. Looks like it's the same part from 2007-2018, so, nothing special about an 09.

Anywho, the above said, the switch appears fairly simple. I'm not certain how it works, but looks like it's a sensor that may work like an ABS sensor (detects position of a magnetic object) on the master cylinder. So, I did some searching and found somebody else on the MK6 forum (note brake light sensors on MKV, MK6, and MK7 are all the same) and this guy had a very similar problem -- almost laughably similar. He took it to the dealer, the dealer replaced the part, the part did not fix the issue, and the dealer left it at that - blamed his modifications for not being able to do a proper scan. His lights were stuck on all of the time, like yours, meaning the car could be started even though the brake light switch was not working.

So, without further adieu or drama - HE was able to trace the problem back to a blown fuse. I don't know what fuse is linked to the brake light switch (ie - not the brake lights, as they work, the fuse for the switch may be blown). Have your dad check the fuses -- google it to see if you can track down the exact fuse location. I can tell you, though, I have a Haines Repair Manual at home, and it has a fuse diagram if you can't track it down.

Let me know if this turns out to be the issue. Also, read the post from 2012 for yourself:

Yeahh pretty similar, its just he’s able to start his car without depressing the brakes. As in my case I need to press the brakes in order to Turn on the car.

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed

If you don’t mind, can you tell me the fuse location? I just want to make sure. I think it’s fuse number 2, I looked it up but I’m just not sure if it’s for this specific year and a model.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Lol that’s too funny... I will pass him down the information. I just can’t believe VW couldn’t figure that one out. I’ve mentioned to him before that it could be a fuse, he said VW tried it all. (Which also blows my mind why they can’t figure it out) but maybe he was thinking about the fuse for the actually bulbs themselves. I’ll have to tell him to look at the fuse for the switch itself.

That fuse for a '09 GTI would be SC2 located in fuse panel side of dash position #2 if that fuse is actually blown you should be see other issues besides just the brake light on.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
A bit off topic but the manual will not prevent you to try to start if the clutch is not depressed, I always start it in neutral with handbrake on (and yes it works in 1st gear too, don't ask me how I know...)

Perhaps a NAR vs ROW but I have to depress pedal to start car, sucks when you are working on the car and need to start it and you can not do it through an open window but need to either get in with all the grime on you or push the pedal in by hand and actuate key with the other.

Perhaps your car may have a "push clutch to start" bypass plug. Was thinking about getting one so I can start car without have to actuate clutch pedal an therefore put less stress on the thrust bearings.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
It's most likely a NAR vs ROW thing or the fact that it's a 2005. I replaced the master cylinder and there was no bypass. Maybe if you change it to ROW in engine and/or instruments with VCDS it would change this behavior?

I am thinking that a bypass would not be a good idea if your car is equipped with cruise control as clutching in disables it (not sure how à bypass works though)?

Last edited:

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
If you don’t mind, can you tell me the fuse location? I just want to make sure. I think it’s fuse number 2, I looked it up but I’m just not sure if it’s for this specific year and a model.

GTI's may know, but the OP on the MK6 issue mentioned:

Even on the service record, they noted "PIN #4 DOESN'T HAVE POWER", yet still didn't bother re-checking the fuse, or checking the right one.

Also, here's a pic of a 2007 MKV in-cabin fuse box (should be the same):

Attachments

• MKV fuse_panel (1).gif
    MKV fuse_panel (1).gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

MzMk5

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI's may know, but the OP on the MK6 issue mentioned:

Even on the service record, they noted "PIN #4 DOESN'T HAVE POWER", yet still didn't bother re-checking the fuse, or checking the right one.

Is fuse 2 the one he replaced? Didn’t mention it

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Hard to tell without looking at WD for MK6 but if you look at WD I posted Pin #4 on switch F is power from SC2 side panel position 2

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion

He never followed up after that, so don't know. I would recommend, however, checking Fuse #4 and Fuse #2 in that fuse box diagram I posted, above. When he writes "PIN #4," I'm assuming he's referring to the #4 fuse position. GTI's, above, seems to think it's fuse #2, so just check both - first. Again, since this is clearly not the fuse for the tail light BULBS... and it's the fuse for the brake light SWITCH -- I'm guessing that it would be easy to confuse the correct fuse position.