GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
For those of you with a lot more experience than me (donjuan, Eurocars, Erball) does this make sense to you guys?

Thats what I did. Bought a second engine, built it, swapped it in for the original engine. Alot less downtime. I have a spare FSI block if you were interested

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Thats what I did. Bought a second engine, built it, swapped it in for the original engine. Alot less downtime. I have a spare FSI block if you were interested

I may just take you up on that block!

So if we at the very least get our money back from the wedding heres where the plan sits.

ECS carbon fender flare kit
17x9/9.5 Enkie Kojin
BF Goodrich Rivals 245/40/17
Racing seats (Bride)
5pt racing harnesses
All brake stuff
Buy the last of my gauges
Install everything I have sitting and planned for this winter.

I've decided not to do SCCA this upcoming season, with my most recent mods I accidentally put myself into the super touring class and have literally zero chance there. So for this season I'm going full retard and just doing HPDE and open track days with the GTI. Want to make a no holds bar track day car and with the limits/regs of SCCA classing I can't do that. So next winter I will be turning my MK1 Rabbit into a full welded cage and gutted SCCA class specific track car.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So this happened.

for size reference.

And the test fit.

So long story short, I ended up trading he Golf R brakes before I even put fluid through them for a 17z setup. They need a little TLC, and do not fit under my OEM Classix. My wedding is next weekend and that following week I'll be ordering EBC rotors and Yellowstuff pads along with my new wheels. ECS fender flares and spacers will follow pending money. I was excited for the R brakes but decided these would suit a purpose built track car much better. Painting them in a 2 stage high gloss black with a white Brembo logo to stick with my theme.

Stay tuned, more to come shortly.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Gonna look good!!! I forgot you had this thread. Was jus going through it. Fun stuff ahead

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Oh lol, the calipers are massive, any idea how much they weigh?

The calipers are indeed massive! Weight from my research is around 9lbs, lighter than the OEM caliper. The rotors are heavier than OEM but not by that much. I will weigh the entire setup with loaded calipers once I get my new rotors and pads, to my understanding I will be reducing unsprung weight by a few lbs but rotational weight will go up by a few lbs due to the larger heavier rotor. A bit of a double edged sword but for the performance gains will be totally worth it. I am also getting lighter rims so in theory I will maintain the same rotational weight as OEM.

Can a suggest a different route for your rims? These are the ones that I'm looking at...http://enkei.com/shop/racingrevolution/rs05rr/

A slight redrill and you can run 11's

I've actually considered those but will not run an 18" rim. I want to stay with 17s, one of the biggest reasons I was looking for a 17z setup. It's hard to find a 17" wheel wider than 8.5 with the correct offset I'm looking for. Aside from real Volks there's not much out there and what is tends to be waaay out of my price range.

Edit: Just realized I haven't posted the new wheel choice. Enkie Kojin are in second place right now, found 17x9 et35 57.1 Rota Grids. I'm sure this will bring out the haters but I like them, have the perfect fitment I'm looking for and if they explode so be it.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
The calipers are indeed massive! Weight from my research is around 9lbs, lighter than the OEM caliper. The rotors are heavier than OEM but not by that much. I will weigh the entire setup with loaded calipers once I get my new rotors and pads, to my understanding I will be reducing unsprung weight by a few lbs but rotational weight will go up by a few lbs due to the larger heavier rotor. A bit of a double edged sword but for the performance gains will be totally worth it. I am also getting lighter rims so in theory I will maintain the same rotational weight as OEM.

It's amazing how heavy the OEM calipers are. I was shocked when I measured the calipers that came off my car. They were literally twice the weight of the big ones.

Some extra weight in the rotors is worth the trade-off for heat capacity. One of my friends did the Mosport Driver Development Track in his BRZ on stock brakes and they hit 350 Celsius, mine don't even top 100 Celsius. I could literally lap all day long and the brakes would be fine.

I'd go with the Enkei's, a broken wheel at the track could be a minor thing or it could kill you, not worth the risk.