GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
One more picture from Water by the Bridge, thanks my buddy @mattmaynetf

Daily status engaged. Got a Thule fork mount bike rack for my bike, a used set of OEM carrier bars and I'll be reconditioning them. First custom plate as well. :thumbsup:

So last week we installed new ball joints, tie rod ends, hardware in the suspension along with new struts, springs and strut mounts/bearings.

The car with these B8 sport struts and VWR springs handles a little better - hard not to when the stock suspension had two broken rear springs and a leaking strut. In comparison to my Mk6 GTI this R32 still drives like a pig. I want all the mods that put into the GTI in this thing as well. It's a damn hard thing to have two cars that could be amazing little canyon carvers and yet be so different. I want my 28mm sway bars, full chassis bracing, hard coilovers, and all the rest that make the GTI such an amazing driver that the R32 could be if I had enough money to modify it. Though if I had that amount of money I would probably just want to go straight to a GTX or EFR turbo or something similar. This is partially an addiction isn't it. I've run down the options a hundred different ways and have never come out lower than 10k to do a direct injected VR6 properly. Keep saving and checking and looking, right? Eventually that perfect scenario will come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Nice! I think the added weight of the R32 is why I stay in the GTI.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Weight? Naw, it's the dsg only that killed it for me. The mk6 r though, hmmm...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Weight? Naw, it's the dsg only that killed it for me. The mk6 r though

Buy a wrecked TTS and make the swap. I keep looking at turbochargers though because I'm sick. This mah daily and it's a nice daily.

Nice! I think the added weight of the R32 is why I stay in the GTI.

I love my GTI. I've put a lot into it, way more than I probably should have lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Buy a wrecked TTS and make the swap. I keep looking at turbochargers though because I'm sick. This mah daily and it's a nice daily.

I love my GTI. I've put a lot into it, way more than I probably should have lol.

And that's why i cant buy an R32, I would not be able to control myself! I do prefer the MKIV R32, however to me that's like riding a unicorn as your daily horse.

I too have put a lot into my 06, but it's never enough lol. Building a racecar takes a lot!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
And that's why i cant buy an R32, I would not be able to control myself! I do prefer the MKIV R32, however to me that's like riding a unicorn as your daily horse.

I too have put a lot into my 06, but it's never enough lol. Building a racecar takes a lot!

I'd honestly never given a 2nd thought to buying a mk5 r32 until this literally fell in my lap when all I'd been looking at were 4runners and Tacomas as a daily.

superskyline89 said:
That's where all the fun is, driving a car and never doing anything to it is boring

Agree so much. That's why I keep fiddling with things. Trying to concentrate on the interior and usability mods since that's what makes the most sense to mess with - power adders are too expensive and not cost effective at all in terms of dollar/hp.

In other news, my 42DD spacers are causing some poor drivability issues. It's either the spacers or a bad alignment - or a combination of both. I've been having a bit of an unsettled driving experience that I think originates from having spacers that aren't properly hub-centric or holding against the wheels. I took the front wheels off and retorqued everything using wheel lug hangers to make sure the spacers and wheel were lined up as centrally as possible.

End result - driving smoother. But not perfect. So the cheap Firestone alignment I got might be also not great. I'll do a full on proper alignment with an experienced shop or my buddy who's an exotic car technician and knows exactly what he's doing.

The theory is that the 42DD spacers have a 45 degree lip along with a smaller straight lip to hold them - but maybe the lips aren't large enough for them to sit properly, making the wheels more lug-centric than hub-centric which makes me nervous. Also stock wheels, so they're not in great condition (but OEM Omanyts look amazing in my eyes ;))

Considering buying some H&R spacers which have huge lips to keep things centered. But that's another $100 or so, when I already have 5mm H&R spacers and these 10 and 15mm 42DD spacers.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
well... They're supposed to be hubcentric. I didn't have this problem with my stock mk6 gti wheels so maybe it's partially how these older - in admittedly worse condition - wheels sit with them. I don't know

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Hubcentric rings inside the wheels are usually ok, not a fan of spacers at all.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
42DD 10mm spacer. Used with OEM Serrons without a problem but the Omanyts don't like it.

My hubs. - r32 stock but with the aluminum TTRS rotor slightly sticking out from what stock would be.

H&R 12mm w/ a 45 degree bevel and I forget how large the lip is. Ordered a set of 10mm H&Rs and new 40mm lugs for good measure - don't wanna take a risk with the old stuff just in case.

Installed this - took 3 minutes. Don't feel any change to be honest - shift wise or nvh. Too used to lots of nvh from the billet mounts in the gti I guess.

Also checked my alignment specs - going to get another alignment to see if I had a bad one and that's the source of my unsettled car.