GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gas going up to $4.00/gallon!

bilbos

On the Kop
earthtoandy said:
Something really needs to be done about this crap. When an oil company nets 100 billion in a quarter with 10 billion of that being profit, in ONE quarter.... there is something seriously wrong. Gas is a nessecity of our civilization and the fact it goes unchecked as it does is ridiculous

It is a necessity, but one that is an unhealthy reliance. More money should be spent on research into alternatives.

Why the fact that Iran is trying to produce enriched uranium, is impacting on oil prices now, I just cannot understand. I know why, because the analysts are thinking too far ahead about the possible ramifications of a military strike on a country that is the 4th largest producer of crude.

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
oh its all a game. what story can we make up to drive the prices up....

I agree we need to get rid of oil as soon as possib le. and the lack of development there is sickening. But at this point we as citizens have no choice. And the fact that these companies go unchecked with their 10 billion in profit is very concerning. The government looks out for me with electricity rates, not allowing the companies to just raise rates as they wish. I see the oil companies as no different. With our income not rising and fuel shooting off we could see real bad effects to our economy

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Those who complain should contact state & federal legislators. Or better yet, purchase some stock in oil companies (they are making huge profits off us).

Best thing to do:
Just keep your car in tune, use great quality synthetic oil ("some" will increase MPG by as much as 8% --- over time at these prices it can really make a difference in your wallet), use a quality fuel system cleaner, and check tire inflation too.

And those thinking that Hybrid is the way to go... several things to consider: (1) more up front cost (2) After the warranty is up and your hybrid battery goes, it can cost as much as $5,000 or more (depending on supply) to replace the battery, that's not including labor cost too.

Map Quest has a hybrid banner and it asks you to click in and compare how much you would have saved driving a Hybrid... not much.

Funny thing is people are so focused on the new car technology (Hybrid) that they forget the VW Diesel which has been out for awhile gets upwards of 50MPG and there are owners that have hit the 60 MPG level too!

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
bilbos said:
It is a necessity, but one that is an unhealthy reliance. More money should be spent on research into alternatives.

+2

Just think about the amount of research that could be funded by 10 billion dollars. Sadly, the only research the oil companies are likely to do is find new ways to drain every last drop of oil from the ground.

I just hope we don't elect another short-sighted president in the US. This nation used to be able to do great things when we had great leaders with vision.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i think we're making decent progress in alternative fuels. the new hybrids may not be great, but its encouraging that some of the cutting edge car companies are actually trying. they'll no doubt get better and better.

if you're hoping for a breakthrough technology like hydrogen power or the like, it may be a while. i'm sure there are people working on it, but its not like just throwing money at the problem is going to magically solve the problem. trying to make things like cold fusion and hydrogen power are huge undertakings, it will simply take time, and it WILL just be a matter of time before they come up with a material or process breakthrough. nuclear power, the gasoline engine, and the steam engine, wasn't invented overnight, and neither will these technologies.

of course i'm sure i'm stating the obvious here, but the problem with developing these technologies is that they require capital, with very little short term return on the investment. what profit-making company is going to do that? companies are formed to make money, pure and simple. until we become a communist state, its going to stay that way.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
I think gas prices are NOT high enough in the U.S. (#1 gas comsuming coutry). When it reaches a significantly high price for a gallon of gas, people with SUV's or other types of gas guzzling vehicles will start trading down to a better milage vehicle or it will push government to speed up their effort in coming up with a replacement for fuel. About the insane profits oil companies are making, governments should create a law where they sould use a % of their profit in research and technology for other source of fuel.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I have to laugh at everyone getting all worked up over the price of gas here in the US. You do realize that we have some of the cheapest gas prices in the world, right? The amount of government support to the oil industry in this country is approaching criminal IMHO. I'd be happy to see gas go to 10$ per gallon. Maybe then people would start to evaluate the importance of having a Hummer that gets 12 miles/gallon. Most people in this country could use a little more exercise anyway. We're the fatest, most gluttonous, most wasteful people in the world...it's no wonder half the world hates us.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
A41.8QTM said:
I have to laugh at everyone getting all worked up over the price of gas here in the US. You do realize that we have some of the cheapest gas prices in the world, right? The amount of government support to the oil industry in this country is approaching criminal IMHO. I'd be happy to see gas go to 10$ per gallon. Maybe then people would start to evaluate the importance of having a Hummer that gets 12 miles/gallon. Most people in this country could use a little more exercise anyway. We're the fatest, most gluttonous, most wasteful people in the world...it's no wonder half the world hates us.

