GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

This wheel weight got stripped within 20 feet of leaving the lift.

Finally rebalanced the front wheels to make sure that things are even and the wheels stopped shimmying. Happy driving - doing a long road trip for thanksgiving going through DC, Pittsburgh, and maybe Harrisburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I couldn't stand the sound of the one-less-resonated-mk6-catback. The car sounded so raspy under load and droney at highway speeds. Pulled it off and went back to stock. Then, slapping myself because this is my "daily", I ordered a Milltek resonated catback. Cheaper now than any other time of the year I guess. It was between the Magnaflow Touring catback and Milltek. I've seen too many Magnaflow exhausts with misaligned hangers so I went with Milltek since the pricing is about the same and the quality is unmistakable.

Happy turkey day everyone.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
LOL! yea, my quote didn't work....:yikes:

Heh yea it's an awesome mod for free. But st highway speeds and full throttle it was not he sound I was looking for. Loved it at start up, under 3k etc. but hoping this resonated miller will do me right!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Milltek resonated catback. Straight forward install except for the hanger centered between the muffler / tips. For some reason that one is welded opposite the OEM placement. That means that it was a pure bitch to get it in without things going awry. Finally managed with 3 people, a lift and a mallet. Poor design but at least the placement is right.

Packaged up and ready to unwrap. Two pieces - tips and giant muffler and resonated bend pipe. Noticed that the muffler appears to have been elongated. Also the hanger on the end comes separated with slots for movement so you have to tighten properly. Will check it again tomorrow.

I really like their clamps though - low profile and easy to install. Quality of materials and welds is good if not totally clean. Fitment of tips is beautiful. Everything was easy except for the one hanger I mentioned in the beginning of this post.

Soundwise it is as expected. About the same initial sound level as stock. Deeper and throatier under load. Perfect and refined for daily driving. Definitely not thunderous and raspy like the unresonated versions. Love it so far. Videos to come when I edit later.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Slapped these into the seat lever inserts. Billet shipped from the UK off eBay for $20.

Also test fit a RCD-510 to replace my RMT300. Not sure if I'm going to do it. Looking at cheaper Android head units also. Not trying to spend more than a few hundred. If I was looking at spending 1k or so I'd definitely be getting a RNS-510 but I'd rather spend on a Haldex unit and cheap out on the head unit [emoji12]

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
RCD-510 works without any coding. Very nice. Gunna trade my RMT300 for it. Need to wire up the FM and Satellite radio antennas to make things work. Also should figure out how to make satellite work since I pay for it on the other car. Swap license.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Side note....I've noticed you've went through several sets of the Hancook's....are you really hard on them or are they really that soft.

Thinking of next summer for my MKV daily driver.......thoughts/opinions?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
R-S3's are only a 200 treadwear so they do wear quickly. Personally I wouldn't recommend them for a daily, they grip like crazy but they're loud, stiff, and very heat sensitive. They arent unbearable but unless you have grip issues or race frequently it's not worth it in my opinion. Michelin PSS are more liveable and have a higher wear rating, I got 20,000 km out of set that did four track days and 15-20 autocross events. I only have a couple thousand km on the R-S3's so far

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Side note....I've noticed you've went through several sets of the Hancook's....are you really hard on them or are they really that soft.

Thinking of next summer for my MKV daily driver.......thoughts/opinions?

I'm very hard on them. During the summer we hit drag strips almost every week, with autoX once a month and road racing sporadically. First set I got 8k mi, 2nd set barely more.

Personally I love them because of the stiff side walls which can handle hard driving. I have tried pole positions and continental DW also. I don't like 'em only because of the sidewalls and the gti had enough torque that I was blowing out 1-2-3 if I wasn't carefully accelerating from a stop. GTI dynos around 350 torque and fwd. Embarrassing to be squealing and spinning out when just trying to commute.

Definitely heat sensitive and they are sticky when hot and toss tons of pebbles against the paint also. Common complaints for these tires for sure.

I should try PSS but I've always had odd sizes so it wasn't very worth the money to me. Most people who try PSSs love em.

Continental extremeContact DW are a very highly rated "normal car" dedicated summer tire - for most people they love them. I personally don't - but on a car with less torque I think they'd be great - cheap, good on wet and hot conditions.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
You might not like the PSS with the amount of autocross and track driving you do. They don't have a stiff enough sidewall to deal with the weight imbalance of our cars. I had to run 50 psi to get anything out of them. The one time I got lazy and ran 40 psi my car would just plow straight and roll half way down the sidewall, I borrowed a compressor and took them up to 50 and it was a night and day difference. The first time I ran on R-S3's I did 35 psi and there wasn't one bit of sidewall wear. Overall grip in general is far better than the PSS too, they don't require braking at all where the PSS do.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
You might not like the PSS with the amount of autocross and track driving you do. They don't have a stiff enough sidewall to deal with the weight imbalance of our cars. I had to run 50 psi to get anything out of them. The one time I got lazy and ran 40 psi my car would just plow straight and roll half way down the sidewall, I borrowed a compressor and took them up to 50 and it was a night and day difference. The first time I ran on R-S3's I did 35 psi and there wasn't one bit of sidewall wear. Overall grip in general is far better than the PSS too, they don't require braking at all where the PSS do.

That sounds like exactly my experiences! I typically run a little higher psi when dailying - I do try to rotate rear to front to keep wear down but it's a bit of a losing battle. Wear items right...

The best situation is having multiple sets of wheels so you can swap them out with different tires. Up front cost isn't good but at least over time it evens out. I literally store my sets in the living room lol. I'll have to take a picture - entire apartment is just car parts everywhere.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
OK, cool.....didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just looking for a dedicated summer tire for next year, want to get away from the all season for spring/summer/fall.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
OK, cool.....didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just looking for a dedicated summer tire for next year, want to get away from the all season for spring/summer/fall.

I like hearing other people's comments - most of the time it's helpful.

I mostly post my activities as a log of what's happening. otherwise I'd totally forget.