GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB - 18" OEM alloys & tyres (or PM w. advice re 17s)

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Hi, I'm seeking 18" alloys and tyres (preferably OEM so my insurance accounts for these as options rather than mods). Does anyone have recommendations on where to source OEM wheels at better than 'new' prices?

Anyone with Jetta / Golf / Passat 18" gear you'd like to sell or trade, please let me know!

Failing the 18s, how about the 17" Classixs? How about these Passat/Polo 17s?
Anyone upgraded and have a set lying around? Where do these rims end up?

[Presumably, everyone trading R32->S3 is keeping their OEM wheels - but let me know if you have a lead. I am just checking eBay at present.]

Thanks,
Bizi
(PS. PMs with advice to this newbie re. accompanying lowering springs etc recommended are appreciated! I don't think R32 springs would suit MkV TDIs but let me know if this works.)

Pls PM me if you have any other upgrade gear to suit my Jetta TDI, thanks!

benno

AU section: 1 man band
Mate I will have some Classix available soon. With rubber. But I'm in Brissy and shipping is a pain...

Lowering: from what I can see Eibach are a good bet, and are at least usable with stock shocks. I think they have TDI specific ones.

isaw

Banned
I have eibach springs, and honestly if you drive it hard alot dont get progressive springs.

The springs make it sit nice n low, but the bounce and lag on turnin (then over turn in once the springs compress) requires a few adjustments when cornering. there are some springs out there that aren't progressive.

also check redline-motorworks as they have a good catalog of parts that are suitable to the jetta/mkv, and the suspension section is good.

benno

I couldn't see any TDI gear on the Redline site though. From my limited amount of reading, it seems TDI's are heavier at the front and have specific springs. In Aus, Eibach seems like one of the only players, although KW also do some but I haven't seen them available here.

Or you can get coilovers for serious dough.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Do the standard Jettas with Classixs have a sports suspension or just the standard height? I've seen a few FSI Jettas with them on carsales.
For distance driving I'd rather have suitable gear and maybe 18s & 40 series tyres aren't right for that.

Thanks!

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Thanks faisan, though the TFSI springs would not suit TDI models as much as GT springs might. Did the TFSI have the same or different suspension settings to the GTI - or different from the GT?

Thanks again everyone. I've noticed a couple of sets of 18s (and Classixs, plus RCD300 MP3 stereos!) on eBay but prices are much higher than those offered on the forums.

I'd like to find a thread herediscussing the benefits/drawbacks of 17s v 18s for long distance driving.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

Bizi

GTI_racer

Grand Tourer Injection
Car(s)
MY07 GTI
From my experience the GTI is stiffer sprung than the Jetta TFSI,
IMO the TFSI is approximately equivalent to the GT suspension, so perhaps the GT TDI springs / shocks is what you are after

isaw

Banned
I'd like to find a thread herediscussing the benefits/drawbacks of 17s v 18s for long distance driving.

Bizi

17's: more side wall, so not as sharp of a jolt when u hit a pothole as the tire picks up some of the brunt.
cheaper than 18's

18's: looks
somewhat less flex/roll when cornering hard, but negligible in reality.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Thanks for these tips. :)

Benough, you might be the best person to ask the TDI-related Qs and anyone else with a TDI... what springs would be the best options for a TDI? I am a bit concerned that FSI/TFSI might not suit... if the TFSI would work OK with the TDI's heavier engine I'd be interested. :)

PS. some great resources here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/
e.g. pics and info on TDIs:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/jettagolfchecklist2.htm

Wheels spec overview for OEM VW & Audi: I'm finding it v. useful in looking for alterntive OEM 17-18s
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/wheels/wheels_overview.htm

benno

Mate I'm benno - benough is the other guy with a GT TDI :p
(no, really, he is)

Springs: you need springs that are rated for your vehicles front axle weight, which is higher than a petrol version. I think the diesel MKVs are about 1100kg on the front axle. It seems that some springs for petrol cars are still rated for the diesels anyway though.

I'm guessing the Jetta uses the same hardware, but I'm not 100%. Front axle weight should be the same as a golf, not sure about the rear.

This shop in the UK has a decent list of springs available for the TDI, but I've only seen the Eibachs in Australia. The KW (20mm) and Eibach springs should be compatible with stock dampers but for best performance you'd want to upgrade the dampers.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Thanks Benno (and benough)... so both of you and other TDI Mk V owners are still using the standard factory springs - or Eibachs?

Has anyone upgraded a Golf Comfortline or a Jetta (I think they use the same std suspension/spring tune) to 18s and then used some lower sports springs with the standard dampers?

Thanks - and am on the trail of 18s... what are the OEM tyres, Pirelli?
IS the Motor thread the best local source on the respective qualities in 18" tyres in the market in '09?

Anyone have some 18" tyres they want to get rid of? The 18s I have in mind have no tyres and I think I should just try 18s before I commit to a brand new set, in case 18s are unsuitable.

[Too bad these won't fit: 18s w. tyres for $500 :)]
Thanks!

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
WTB/get prices on RS4 reps or similar - or let me know a good source.
These seem to be much more plentiful than other styles.

Does anyone have a set of 18" wheel in Sydney they are keen to sell?

Thanks again... all suggestions are appreciated. :)

sikx5

Ready to race!
Will have my OEM 18" Zolders up for sale soon if you're interested. Just waiting on my new rims to arrive, should be here within 2 weeks im hoping now...