well i cant speak for everyone, but i did already say that in post #7...everything you said is completely true, but i suppose ignorance is bliss...

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
andrewt said:
i think we're making decent progress in alternative fuels. the new hybrids may not be great, but its encouraging that some of the cutting edge car companies are actually trying. they'll no doubt get better and better.

if you're hoping for a breakthrough technology like hydrogen power or the like, it may be a while. i'm sure there are people working on it, but its not like just throwing money at the problem is going to magically solve the problem. trying to make things like cold fusion and hydrogen power are huge undertakings, it will simply take time, and it WILL just be a matter of time before they come up with a material or process breakthrough. nuclear power, the gasoline engine, and the steam engine, wasn't invented overnight, and neither will these technologies.

of course i'm sure i'm stating the obvious here, but the problem with developing these technologies is that they require capital, with very little short term return on the investment. what profit-making company is going to do that? companies are formed to make money, pure and simple. until we become a communist state, its going to stay that way.

No doubt these things are big problems, but nothing will ever get done until significant resources are applied. We have to start somewhere and given the long time it takes to develop various technologies, we'd better start soon.

Given the global impact and massive size of the problem, we can't leave it up to private business to solve the problem. Nations will have to come together for the common good...damn, we're screwed. :drinking:

andrewt

Autocross Champion
Teknophreak said:
Given the global impact and massive size of the problem, we can't leave it up to private business to solve the problem. Nations will have to come together for the common good...damn, we're screwed. :drinking:

i agree. i dont think private companies are going to be willing to sink the capital required into producing alternative fuel methods, especially not when there's supposed to be enough oil for 80 years or something like that.

i dont know how much our country is giving out in terms of research grants for stuff like this. does anyone have a ballpark figure?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
andrewt said:
i agree. i dont think private companies are going to be willing to sink the capital required into producing alternative fuel methods, especially not when there's supposed to be enough oil for 80 years or something like that.

i dont know how much our country is giving out in terms of research grants for stuff like this. does anyone have a ballpark figure?

i agree with you...and holdling price for oil aside, we will be able to get by until that new breakthough makes into everyday use. the only thing you are off on is how much oil is left...with the supplies all over the world and the technolgy we have right now to extract oil, there is only about 40 years worth of oil left. if the technology can improve so we can get more oil out of the existing sites (because when oil is found, not nearly all of it can be extracted with existing techonology) then it may be longer, but hopefully 40 years will be enough for our new energy source to become the norm.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
It all boils down to politicians who has the balls to stand up to the big oil companies who has a monopoly on the oil industry. Haven't seen one yet, only ones that bow down. Pardon my bitterness.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
VDUBB said:
It all boils down to politicians who has the balls to stand up to the big oil companies who has a monopoly on the oil industry. Haven't seen one yet, only ones that bow down. Pardon my bitterness.

you have every right to be bitter on the subject because you are exactly right...politicians suck.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
thank God and yes for Mexico, yes, yes, yes¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡. Its time for US to pay a reasonable price for the Petrol¡¡¡¡¡

I´m sorry if many dont like my point of view, and after all, we all drive a good MPG Car, sorry for all the SUV owner´s, now they will pay what they should many years ago¡¡¡¡¡

Sorry.

Ricardo

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Last I heard we still will have about 20-25 years of petroleum. All I can say is get used to paying European prices, or get a good Schwinn.