GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Now I'm a guy who thinks that Te37's/Rota Grids are one of the best looking wheels on the market BUT I wouldn't go with them on a performance build based solely on weight (and strength can play a small factor). If I were in your shoes I'd grab some Enkei RPF1's and be done with it. They will have the fitment you want with the weight that you want and they are proven to last.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Now I'm a guy who thinks that Te37'sTRota Grids are one of the best looking wheels on the market BUT I wouldn't go with them on a performance build based solely on weight (and strength can play a small factor). If I were in your shoes I'd grab some Enkei RPF1's and be done with it. They will have the fitment you want with the weight that you want and they are proven to last.

I flipping love them, if I had the money I'd buy the real Te37's and be done with it. But at ~$800 a wheel I think not lol. I cant find RPF1's in 17x9/9.5 in 5x112 with at least a et of 35. I'm getting the ECS fender flares so i can run a super aggressive setup and get my grip levels up. I need a decent offset to clear the brakes and to fill in the flares. If you can find RPF1'S in the specs I need I'll get em.

Big reason I'm going with the Grids for now is I found a brand new set with the exact specs I want for $795. Just want one season till more money frees up to get some good wheels. Right now I have a car with wheels that don't fit lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well the wedding is done! It went great and without any kinks, thank god! So the next day I got myself a wedding present.

And then today we said goodbye to the marshmallow Warhammer (Buick park ave ultra) and got my wife her wedding present.

The newest addition to the family! 2014 VW Passat, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles.

Photo bucket is moving slow so I will post more pics when they upload. We now have...
VW's
1983 MK1 Rabbit convertible
2006 MKV GTI
2014 Passat SEL

Non VW
1990 Mercedes 300e
1983 Chevy K20 pickup
1998 Chevy 1500 conversion van

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the wedding and the new car, that's quite the collection of cars

Thank man! The wife is trying to get a 69 beetle as well, we are definitely a VW family lol. Once I restore the Rabbit and my daughter turns 16 we will all drive VW lol.

Edit:Wheels won't be here til next Tuesday... ugggggg I hate waiting!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Waiting for packages to arrive is like kids waiting for Christmas! I've got some things on order I'm currently waiting to arrive, so I feel ya.

live4something

Ready to race!
Thank man! The wife is trying to get a 69 beetle as well, we are definitely a VW family lol. Once I restore the Rabbit and my daughter turns 16 we will all drive VW lol.

Edit:Wheels won't be here til next Tuesday... ugggggg I hate waiting!
Get a ghia instead! Nearly identical mechanically, yet far more interesting ascetically, at least IMO. I had already paid for a stupid clean 64 Ghia before the deal fell through. It's been over a year and I'm still a little salty.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Get a ghia instead! Nearly identical mechanically, yet far more interesting ascetically, at least IMO. I had already paid for a stupid clean 64 Ghia before the deal fell through. It's been over a year and I'm still a little salty.

I agree the Ghia is way prettier but I love my Rabbits! It's convertible with leather, manual, 2.0, all the stuff I wanted for her first car lol. That really sucks by the way, how did that go down?!

On a side note, my wheels will be here tomorrow! I'm a little nervous as there is no definitive answer if these wheels will fit over 17z calipers, guess I'llfind out tomorrow. I also decided to keep my OEM Classix for the Passat summer wheels (225/35/17 vs 215/50/17 stock). Just a pinch wider and shorter sidewalls. Now I need 2 sets of tires lol.

live4something

Ready to race!
I agree the Ghia is way prettier but I love my Rabbits! It's convertible with leather, manual, 2.0, all the stuff I wanted for her first car lol. That really sucks by the way, how did that go down?!

I was buying it while I was in Italy from another American. Whenever you sell/buy a car that was registered in Europe through the Army it has to be inspected on post.

So I had looked at/driven the car multiple times before I decided to purchase. We agreed on a price and a date to go get it inspected and head to the registration office afterwards to make it official.

At the inspection it started to have some trouble running, sputtering and what not. The dumbass inspecting then proceeded to rev the dog piss out of it, certainly over revving (because no rev limiter). I the run out and tell him what a dumbass he was and asked what his logic was. It pissed him off so from that point on he looked for every little thing he could be nd wrong with a 60 year old car and failed it on the inspection.

At that point the owner said they wanted to go get everything fixed before they would be comfortable selling it. I offered to buy at a slightly discounted rate and accepting all responsibility to get it inspected again within 30 days.

They declined and said they would call me when it was fixed. About 3 months later and 1 month before I moved back to the states I got the call. By that point I had to much going on trying to get ready to leave.

Last I saw same person still has it and is still trying to sell it.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
At least you're not out any money!

Exciting day for me!

Looks a little silly without the fender flares. And I'm going to have to run a 10mm spacer making it an et of 25

This is why I have to run a spacer.

Overall I'm very impressed with the quality, only time on track will tell. Sooo glad they clear the 17z calipers but I didn't expect the clearance issue on the shock body! No way am I fitting a 265 without rubbing that shock. So 10mm spacers it is, I just don't like running that long of lug bolts, puts a lot of stress on the axle and bolts. Glad I'm getting Raxles before the season starts!

Last edited: