GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you let others drive your car?

senna1

Ready to race!
- What if they paid you for the ride?

- Are there cars you've always wanted to test drive, without the hassle of going to a dealership? Would you pay to drive them?

- What if there was an open marketplace with a network of car enthusiasts that were both a) willing to let others test drive their cars and b) you offered to allow others to drive for a small $$. Would you be interested?

Just curious...And if you're a computer programmer - let's talk.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
- What if they paid you for the ride?

- Are there cars you've always wanted to test drive, without the hassle of going to a dealership? Would you pay to drive them?

- What if there was an open marketplace with a network of car enthusiasts that were both a) willing to let others test drive their cars and b) you offered to allow others to drive for a small $$. Would you be interested?

Just curious...And if you're a computer programmer - let's talk.

I would only let someone I know drive my car. So far that list includes my dad and my gf. My best friend hasn't even driven it yet, but I'd let him if he asked to. Sure there are plenty of cars I'd love the opportunity to drive, but unless it's on a track, there's no real way to properly test something out without MASSIVE risk of either damaging the car or getting a ticket. If youre paying the owner for the chance to drive as well as having to cover a track/organization fee, that's getting pretty damn expensive. There is a reason why all these hyper car driving experiences are $1000+ per car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wolverines_fan83

Ready to race!
I'm cool with letting friends drive my car, but letting a stranger drive my car for money is a definite NO. If someone paid to drive my car they may think they have the right to abuse it because they paid for it.

senna1

Ready to race!
Interesting, interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Another hypothetical:
Now - what if it was someone from this forum, say, in the same region and wanted to see what a stage 2 tune was like, etc. Would you feel more inclined then?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I have only let people that I know and also know who are capable of driving manual transmission well. I have no problem with that, strangers on the other hand I would not accept money to let them drive. I have taken people for rides in the passenger seat who have inquired what a tuned car is like, but not let them drive directly.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I think you're asking the wrong crowd... the general population would probably be fine with letting a stranger test drive their car for money.

On the other hand we are all here as enthusiasts and are over-possessive of our cars.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i feel like i would let a close friend who has driven tuned cars drive it. But i would probably give them way too many directions on HOW to drive it properly and they would eventually lose interest haha

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I'm very particular about who I let drive my car. I will let most any of my immediate family drive it as they all know how to drive stick (even my mom, she had a stick shift rabbit back in the 80's). In fact both my sisters have standard Honda fits. As for anyone else maybe a few close friends. But I'd never let anyone other than family take it out of sight. I'm just super protective of my stuff.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
I think you're asking the wrong crowd... the general population would probably be fine with letting a stranger test drive their car for money.

On the other hand we are all here as enthusiasts and are over-possessive of our cars.

This.

Simple joy rides can turn into a whoopsie. Curbing a wheel, misjudging a turn, unfamiliar blind spots, newer driver, etc. Worse case, armed robbery.

The only people I've personally known, who let anyone drive their car, is those who view a car as just that. A means of transportation.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
Strangers for money? No. I agree with NekroRocker. If someone pays for it they going to feel like they have to get to most out of the car and will/may probably end up abusing it. Friends and Family? Yes

And have you ever heard of Relay Rides? You can rent a strangers car for $. The owner has certain restrictions often times like 25 and up or the amount of miles a day. A friend of mine rented a GTR from it.

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I haven't even let my parents drive my car... lol, my roomate is pretty much the only other person that has driven it...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I don't even like giving my dad the keys, so hell no I wouldn't let someone else drive my car. The only way it would be possible is if I was absolutely sure you were a better driver than myself.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I would let many of my DFD forum bros drive my car....

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
My father in law breaks everything that he touches. It's not his fault, and he's not being malicious just not talented with things technological. He managed to fuck up my blinds, lawn mower, and dozens of other less notable objects. When I knew that he was going to drive my car to bring our first son to the hospital to meet his new brother for the first time I cringed. Curb rashed tires or worse awaited. Thankfully it only came back with a check engine light.