GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Looks good man. I've wanted to run the same wheel but 18x8.

Yeah the 8" won't have the same clearance issue with the shock. The rears have plenty of room but I will be running a 20 mm spacer in the rear and a 10mm spacer in the front. I'm thinking that extra 10mm up front will solve my clearance issue.

Buying the fender flares this week, excited to get those on, then ordering new tires (265) on all 4 corners. Should be a dramatic improvement in grip levels, in conjuction with the bumpsteer kit and ALK im hoping for some serious gains in the turns.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Ordering up the last few things I need within the next 2 weeks. Ordered my number plates today and will be slowly ordering the rest of the brakes as well.

Everything that needs to be done By 4/21/16.
- Install ECS carbon fiber fender flares
- New front and rear rotors and pads
- Replace all chassis hardware
- Install subframe deadset kit
- Coolant flush and replace all coolant hoses
- New tires
- Get and install wheel spacers
- Install oil pressure gauge
- Correct inline filter and union in water meth setup
- R&R alternator
- Reinstall all brakes with new braided lines

This should get the wife and I all setup for this upcoming season. I'm sure there are a few small things that will come up as I go along but we have our work cut out for us till the season starts.

Forgot to mention driver flags are going on. Just waiting on hers to show up (Ireland)

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
What's the story behind the new alternator?

At idle it's only putting out 11.23v so when my car just sits at idle it's actually discharging lol. With all my auxiliary systems (water meth/wideband/gauges/etc) my already failing alternator will be seriously taxed. So im getting a upgraded alternator with a higher output to deal with the increased draw of said systems.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
The F23T build begins.

Let me know what you do for an alternator. I may need one

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

x2

Could you share the link for the upgraded R&R alternator?

I found this link, is it the correct one?
http://www.showmetheparts.com/bbbmobile/
Part number: 11134

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles:
- Eagles flies only with eagles!
- To reach the top you must fly with the Top!

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
At idle it's only putting out 11.23v so when my car just sits at idle it's actually discharging lol. With all my auxiliary systems (water meth/wideband/gauges/etc) my already failing alternator will be seriously taxed. So im getting a upgraded alternator with a higher output to deal with the increased draw of said systems.

Will that mean it will provide more parasitic loss?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Looking sweet, here's to hoping your 2016 is racetastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
All those extra things you have installed wouldnt have enough amperage to make your car sit at 11v at idle. The alternator is just shot to begin with. Wish you were local i could bring a tester over an see wjats going on

live4something

Ready to race!
All those extra things you have installed wouldnt have enough amperage to make your car sit at 11v at idle. The alternator is just shot to begin with. Wish you were local i could bring a tester over an see wjats going on

Yea, he said it was already failing.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Thinking its Failing and completely shit out are completely different. I work at a parts store. You know how many times i day i have to test peoples cars because they think something is wrong for no reason?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
x2

Could you share the link for the upgraded R&R alternator?

I found this link, is it the correct one?
http://www.showmetheparts.com/bbbmobile/
Part number: 11134

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles:
- Eagles flies only with eagles!
- To reach the top you must fly with the Top!

I can't confirm if that is the correct alternator but it looks right physically. Pictures aren'talways correct though.

Will that mean it will provide more parasitic loss?

The coil has the same resistance it's just a tighter wind. 160 amp over the 120/140 amp (06 and 07 came with 120amp, 08 and 09 came with 140)

Let me know what you do for an alternator. I may need one

This is by far the cheapest I've found but they only offer up to 140amp, which I may end up going with.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/volkswagen/gti/engine_electrical/alternator.html

Yea, he said it was already failing.

What he said lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Holy crap that's a powerful alternator. Unless you had a crazy sound system I couldn't imagine needing something like that.

With the kind of power you have I really doubt you'd notice any meaningful gains from reduction in parasitic loss. And with our engines hanging completely over the axles how much of a difference will it really make to lose a couple pounds?

Just my two cents