GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

checked cam follower after 10k

Duster117

Ready to race!
About 10k miles ago I had the cam and cam follower replaced at the dealer under warranty.
The follower on the left is the one that was in it when I took it in.
It had about 8k on it (with a worn cam). The one on the right is the newer one with new cam at 10k. WTF!!!!!! Im very disappointed.

Duster117

Ready to race!
The pic makes the newer one look much worse than it is.
I can tell the older one has much more concentrated wear in the center.
The newer one is more flat wear.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah it is the low point of the FSI motor but the good news is that you are on top of it. There is, or will be, if you are going to keep the car long term, a solution. You will be able to convert it to a roller unit like like the TSI motor. It probably won't be cheap but for those of us keeping the car long term it will be the way to go if you don't want to keep changing the follower periodically.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Yeah it is the low point of the FSI motor but the good news is that you are on top of it. There is, or will be, if you are going to keep the car long term, a solution. You will be able to convert it to a roller unit like like the TSI motor. It probably won't be cheap but for those of us keeping the car long term it will be the way to go if you don't want to keep changing the follower periodically.

I hope there is a less expensive solution in the works than the h2sport one ($500)
I can buy a lot of followers for that!! I drive 30k+ miles a year so its pretty often, but still I can get them for $35 shipped.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Yes, you could change the follower with every other oil change. You would need to put about 150,000 more miles on the car to come out ahead.

I plan on it. My last car was still going strong at over 320k mi.
And I know JetTurbo has well over 250k on his mkv. I was just hoping they would last more like 30k mi instead of 10k

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I may keep mine for a while longer too. This is the first car I've still liked after putting 100K on it.

I replaced my CF at around 90K but it only had some minor wear on it. I haven't checked it yet but I've put about 15K on it since. Of course I go flashed at the same time and my driving habits have since changed.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I hope there is a less expensive solution in the works than the h2sport one ($500)
I can buy a lot of followers for that!! I drive 30k+ miles a year so its pretty often, but still I can get them for $35 shipped.

H2Sport is no longer available. Right now there is not a choice but to change followers. INA Engineering indicated they might provide a solution. It won't be cheaper. Engineering of this type does not come cheap because it is custom low quantity and requires a fair amount of work on the manufacturing end etc. If it is about money then changing followers is the best way to go. I would keep a heli-coil kit on hand (I do) as the threads can strip. Even torquing them carefully they can give way after repeated use.

Eurocars also has a stud kit you can buy that will help protect against that for 35.00.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Im at stage 2 but I dont drive aggressively much. that's another reason why I'm surprised that wore out so fast

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Op that isn't typical for stage 2, I had that center dot on both my followers after 10k at stage 2. That much wear is not usual especially with the newer type cam.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Op that isn't typical for stage 2, I had that center dot on both my followers after 10k at stage 2. That much wear is not usual especially with the newer type cam.

I figured that. I dont know what to do now. I just ordered a new one, ill put it in as soo as it gets here. Until then I had to put it back in.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Which oil are you running. I use rotella and my cf wears pretty good

Sent from my flip phone
Just started using rotella t6 last oil change. So about half of this cfs life was with rotella