GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got pulled over for Modified Exhaust? VC 27151

This only applies to those in California. Check your Vehicle Code for your state if the same rules apply. I am not held liable if the information here does not work for you. Worked for me though!

So here is the story. In my Accord I was pulled over for ONLY my exhaust. He gives me the ticket and I take off. I notice later that he didn't mark it as a fixit! BITCH! So, I have to pay the fine no matter what. Well I did some research and came across this info.

First the basics:
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

So what does this all mean? You CAN have a modified exhaust, just as long as it doesn't exceed 95db. Well the cops don't normally know this; they just assume Modified Exhaust = ILLEGAL :mad: WRONG!

So I found some more information about this and read some more on the Vehicle Code. You can get it tested to see if you exceed 95db. YOU CAN ONLY GET IT TESTED IF YOU GET A TICKET FOR VC 27151. If you are tested and pass, you will receive a Certificate of Compliance that will last for 1 year. This is a good thing, so if you are pulled over again, you have evidence your exhaust is legal. Also, make sure that the office marks it as a fix it. Mine didn't and I have to go to court and plead not guilty.

By the way, the testing is FREE! (As of the moment) They do change the price occasionaly, but I was lucky and got in at the time it was free. Even if there is a charge, it's better than getting a new exhaust system! Here is more information about the matter.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/noise91503.pdf

kuhla

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2000 Ford Ranger XL
Somewhat off-topic but for more laws that govern modifying your car legal vs illegal in the state of CA, head to the CHP "Street Legal" website -> http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

..now back on topic..

How loud is your exhaust system?!? :confused: At least in my area (southern ca) the only people I have seen/heard to be pulled over because of their exhaust have been had really loud......

I too am in SoCal, and my exhaust is not loud at all. I tested at 88.4db. Stock is 84db. Think that's loud? I wasn't even driving fast. He wrote on the ticket, Modified Exhaust as the citation. Not, Excessive Noise from Exhasut.

YenPxxx

Drag Racing Champion
Hey what exhaust system do you have on your GTI that you got pulled over for? Starting to research aftermarket exhausts even tho I don't have my car yet :biggrin:

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Does the exhaust have a CARB number anywhere on it? If it does the ticket will go away if it doesn't, sorry. In Cali anything that is exhaust related must be CARB expemt. Check it out.

By the way, an update. I had the court hearing and WON. Well duh! I had proof I wasn't illegal. The officer talked to me afterward and told me how impressed he was that I went and got it tested and went to court for it.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
tell me this doesnt apply in england... please...

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Kinda off topic...but I saw that golf in you sig last month at a rally event. Nice car. Now on topic. I have pretty much vowed to not move to CA because of thier insane aproach at stret racing. I am not a street racer but would be harrased simply because I mod my car. I could be 85 and I would still get pulled over in CA because of mods. This is spreading through out the U.S. so now even the mid west is not safe from harrasment. I used to get a gut ache whenever I drove by a cop in my civic. Was I doing anything wrong...nope just driving a nicely modded car. To the cop...black modded civic means street racer. This mentality by the cops has got to end. I am 32 with three kids. Both my wife and I used to get pulled over for stupid things while the kids were in the car. I never got a ticket for anything because they couldn't find anything....they were just assuming when they saw us we were some young punk. My kids now do not respect cops to the extent that they should. Do all police do this? No, but my kids think so because of the idiot police and the idiot drivers out there. Sorry for the rant. I am glad you beat the ticket.