GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
From vortex, I found this. None of this is long coding, but you can look up that binary if you follow these.:

TPMS off (light)
19-CAN Gateway
07-Coding
Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box

TPMS off (message)
46-Central Conv.
07-Coding
Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box

Doing this causes 2 fault codes apparently - haven't tried it yet.

Also, apparently its illegal for a dealership/shop etc to turn off TPMS... but I don't really care. I just don't want to see the light. Can turn it back on when I put the summer wheels back on, I suppose.

EDIT: found this also.

In Vag Com:

Go into 19 Gateway Module
Click coding
Run through the bytes until you find 65 -- Tire Pressure Monitoring
Uncheck the box
Close window
Click do it
Done!

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Okay after doing more research.

You can turn off the MFD text alert.
You can turn off the dash light.
You can recode to use the ABS system and wheel speed instead of TPMS (mk6 style).

After checking I'm now thinking I should just recode to use the wheel speed style sensing. Will wire up an extra module that will use my traction and mute buttons combined to reset the system. Mk6s have this button in the glove box and you can get s blank button but I've used all of my slots already so we'll just try and make a simple additional circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Sitting here watching a professional repair the vinyl strip on my driver's side seat because it developed a small rip. Rather get it done now and fixed instead of letting it grow.

Before:

After:
Coming soon. Hanging with a blind huskie mutt in the meantime. She just ran headlong into a bookshelf, shook it off, and headed through the doorway she thought was there.

Edit: here we go. Sacrificed a small amount of cosmetics to make sure the fix lasted as long as possible. Filler, mesh melted on, more filler and then texturizing. Done by DuraMend in Cleveland, Ohio - great company that deals with repairing vinyls and upholstery in automotive applications. Great work and good pricing. Owner even owns his own chemical supply company that feeds the repair business.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Three days of work while it snowed outside - finally got a k04 installed on a Mk4 GLI. Started off to an auspicious beginning by snapping off two bolts removing the downpipe.

Turbo was slightly modified, added bigger injectors, and there's semi-custom tune not yet installed. Also can't start the car because of one damn banjo bolt that vanished and is needed for the coolant return line. hopefully running tomorrow.

Also, someone is going to die.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
R32 is the same - solid daily.

Finally finished installing my überstealth box Pioneer 10in shallow sub with a LCi line signal cleaner and a Fosgate amp.

This little 60amp fuse is very cool - OEM part for adding on accessories using the channels in the battery box. No need to drill into that watertight box!

Tapped the 12V in the trunk for ground and switched power for the amp. LCi is powered by a cord we ran down the side.

No need to drill any holes either through the firewall because the line 10 gauge fit through the accessory grommets on the main harness.

Temp set up to test and tune and then I'll build the amp side box and picture of the harness made to control all these wires.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Oil change and pulled my fender screws at the top because rubbing at deep compression even with stock height. These spacers (necessary because BBK) are pushing my wheels from et51 to et41.

Going to roll the fenders on Friday with a body shop pro and see if that helps all the rubbing. I snagged an apparently new set of Bilstien b8s off the forums here which I'm very excited about but now I want to find an OEM ish height spring with a higher rate to hopefully make things stiffer.

Since the mk5 r32 is one of the heaviest, I'm wondering if the rs3 springs or Audi tts springs might work.

My goal is stockish height with increase stiffness in the suspension. Don't want my tires hitting fender and since I'm hitting at stock height I'm definitely not really inclined to lower the car. I also do not want to raise it! I might be able to get a little bit of camber in the fronts... On my gti I can get -1.9 on both fronts with Superpro ball joints so I may be doing that...

Not sure but I want things settled in the next two weeks.

Got a set of the dubimport chromed mirror caps and will either try and make them brushed aluminum or buy a chromed front grill to match. Inclined to buy the grill as the DIYs for converting aren't super great. Also got a set of blue aspherical mirrors. I've got a normal colored aspherical mirror set on the gti and it rally helps with blind spots. Plus euro ish, brah. Test for the chrome caps tonight and snapped clips on both sides of my mirror. Whoops. And discovered one mirror was missing the entire black clip bracket that seats the mirror assembly against the turn signal assembly and supports. Kind of a hidden trim piece but you can clearly tell its loose. So I'll be ordered that at the very least.

Drivers side with mirror removed but trim piece in.

Passenger side with trim piece MIA. previous owner must have had someone disassemble and they lost it or something. Maybe when they sprayed the front bumper and hood.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Installing Bilstien B8 struts (mk6 version), VWR lowering springs, TT bushings and strut mounts front and rear, along with new ball joints, sway bar link ends, and the missing mirror trim piece. Probably replace my Valeo amber modded turns with some 921NA bulbs while I'm at it. Also voting day.... busy day. Time for sleep.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I'm glad I decided to do some suspension work. Front strut was leaking and both rear springs were cracked. Replaced the strut mounts/bushings with TT stuff, OEM front sway bay end links, OEM ball joints, and a lot of the hardware - pinch bolt, ball joint bolts etc etc etc. Also reused the OEM strut dust coverings since the bilstiens didn't come with any. Probably should get some at some point but meh...

Cosmetically - added the missing mirror trim piece inside the cap - no one can see it unless looking for it but it helps stabilize the lens. Aftermarket chrome grill went on also. Decent fit; not good at the top clips and missing a bolt hole in one of the top trim so drilled through it. Need to take some pictures. Overall not bad for an eBay grill.

Also tossed on my BBS CFs - didn't take pictures yet. Will let the springs settle first but gold on red looks nice. Really need to get an alignment now - needs as much camber front as possible - probably -1.8 if it's the same as a mk6. Rear hopefully about the same.

Edit: still rubbing front and rear at -1.8 with these wheels. Probably going to take them off

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Went to water by the bridge but it was pretty cold and so I only took two pictures. Hanging with the crew was fun - we won best mk6 and best CC #clevelandawayteam

Parked in front of the house we rented for the weekend. Only picture I really took of the car on the BBSs. Rubbed so much that tonight I put the Ompayts back on even tho I hate the tires on them.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Can't you just raise the ride height (I know this is a stupid question to ask a dubber)?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Can't you just raise the ride height (I know this is a stupid question to ask a dubber)?

It was rubbing at stock high. I'm only dropped about 3/4th an inch and I tried to keep it almost stock high but I wanted stiffer springs without waiting for custom springs.

The problem is the upsized tires (235/35/19) on et35 wheels. That 10mm makes a big difference.

I agree it looks nice but it doesn't fit without some more camber. It took -2.5 on my gti to fit without rubbing but with awd I didn't want to do that.

I'll most likely sell these BBS wheels - they're nice but they're never fit what I want. They're ordered in sizing for stretched tires which I refuse to do.