GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Won't lowering the car too much affect the actual suspension geometry that was intended? I realize your car does not have OEM (to the car) control arms or spindles, but isn't that still something to factor in?

Absolutely, too low throws roll center way off. Final ride hight will be determined by corner balance. That's also why I have camber and toe arms and am getting camber plates. I can go lower and correct roll center up to a certain degree.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Don't lower it based of splitter height, lower off of the control arm geometry.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Don't lower it based of splitter height, lower off of the control arm geometry.

Oh I'll make sure geometry is correct. The shop thats doing the corner balance specializes in racecars so they know what they're doing. I'll leave that aspect of the build to the guys that do it every day.

Took some pictures before I pet for work today.

larcic

Ready to race!
:) looking good man

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You pet for work? I'm so jealous...

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
There's no way in hell I'd ever go that low lol, was just stating how much room I have now. Will probably go 1" and see where the splitter sits. There's a lot of dialing in to do but I won't go low enough I'll have to worry about changing the steering rack or axle slapping frame issues.

I've generally been told to watch the axles - avoid excessive angles. And per comments earlier in the thread, really low cars are a pain to get on the trailer, especially with $1000 carbon splitters poking out there looking for something to catch on --- not to mention that occasional (inevitable) trip into the gravel trap.

If a race shop is doing your corner balancing, insist they put your equal weight in the drivers seat - or sit in there yourself, if they will let you. And have the battery & average fuel load on-board.

Also remember you can't easily change between older full race (bias ply) tires and radials without camber changes. So best to pick the tire you intend to run, and research their camber & toe settings before going to the alignment shop. And have the tires aired up to their expected hot running pressures.

Being able to do corner balance and alignment at home is nice, but pretty difficult unless you have access to a drive-on rack. Scales, turn plates, and a set of strings are affordable (even better if costs are shared with others), but impracticable unless you can get under the car to make the necessary adjustments.

Check out Road America or Blackhawk events sponsored by the Milwaukee region car clubs (all on MotorsportReg.org). Audi, BMW, and Porsche clubs all have RA dates, and BMW has two event days at Blackhawk. Good people and all do great Novice training (you mentioned your wife is new to track events). But don't wait too long, the Novice groups tend to fill up first and earlier over the past 2 years. PM me if you need more specifics.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
The doors definitely look better with the fenders on now, you've got a solid black-and-white theme going there

How's the fitment on your driver's seat? I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof

I feel your pain. I'm about 6'2" and don't fit very well in many cars - especially with a cage. For my old Scirocco, I just got a cheap Kirkey aluminum seat and bolted it directly to the floor. Works great for me (sits really low), but not so good for anyone else trying to drive it. Would be nice to have adjustments, I suppose. Maybe next time I build a car .....

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
The doors definitely look better with the fenders on now, you've got a solid black-and-white theme going there

How's the fitment on your driver's seat? I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof

Oh yeah, I wasn't too big on the doors before the flares went on. Now the flares are on I actually really dig the look, just need the hood and hatch now. Won't do the hatch till I have a wing sorted and on the car (don't need any less weight in the rear).

I'm running a fixed position base plate for the seat now and it's perfect. However, my wife can barely reach the pedals so we just ordered a new Wedge base plate and double locking sliders so I'll let you know how it is with that installed. Is your seat on the lowest position in the side brackets?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I've generally been told to watch the axles - avoid excessive angles. And per comments earlier in the thread, really low cars are a pain to get on the trailer, especially with $1000 carbon splitters poking out there looking for something to catch on --- not to mention that occasional (inevitable) trip into the gravel trap.

If a race shop is doing your corner balancing, insist they put your equal weight in the drivers seat - or sit in there yourself, if they will let you. And have the battery & average fuel load on-board.

Also remember you can't easily change between older full race (bias ply) tires and radials without camber changes. So best to pick the tire you intend to run, and research their camber & toe settings before going to the alignment shop. And have the tires aired up to their expected hot running pressures.

Being able to do corner balance and alignment at home is nice, but pretty difficult unless you have access to a drive-on rack. Scales, turn plates, and a set of strings are affordable (even better if costs are shared with others), but impracticable unless you can get under the car to make the necessary adjustments.

Check out Road America or Blackhawk events sponsored by the Milwaukee region car clubs (all on MotorsportReg.org). Audi, BMW, and Porsche clubs all have RA dates, and BMW has two event days at Blackhawk. Good people and all do great Novice training (you mentioned your wife is new to track events). But don't wait too long, the Novice groups tend to fill up first and earlier over the past 2 years. PM me if you need more specifics.

Would be great to hook up with you at an event or two! Thethreefifty is trying to make it out to some of the same events as well. I'll check out the BMW events at Blackhawk for sure. I know MVP lap times and gridlife are all running events at Blackhawk and Gingerman and I've run with both of them before. 3 balls Racing has a bunch of events going on two, I'm sure we will be able to coordinate something. I'll PM you my phone number to make this easier lol.

Also check out my clubs Facebook page, all of the events we are doing are listed there.

https://www.facebook.com/DeutshlandRaketenClub/

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I feel your pain. I'm about 6'2" and don't fit very well in many cars - especially with a cage. For my old Scirocco, I just got a cheap Kirkey aluminum seat and bolted it directly to the floor. Works great for me (sits really low), but not so good for anyone else trying to drive it. Would be nice to have adjustments, I suppose. Maybe next time I build a car .....

I'm 5'10" so I can only imagine how much harder it is for you to fit. We have it to the point where I can comfortably drive on the street but I'm going to ditch the rails to bring myself another 3/4" lower. That should put me at an acceptable track height. I'll probably end up having my mechanic modify the seat base too though, I should be able to get another 1/2" there.

Oh yeah, I wasn't too big on the doors before the flares went on. Now the flares are on I actually really dig the look, just need the hood and hatch now. Won't do the hatch till I have a wing sorted and on the car (don't need any less weight in the rear).

I'm running a fixed position base plate for the seat now and it's perfect. However, my wife can barely reach the pedals so we just ordered a new Wedge base plate and double locking sliders so I'll let you know how it is with that installed. Is your seat on the lowest position in the side brackets?

I just got home from my mechanic's shop and I'm going to end up doing the same thing as you, solid mounted to the seat base. The side mounts I had tapered in at the bottom so we couldn't mount the seat low enough. My mechanic cut the straight portions off and tacked them to some ninety degree aluminum though. That got me another inch but with my helmet on I was touching the roof. I figured the fixed back being so vertical was a big part of that so I moved the front of the seat up one hole and it helped enough to make driving without a helmet doable. They're welding up the side mounts fully now and then taking the rails out so I should be good for my first track day then. I might move the front of the seat up another hole once it's all in properly. It's still not in the lowest hole though because the bottom of the seat is millimeters away from the bolt holding it in the rails.

It doesn't look like that seat base you have is elevated at all, the one I have adds an inch of height on it's own.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I just got home from my mechanic's shop and I'm going to end up doing the same thing as you, solid mounted to the seat base.

Man - all this talk about seat mounting sure brings back memories. I goofed around with that damn seat for hours before deciding on its final position and angle. Did it all with large high grade bolts and thick washers / spacers. It turned out just fine - not sure if I actually got it in the "perfect" position, or just got used to it. Either way I sit really low and am comfortable. But if I ever need to remove the seat, will have to be careful to get all the misc hardware junk back in the exact right locations.

Oh - be sure to double check under the car before drilling any holes in the floor. It's amazing what that dumb drill bit can accidentally run into!