GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

zrickety 2009 GTI bolt-on thread

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Here is it in September 2012 at 45k fresh from Florida. It was a one owner lease only driven for 2 years according to carfax.

Interior

I was immediately pulled over for the dark tint, so that had to go.

Played with a VTA PCV bypass, this was a bad idea and I reverted to stock.

This car was to replace a not-so-family-friendly restomod crx. Adios amigo.

My next mods were a curt hitch and a bike rack.

Then I got in on the HPA groupbuy to stiffen up the car.

I went APR stage 1 around 60k and put Mobil 1 gear oil in the transmission. Misc mods at that time:
Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe TOP
Throttle pipe and noise maker delete
K&N 57i airbox with velocity stack

Time to transform cheap A4 wheels into autox fun.

I sold the crx and wanted something tangible to show for it. How about lightweight wheels? Rotary forged TSW Interlagos in 18x8 et45, 18 lbs. It was black or mirror face, so I painted them a tribute color. Honda polished metal metallic.

Got in on a Unibrace groupbuy.

Wife had the car and hit a deer. So I tried a Depo headlight.

July 2014 we sold our Mini Cooper and picked up a K04 car for my wife's daily.

How it sits today.

Back to my car, Whiteline bushings to tighten up the front.

Thermostat failed at 105k, so I decided to swap the whole water pump.

Slammer shift knob is heavy, but shifting hasn't changed much.

Half price wheels this time, thanks to the forums. Stock suspension will be replaced soon.

Dash cubby and bluetooth radio go a long way. Just a tick over 107k.

Most recently the UB. This was not very noticeable but I have already done so much stiffening.

I've got lots more to do. Aside from stretch bolts, I love this car.
Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Nice progress so far! What are the plans for the future? My car is nearly identical but mine has interlagos cloth interior and a sunroof.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks, I see you have a nice collection of cars!
I have some parts, I'm just waiting to get time in the garage. Next up will probably be the clutch and I want to change the timing chain tensioner. Latest revision for that, and clutchmasters fx350 with SMF. Then it's suspension. Used DG springs and Bilstein shocks as I think the stock shocks are gone at this mileage. I have new hardware and TT mounts to put in with them. Also picked up aluminum passat arms and spindles. Eibach sways. It should be quite an improvement. Trying to balance performance and keeping the car family friendly.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Washed off a sea of pollen today.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Keep up the good work! I love the focus on suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks! I'm all about function :thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I found one that fit over the pcv. Just a standard heater hose I think, I'll get you the measurement tomorrow.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Playing with the badgeless grille again, this time color matched to the wheels. I'm torn about the hood notch, I have a vinyl trim piece from Home Depot covering it but I think I'm going to get another stock grille to paint.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wife needed tires and stole my wheels again. Picked up a decent replica grille, and color matched the wheels with a nickel stripe. Did my front brakes last week, centric rotors and hawk pads. Going to tackle the ABS pump again and do the rears this weekend.

Edit- pics of my shift emblem mod

Last edited:

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Back to my car, Whiteline bushings to tighten up the front.

Are these the bushing located towards the front of the car on the lower control arm? If so, why are these black? I bought a set like 3-4 years ago but they're yellow and I never got around to installing them. If these are the ones I have, did you need a press to press the new bushing in? Also would you say this was a noticeable upgrade?

Thanks! And keep up the awesome process.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Oh yes, it was hugely noticed. I believe the black are similar to the old yellow ones. I did press out the old ones but in retrospect probably could have cut them out. Just plastic and rubber. The new ones are slip fit and go in by hand. Really makes the car grip the road, I would compare it to good traction bar on a honda.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Oh yes, it was hugely noticed. I believe the black are similar to the old yellow ones. I did press out the old ones but in retrospect probably could have cut them out. Just plastic and rubber. The new ones are slip fit and go in by hand. Really makes the car grip the road, I would compare it to good traction bar on a honda.

Alright good to know, mine are shot and I was going to order a set. Luckily I found a set I ordered 3 years ago and forgot to install lol. Doing it sometime next week :thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Did the rear centric rotors and hawk pads recently.

Touched up some paint chips on the wheels and made it to SOWO. I camped at Unicoi and parked in a free lot at the show.

Came home with a souvenir german plate, a bargain downpipe and used HKS catback.
While people were driving home on Sunday, I was removing the hitch and installing exhaust.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Came home with a souvenir german plate, a bargain downpipe and used HKS catback.

Also picked up a europlate as a souvenir. That exhaust is really interesting. I don't know if I've seen something like that before with the chamber coming out the side. I've been in the market for either just tips or the suitcase delete piping.