GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB: Help needed to purchase wireless charging setup for RHD GolF 7.5

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I'm wondering if someone (probably in England) who has a Golf 7.5 with factory wireless charging can help me purchase the same via your nearby dealership?

Golf's still don't come with wireless charging in Australia, which is a bit of a bummer.

To have the factory wireless charger I need the centre console cubby that supports the charger. Online I can find the charger and many sellers have the cubby for LHD cars.

If your up for it, I'd like you to order the setup from VW using your VIN, so they get the correct part numbers, and send it to me and I'll work out how to install it.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anybody willing to help out?

The device I've been waiting on to make wireless charging useful is almost ready and can be ordered here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

I've been following the development of the app version for a couple of years and now we are finally close to a nice hardware solution for all.

That's very interesting. I saw the app quite some time ago and tried it out with an older android phone I had, but it was very clunky to use. Every time you got in your car, you had to turn on wifi tethering on your main phone. It was slow and laggy. I might revisit it and try it out again.

That stand alone hardware solution looks nice, but they have very lofty goals it looks like, and I see them having a hard time meeting them. But will still probably toss in the $55 and see where it goes.

Edit: Whelp, I was completely wrong about their goals. Almost 80% after two days. Reading through the thread on XDA, looks like the clunkiness of wireless tethering went away with Android 9.

Last edited:

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
I saw someone retrofit the VW OEM charger but it heats up phone to much, and the charging is extremely slow. Like all the wireless chargers. If you are driving for like 30min. the phone gets 4-5% charge. It wanted to put it in my car , but the heating issue and the slow charging was a letdown..

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Oooh, that is not good, I was hoping the OEM solution was both elegant and functional. I may look at arranging a charging holder that is out of the way. Thanks for the info.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Thanks for the ideas. I had already seen and discounted the D-dock, it's way expensive to get that into Australia, and someone with a slightly smaller phone reports that it does work ok on their Golf here.

I have had the second, grabcad link, built and it does work but only once my gear lever is out of park, there is nowhere near enough room to remove or install the phone if the car is in park, so I have not been using it.

The last one looks too cheap, I like function, but it needs to look decent, so I was hoping that the OEM solution would provide the way.

I'll keep thinking about but in the meantime I have finally ordered the Brodit holder for my car and I already have the other parts needed from my previous car, except I won't be using the USB port, I will need it for Android Auto, and it's also too far away, I got the holder that goes on the vent by the drivers door, so I will have to get a cable modified to power up my charging holder from the fuse box. Until then it's just a holder.

So at least when I get the wireless AA box I should have somethign in place.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
I mean if you get it 3D printed.. you can make it as you like if you put some time into it. I had 3D printed gauge vent on Mk5. And it look like te OEM. Yes those pictures look bad... It was just a general idea. Android auto will not charge the dock anyway...
What i am thinking is to do it like this.
1. You make some Dock that looks decent.
2. You put wires behind the console under the middle console and tap it to the 12v plug(cigarete lighter).
So you wont have any annoying cables,and you will have free android auto port, and free 12v plug.

Yes i have the same problem when i am in park a cannot take my phone out...
hope you find out something that works for you

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
It's the lack of space when the car is not in Drive that is the real problem for my phone in this car, and my phone isn't going to get smaller. It's a Galaxy s20+. I have given up on the docks, and the OEM solution would be fine, I can slip my phone in there sideways and place it in the cubby, but I can't put it into a dock.

I'll go with the charging holder I have used before and get it hard wired in at it's new location.