GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Xenon Headlight flickering and turning off

So a few months ago I bought a used headlight because my car was hit and the mounts snapped. The guy who sold it to me said that it would flicker and turn off while driving due to a bad ballast. I changed the ballast with the good one from my old headlight but the flickering is still happening and getting worse (usually the headlight just turns off within 2 minutes of driving). The bulbs are new and the igniter is good as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a wiring issue? I just want to get some more info before I take it to a shop so I have a better understanding of what's wrong and how much it'll cost.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, people have experienced it(flickers and turns off temporarily) but the issue differs with each. Generally, it was the bulbs not installed correctly when secured into place, or wiring to the bulb, ballast, and headlight assembly connections. You say the bulbs are replaced, so; first recheck they are properly in place and the ring is secure. Then, you may need to check the connection of the harness/loom to the headlight bulb, ballast, and underneath to the assembly itself. Try giving those two a slight shake or a tap to recreate what you are seeing.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So a few months ago I bought a used headlight because my car was hit and the mounts snapped. The guy who sold it to me said that it would flicker and turn off while driving due to a bad ballast. I changed the ballast with the good one from my old headlight but the flickering is still happening and getting worse (usually the headlight just turns off within 2 minutes of driving). The bulbs are new and the igniter is good as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a wiring issue? I just want to get some more info before I take it to a shop so I have a better understanding of what's wrong and how much it'll cost.

Find someone that has Vcds or equivalent and scan the car and see if you have any codes in 09 & 55

VW does sell a kit to replace the mounting tabs when they snap about $25-30

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Find someone that has Vcds or equivalent and scan the car and see if you have any codes in 09 & 55

VW does sell a kit to replace the mounting tabs when they snap about $25-30
Thanks, sadly I don't have the old housing anymore and I didn't know they had a kit until a few weeks after. I'll try getting it scanned. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, people have experienced it(flickers and turns off temporarily) but the issue differs with each. Generally, it was the bulbs not installed correctly when secured into place, or wiring to the bulb, ballast, and headlight assembly connections. You say the bulbs are replaced, so; first recheck they are properly in place and the ring is secure. Then, you may need to check the connection of the harness/loom to the headlight bulb, ballast, and underneath to the assembly itself. Try giving those two a slight shake or a tap to recreate what you are seeing.
Thanks I'll take a look to make sure the bulbs are fit in properly and take a look at the connections. Thanks for your reply!