GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gutted

steve-d

Go Kart Champion
I have been observing the forum for the last few weeks, and I think it is great.
I have not long had my Golf GTI (55 plate) this is a 6 speed, winter pack and 18" Monza alloys. I bought the car quite quickly and foolishly didn't look into all the models. I think now i am missing out by not purchasing the DSG.

I would have liked the leather seats but am not too bothered. I am also dissappointed i didn't get the sat nav and am hoping to still install this if I can.

Just really a hello message and just somewhere to releave my anger but having said that the Golf is great.

carrollmark

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Ive a thread running here wondering if its possible to retro fit the satnav.

Dunno if it is

Do u know if the satnav has a tv?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
carrollmark said:
Hi

Ive a thread running here wondering if its possible to retro fit the satnav.

Dunno if it is

Do u know if the satnav has a tv?

satnav retrofit is possible and not too hard (.5-1 hour job), and it's got an A/V and an AUX connector but you'll have to buy your own TV tuner and fit it.

steve-d

Go Kart Champion
I am going to put in a car PC into mine i think, as i will be able to add tv tuner, dvd, internet etc.

Does anyone know what happens with the tv, where do i need to have an Ariel as i don't want a huge thing on the outside. Having said that BMW do it without big ariels.

Confused any ideas??

Das_Meister

Go Kart Newbie
steve-d, thanks for letting us know about regretting not buying the DSG. Many of us here are still debating wether to get one or not.

May I ask why do you regret not getting it?

cmdrfire

carrollmark said:
Excellent!

Any idea of the cost of the TV tuner and how and where its mounted?

I think you can get a digital TV tuner for maybe US$150 or so (UK£100?). If you're in Europe and you've got access, I definitely recommend getting a digital tuner, much better quality. It's best to mount it in the boot, and it's simply a matter of connecting it to the A/V connector on the MFD2.

As to DSG - it rocks, once you get used to it it becomes far more fun than a manual box.
I posted this on the ukmkvs.net forums regarding the DSG:

The 6 speed manual box for the GTI is absolutely beautiful...
But I love the DSG. If anything, I'd say it gives me even more control over my gearchanges, throw it into manual mode and the precision and crispness of the gearchange simply cannot be paralleled by the manual box.
If all you've done is driven the car around mostly on "D" or "S" and just messed with the paddles every now and then, I can see your point
[that DSG is "just" an automatic box] (and in "D", the car automatically upshifts at 6500RPM - not thrilling).
However, throw it into S (or even better, manual mode) and there's none of that, gear changes whenever you want them right up to the limiter (which is at 7200RPM), and the box really goes into its own. That's when you can feel the difference, the precision and the speed of the DSG box - up until that moment, all you've felt is that it's "just" another auto box.

Passionate about DSG? Just a bit... if it's good enough for the Veyron and the 998 Turbo (sssh I didn't say that) then it's good enough for me

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
In the early days (early 2005) lots of customers had trouble with their DSG box. Guess there's more to go wrong than the manual, but saying that my 6 speeder has exhibited a pulsating feeling when pulling away in first/reverse. Bit wierd, but I'm told not serious.

Tell me, I assume an auto has a clutch just like a manual to shift gears whilst the drivetrain is disconnected, yes? If so, then does the DSG have two clutches? How much would it cost to replace them, as I'd guess they replace both? Could be quite expensive if the DSG fails, but I kinda regret not being able to afford the £1300 extra either.

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Oh and as for Satnav, just get yourself a TomTom One. Nice new slim version of the TomTom Go, which I can chop and change between whichever car I'm in. It has an excellent windscreen* suction cup, hands-free dialling built-in (if you have a bluetooth phone) and you can download free speed camera GPS locations onto it, so the TomTom warns you as you approach either a known fixed location, or a notorious mobile location. I luv the TomTom Go, but the TomTom One is even slimmer. Well recommended. I don't work for TomTom, btw! :biggrin:

* the Golf's windscreen does not affect the GPS signal in my experience.

cmdrfire

ChalkyWhite said:
In the early days (early 2005) lots of customers had trouble with their DSG box. Guess there's more to go wrong than the manual, but saying that my 6 speeder has exhibited a pulsating feeling when pulling away in first/reverse. Bit wierd, but I'm told not serious.

Tell me, I assume an auto has a clutch just like a manual to shift gears whilst the drivetrain is disconnected, yes? If so, then does the DSG have two clutches? How much would it cost to replace them, as I'd guess they replace both? Could be quite expensive if the DSG fails, but I kinda regret not being able to afford the £1300 extra either.

Had zero trouble with my DSG box in over a year, and it's one of the first ones off the production line (built 2nd Jan, 2005...)
The DSG has got two clutches, one for the odd gears (so 1, 3, 5) and one for the even gears (2, 4, 6); this is the party trick of the DSG, and why it's so much better than any other automatic-sequential gearbox. There's no lag when I change gears.
I don't know how expensive it would be to fix - I've had nothing but joy from mine (touch wood!). Presumably, if the repair was down out of warranty it would be quite expensive since the entire clutch assembly would need to be replaced as you correctly guess. Next time I'm over at my local VW I'll ask my friend to see if he can get me a price estimate, I'll probably head down sometime in the next week.

EDIT - you're right about the windscreen not affecting GPS as well, I've got a New Road Angel in my car (what a stupid name for a product... "New" Road Angel? Glad they went to RA2 for the actual "new" one) and I don't need the external attenna. Works fine through the 'screen.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
Not as retarded as that avatar pic of yours thats for sure.

So i accidentally made some unwanted changes to my show threads option, calm the fuck down. :cool: