GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wow, Stage 2+ is amazing! (with some pics)

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Wow, Stage 2+ is amazing! (with more pics)

I just got my car back from the shop. It has a Eurojet R32 style TBE, APR HPFP, and a Unitronic Stage 2+ flash. The car pulls very hard in every gear and higher RPMs aren't that bad now considering the car would really die off in the 6000 RPM range before Stage 2+. The power delivery is incredibly smooth; it seems much smoother than Stage 1 which is actually pretty nice. Overall I am loving it a LOT!

My cam follower was starting to show signs of wear. The black diamond coating had a small circle in the middle so I got it replaced. Only mod until now was Stage 1.

The only issue is that with the EJ TBE, the exhaust tips stick out about an inch. The tech tried to shove the exhaust pieces as closely together as possible but he said that was the best he could do. Anybody have an idea what I could get done to have the exhaust tips as flush with the bumper as possible or will I have to get it trimmed at an exhaust shop?

Pics will come once I wash my car.

Video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5QftjkluQ

Last edited:

zooplancton

perma-grinnin'
shit, i'm still pooping my pants from a stage 1 re-flash. couldn't imagine a stage 2 with all the garb. nice to hear!

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
The jump from Stage 1 to Stage 2+ isn't as "violent" as stock to Stage 1, but you know the power is there and it is way more satisfying especially since the car doesn't die down at high RPMs! It just keeps pulling and pulling and it pulls hard. I really enjoy how smooth the car is now; the ride is much, much, much better.

goldn

capt. no dub
Car(s)
E91
i'm assuming the fuel pump makes a big difference too.

all that go... now you need a little low.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
The fuel pump makes a BIG difference.

Next big mods are definitely a new suspension and an RSB. I was originally looking at an H&R Sport Cup kit but I am sort of leaning towards coilovers so I can raise the height for the winter. Have any suggestions?

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Here is a teaser shot. I haven't washed my car yet and it might rain tomorrow so I'll save the pics for the weekend! Also is a pic of the cam follower at only 33,000 km with just a Stage 1 tune and a stock HPFP.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
My next big mod is a set of coils :thumbsup: Debating on which brand, though. I'm looking at FK Silverlines or KW V2s.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I need the Silverlines as it snows a lot here in the Winter. How is the ride quality of the FKs? I don't want to lower my car that much, probably only around 2" or so.

fronts are slammed, rears i'm going lower tomorrow. ride quality is ok, but noticeably stiffer than oem.
if you've driven a cooper s, that's how it is.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
ride is pretty damn stiff on my fk highsports lol.. love them though

from stock to stage 1 you can definitely feel it. from stage 1 to stage 2 its mostly torque. you dont feel it as much though

projekt.kieru

Inspired.
The exhaust looks like it sticks out too much and its low. Can you post a side picture? I'm really interested in doing this after the winter snow season.

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
The exhaust looks like it sticks out too much and its low. Can you post a side picture? I'm really interested in doing this after the winter snow season.

I have the same bumper+exhaust and I agree it looks a little low . At least your tips look equal in length, on mine the left tip is shorter than the right so it leans to the left making the the rear tip section crooked . Its now fixed though, I had to straighten it out with a couple clamps and whatnot.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I have the same bumper+exhaust and I agree it looks a little low . At least your tips look equal in length, on mine the left tip is shorter than the right so it leans to the left making the the rear tip section crooked . Its now fixed though, I had to straighten it out with a couple clamps and whatnot.

That's why I'm waiting to take pics. I have to go under the car this weekend and adjust the clamps so everything is nice and flush. I can deal with it for now, though. Would adjusting the clamps help make it hang close to the underbody or do I have to do some extra steps?